Holy F***ing snow | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Holy F***ing snow

I don't remember when last time someone passing me upset me ... but it's always the people who shouldn't drive in winter (because they can barely drive when it rains ...) driving so slow, that it's almost to the point of stalling going through a turn. I think they somewhere deep down believe that the car can flip on its roof, or that they will do 360 the moment they start turning .... unbelievably frustrating. It's an art to stay calm ... LOL

A corolla yesterday slowed down to <10 km/h to make a right turn at an intersection, then sped up to 40 km/h on the straight (in a 70). It's the same as stupid people on bikes, if the fastest you can safely turn is 50 km/h, maybe you shouldn't be doing 250 between the corners.

Last night, I saw 4 Mississauga Transit buses crashed within a 500 metre stretch on Collegeway between Mississauga road and Erin Mills Parkway. The road was a sheet of ice and those RWD busses just folded in half, presumably under the slightest braking.

14596994741_73f0196802_b.jpg

How can my winter tires cause me to crash on dry roads?
Are winter tires more of a hazard in dry roads than No-Season tires on ice?
You don't get to choose your road surface, you get to choose your tires. They need to perform on both dry, wet, snowy and icy roads.

Snow tires are better on some surfaces and worse on others. It's not a clear victory for winter tires, they are always going to be a compromise. So on dry roads, you have compromised grip with snow tires. Does that make you a Darwin candidate if you crash due to lack of grip on the dry?

You don't get to choose your road surface, you get to choose your tires. They need to perform on both dry, wet, snowy and icy roads.

Snow tires are better on some surfaces and worse on others. It's not a clear victory for winter tires, they are always going to be a compromise. So on dry roads, you have compromised grip with snow tires. Does that make you a Darwin candidate if you crash due to lack of grip on the dry?

It's well known that the advantage of "winter tires" over all season happens when the temp drop below 7 degrees. Dry or wet road conditions, hence the name nowadays is winter tires not "snow" tires.

It's well known that the advantage of "winter tires" over all season happens when the temp drop below 7 degrees. Dry or wet road conditions, hence the name nowadays is winter tires not "snow" tires.
Well known based on marketing material, not actual tests results. If the manu8facturers could figure out an excuse, they'd get you to change tires with every 5 degree change in temperature.

Well known based on marketing material, not actual tests results. If the manu8facturers could figure out an excuse, they'd get you to change tires with every 5 degree change in temperature.

Go and conduct your own test then if you don't believe the kool aid. Besides all season tires won't wear faster due to slippage caused by the colder temps, so yes I can see what those sneaky tire guys are up to /sarcasm

Go and conduct your own test then if you don't believe the kool aid. Besides all season tires won't wear faster due to slippage caused by the colder temps, so yes I can see what those sneaky tire guys are up to /sarcasm
Yeah, there's zero advantage in doubling the number of tires people own. /sarcasm

Yeah, there's zero advantage in doubling the number of tires people own. /sarcasm

I think its fantastic.

The life of my all seasons extend now meaning I don't have to replace them as often, as they are not needed year round, and I get the bonus security of proper winter tires for......... winter.

Imagine that....... win/win all the way around.

You never really own the tires, you rent them./ sarcasm This is fun.

I think its fantastic.

The life of my all seasons extend now meaning I don't have to replace them as often, as they are not needed year round, and I get the bonus security of proper winter tires for......... winter.

As long as you drive enough to wear them out. Now you know that according to tire manufacturers the tires will explode into steel shrapnel after five years even if you don't use them, right? /sarcasm

It's too bad service stations can't get a cut of the action by forcing people to visit 2x a year too. /sarcasm

I think its fantastic.

I've noticed that to combat this loophole the manufacturers have shortened the life span of tires. You used to see higher km warranty. If I recall correctly.
This is probably caused by the rise in diabetes from the all seasons being inactive all winter/ sarcasm
(am I doing it right?)

As long as you drive enough to wear them out. Now you know that according to tire manufacturers the tires will explode into steel shrapnel after five years even if you don't use them, right? /sarcasm

No need to worry about "driving long enough" actually, if you stick to the good brands, like Michelin, they warranty their tires for 6 years, and claim a typical 10 year life.

Standard Limited Warranty (All Michelin® Tires)
All Michelin® tires have a Standard Manufacturer's Limited Warranty, which covers defects in workmanship and materials for the life of the original usable tread, or for 6 years from date of purchase, whichever occurs first. See warranty for details

That's plenty long enough for me. /no sarcasm

Last edited:
Nevermind, I'll see myself out.

You're really getting the ebb and flow of this place. High marks considering only member since May. Keep up the good work:icescream:

You're really getting the ebb and flow of this place. High marks considering only member since May. Keep up the good work:icescream:

Thank you ?
I've been learning from one of the greats. / not sarcasm

I always thought that people on a motorcycle forum would atleast know the importance of tires and how they work related to different temperatures...

But hey i guess you go hit the race track in touring tires, cause slicks and hypersport tires are just a marketing gimmick

I always thought that people on a motorcycle forum would atleast know the importance of tires and how they work related to different temperatures...

But hey i guess you go hit the race track in touring tires, cause slicks and hypersport tires are just a marketing gimmick

No gimmick. But when you see vintage race bikes with 120 width rear tires go fast you might be lead to conclude performance gains are very incremental on the upper end.

Snow tires are better in the snow, that's proven and it's not a point of contention. I think you're missing the point here.

Snow tires are better in the snow, that's proven and it's not a point of contention. I think you're missing the point here.

No point, everyone is gargling tirerack's koolaid. I am with you, all seasons are nearly as good. I buy them because I like to get retarded when it snows. Getting first tracks in vermont after a storm is hard if you live in ON ;)

Here's an INDEPENDENT test from University of Fairbanks, Alaska. I found it while researching studs. They were using blizzaks for winter wires. The results are almost sad. I realize the tests are from 1994 and winter tires improved since then, but it's fair to assume the all seasons improved too.

33thwf4.jpg

2ho9vdf.jpg

2wguedc.jpg

Back
Top Bottom