GTAM at Grand Bend Weekend - Aug 23/24 2014 | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

GTAM at Grand Bend Weekend - Aug 23/24 2014

Will be in for Sunday. Gonna bring the wife for a beach day on Saturday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds good, Paul.
My votes are for Forward Screaming Alien and Long Track.

Sounds good, Paul.
My votes are for Forward Screaming Alien and Long Track.

my vote is for reverse screaming alien and technical track

So you still coming then, baby will already be born

edit: I didn't see the bottom of your message lol
My wife is due on august 22.

Sweet I can totally do that weekend

Hi, all.
I've been lurking on the Site for a while (very interesting).
I've been street riding since 16 now I'm 49. Bikes have always been on the sport side, Gs1100, Zx10, ZZR1200,1400GTR (cause Concours14 just sounds old manish). Taught Riders Ed for 11 years, I've done the level 2 course at Fast, use go do the P.S.S.B.R. And Big-yearly done a trip to the Ga. TN. Carolina areas.

I've finally finished my street, track day bike I've always wanted ZX7R, full original fairings and a set of Street Shark Skinz. My gear fits the requirements for the weekend, I'm still looking for a good back protector before my first track day. Bike is small on me as I'm 6'4, 230lbs.

I'm wondering 2 things,:
1) would this be a good time to run my first track day, I can only make the Saturday
2) What is considered beginner, is that where I belong, if I'm really good at the beginner level, can I move to intermediate.

Thanks
Dan

This would be a great first trackday! Lots of friendly people , lots willing to help,the track is easy to learn aswell
If you get comfortable you can move up any time

If you like the gap/technical roads, the track is likely the place for you. Every track day there are usually a few first time riders, so your situation is typical. You can always move up if needed, however riding on the track is not like riding on the street, so take your time to learn the correct lines/braking points before adding speed to it. Most trackdays have organizers/experienced riders that will take you out and show you the lines. We were all at our first track day once. If in doubt, ask one of the quicker red group riders, they'll show you the way.

As for bikes, don't worry about the size. Racer5 starts students out on 125s. I'm 6'3 220 + gear and started on an ex500, it looked like a gorilla molesting a bicycle.

Hi, all.
I've been lurking on the Site for a while (very interesting).
I've been street riding since 16 now I'm 49. Bikes have always been on the sport side, Gs1100, Zx10, ZZR1200,1400GTR (cause Concours14 just sounds old manish). Taught Riders Ed for 11 years, I've done the level 2 course at Fast, use go do the P.S.S.B.R. And Big-yearly done a trip to the Ga. TN. Carolina areas.

I've finally finished my street, track day bike I've always wanted ZX7R, full original fairings and a set of Street Shark Skinz. My gear fits the requirements for the weekend, I'm still looking for a good back protector before my first track day. Bike is small on me as I'm 6'4, 230lbs.

I'm wondering 2 things,:
1) would this be a good time to run my first track day, I can only make the Saturday
2) What is considered beginner, is that where I belong, if I'm really good at the beginner level, can I move to intermediate.

Thanks
Dan

I'm going to give this a shot. After seeing the soar guys at Grand bend it looks like a riot. Any thoughts/tips/advice for another person on their first track day?

I'm wondering 2 things,:

Thanks
Dan

1 - Yes for sure, GTAM days usually has a couple guys riding around in diff groups to be sure everyone is in the proper group. You can ask them (or anyone really, that knows the track and layout) to show you around.
2 - You should for sure start in beginner if you have never been to the track. Learn the lines and then work on getting faster after you know the lines. If for some reason you are really fast and don't belong in beginner then you will get moved.

I'm going to give this a shot. After seeing the soar guys at Grand bend it looks like a riot. Any thoughts/tips/advice for another person on their first track day?

Read the sticky. If you have any friends that will go with you then bring them. It is better to go with someone for your own enjoyment and also in case something happens.
Just go out and have fun, don't try to be the fastest guy on the track, try and be the smoothest and speed with increase by itself. Be sure to have lots of dispossable income as you will burn threw it all once you finish the day with a big smile on your face and be hooked.

Thanks for the positive responses.
A couple more questions, hope you don't mind.

How many people show up for this event?
What happens if it rains, I don't mind riding in the rain, but pushing it in the rain isn't my thing.
How many sessions per level and how long or number of laps per session?
How many riders in a group?

Thanks again
Dan

Usually a lot (popular event with good reason)
If it rains, most people won't ride in the rain, but the possibility of it raining is the risk you take by pre-registering ... the possibility of groups being full is the risk you take by NOT pre-registering ... deal with it.
Usually there are 3 groups (beginner, intermediate, advanced) and sessions are typically 15 - 20 minutes so not uncommonly there will be 3 to 4 sessions before lunch and 3 to 4 after lunch ... most people are tired out before the end of the day, I almost always skip the last session of a track day.
I don't know how many they are allowing in each group; there is a limit to avoid overcrowding on track.

So I just signed up and I'm looking forward to the day.
Hope to meed a bunch of new people and have a great day.
I'm just doing Saturday and have booked at the beginner Green level.
I'm looking forward to someone to show me the lines.
I'll be riding old school on my ZX7R (picture below is street fairing I have a similar set of Shark skinz for the track).
I cant wait.
IMG_3538.jpg

Back
Top Bottom