GPS options? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

GPS options?

I feel like after being used to nice, high resolution screens on a phone for so long, its is hard to look at an old style GPS screen.

I have a Zumo 396 which works great (when I use it which isn't much) but I find the screen hard to read. I want something bigger and more vibrant.

just use a phone imo... I was worried I would lose the phone, or it wouldnt work well...but google offline maps + a cable to the usb worked perfect for me...a dedicated GPS unit would have been money wasted..
(I used an older samsung phone, and kept main phone as backup)

Some people say they can overheat...but thats only if you stop moving and leave it out in the sun...
If you keep riding, the wind keeps it cool, or if you stop somewhere and take it inside without, or cover it up with your gloves, you have no issues.
Some phone screens are hard to read in bright sun light. Some work better in portrait mode than landscape mode.

My old phone that I usually mount to the bike is an Honor View 10 but the screen is hard to read in bright sunlight. Landscape is a no go.

My main phone (Google Pixel 6 Pro) is fine to read in either orientation but I don't want to mount my main phone to the bike. Hence why I am looking for a Android Auto screen as I would like to continue to keep that phone in my tank bag. Too big for pocket.

Some phone screens are hard to read in bright sun light. Some work better in portrait mode than landscape mode.

My old phone that I usually mount to the bike is an Honor View 10 but the screen hard to read in bright sunlight. Landscape is a no go.

My main phone (Google Pixel 6 Pro) is fine to read in either orientation but I don't want to mount my main phone to the bike. Hence why I am looking for a Android Auto screen as I would like to continue to keep that phone in my tank bag. Too big for pocket.
I found quadlock to be quite good for keeping it secure...but I understand your hesitancy..

I imagine you would have to fiddle around with different angles on the quadlock to get an ideal angle that works best for you..

I randomly discovered android auto on my bike 2 days into the trip and the built in tft screen is quite good it turns out...
its made by garmin specifically for honda, keeps the glare off...adjusts to light...made navigation much easier...

My old phone that I usually mount to the bike is an Honor View 10 but the screen is hard to read in bright sunlight. Landscape is a no go.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S21+ in a quadlock case and used it on both my HD Fatbob 114 and now on my HD Pan America Special.
I can tell you it is a very secure mounting system, but I understand your reservations in mounting an expensive phone to you motorcycle.

Like @bigpoppa I can see my GPS on the tft (infotainment) screen on my HD Pan America Special but for some silly reason HD only allows the HD app to do this (paired to the phone), so I've been using it and it is actually not that bad.

But, I tend to keep my GPS on my phone and the gauges etc. on the tft this way I can use any GPS app I wish.

I think my 9 yr old Zumo 590 might have bit the dust on my last trip. Is the Zumo XT the newest and best one to get?

I waa really happy with the 590 and want something with at least the same features.

Thanks!

I think my 9 yr old Zumo 590 might have bit the dust on my last trip. Is the Zumo XT the newest and best one to get?
I waa really happy with the 590 and want something with at least the same features.

Might want to look at the Zumo XT2:

It's the latest flagship offering from Garmin. All the features of the 595 + more.

I have the XT - smaller screen-sized version of the XT2, same tech. Much faster redraw than previous generation Zumos. Also, got a Touratech Locking Mount as well so I can leave the GPS on the bike for short periods.

DSC_1104-X2.jpg

Might want to look at the Zumo XT2:

It's the latest flagship offering from Garmin. All the features of the 595 + more.

I have the XT - smaller screen-sized version of the XT2, same tech. Much faster redraw than previous generation Zumos. Also, got a Touratech Locking Mount as well so I can leave the GPS on the bike for short periods.

DSC_1104-X2.jpg
Same setup for me. It's bulletproof. Been thru lots of torrential rain storms. Dropped a few times. The redraws and visibility are great.

If you are not in immediate need, maybe wait for a sale.

I think it was on sale earlier this year for 529. I think it it's 639 now.

@shanekingsley
What is the power cable hook up on your 590 vs a 396 like.
If they are the same you can borrow my 396 while you search for a good deal.on the XT. I don't use mine much.

@shanekingsley
What is the power cable hook up on your 590 vs a 396 like.
If they are the same you can borrow my 396 while you search for a good deal.on the XT. I don't use mine much.
Thanks! The cradles are a different size however - I actually have a 396 powered cradle/mount which came with the bike and I swapped out for my 590 cradle.

I'm also not sure what is happening with my 590, because just before I left for the trip I did a map update and during the course of the trip the unit would just shut down while riding. I think it's related to either the battery, or most likely the connection between the cradle and the unit. Seems like it happens the most when I'm riding on bumpy roads or moving quickly. But also not sure if it's related to map update (unlikely).

Thanks! The cradles are a different size however - I actually have a 396 powered cradle/mount which came with the bike and I swapped out for my 590 cradle.

I'm also not sure what is happening with my 590, because just before I left for the trip I did a map update and during the course of the trip the unit would just shut down while riding. I think it's related to either the battery, or most likely the connection between the cradle and the unit. Seems like it happens the most when I'm riding on bumpy roads or moving quickly. But also not sure if it's related to map update (unlikely).
If you have a mount and power for the 396 than that makes it that much easier. My cradle is easy to remove but the cable would be a problem and require to undo half of my winter wiring project.

I am hoping to use it this weekend but you are welcome to use it after that.

If you have a mount and power for the 396 than that makes it that much easier. My cradle is easy to remove but the cable would be a problem and require to undo half of my winter wiring project.

I am hoping to use it this weekend but you are welcome to use it after that.
Thanks, but I think I am buying an XT later today:)

I've been using various Garmin car GPS devices for years, usual a refurb unit with route capability. Routes created initially in MS Streets and Trips, now Tyre.

Finally gave in and purchased the XT. Great GPS IMO, certainly appreciate its ability to function in heavy rain as this was an issue with car GPS'.

Paid $560 for it about 18 months ago at GPS City, purchase the car adaptor kit as well. Price today is $670. I see the XT2 is $799.

Earlier this year I finally gave up on my fleet of 2720's and went with the XT. I prefer certain aspects of the 2720, such as the button for "map" which is convenient when I'm four levels into a menu and want to get back to the map but I'll begrudgingly admit the XT is the superior device.

The traffic feature of it isn't very helpful. It only seems to work for major highways.

Not sure how the sequencing of the menu's work on the XT, but on the 590 and other newer Garmin's, if you press and hold down the back button, it will take you to the home screen, which then allows you to press into the map instead of hitting the back button 4x or whatever...

Not sure how the sequencing of the menu's work on the XT, but on the 590 and other newer Garmin's, if you press and hold down the back button, it will take you to the home screen, which then allows you to press into the map instead of hitting the back button 4x or whatever...

Can confirm.

On the XT, no matter how deep in the menu system, one long-press of the back button in the lower left corner of the screen will always take you back to the home screen and then one more press on the map icon to get back to map.

Back
Top Bottom