GPS options? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

GPS options?

I have over 40,000 km on my iPad mini (2017) as a navigation device and that includes roads so rough I had to ride the pegs.

I have a AliExpress Android Auto head unit mounted on my handlebars looks like a GPS but runs Android Auto from your phone which stays in your pocket.

Sent from the future
I have one of those in a box, bought it for the flybridge on my boat -- It didn't work out because I couldn't read it in bright light. I changed to a rugged tablet. I never thought about trying the head unit on my bike... can you read yours in sunlight?

I have over 40,000 km on my iPad mini (2017) as a navigation device and that includes roads so rough I had to ride the pegs.
How is it mounted?

What about weather?

Can you read it in bright sunlight?

I have a AliExpress Android Auto head unit mounted on my handlebars looks like a GPS but runs Android Auto from your phone which stays in your pocket.

Sent from the future
Can you share which one you have ?

Mounted on bars and waterproof works fine in sun.
063f317db396367da11dc201ac6029c2.jpg
25cfb5bc059049b906a22bdfdd3f6b66.jpg

Geez, guys. Take some advice from a guy with over a half century or riding .

Play it safe and keep your focus on the road. I just came off a 300km ride today and one of the guys on a new $5K BMW was constantly on his head phone discussing with his wife the dinner plans tonight ...wtf!

When we stopped for a break, he refused to take off his helmet in this heat to talk with us.

Anyone that rides knows of the issues trying to sort out your GIS iPhone or whatever Apps when enroute. I'm surprised there aren't more road related issues from folks looking downward wondering how why they were day dreaming and went past their turn-off.

Just buy a hard paper map and study it before you head out, most importantly your brain may thank you for it later. An excellent one is from Butler that i purchased for my August road trip into the US.

Nuff said.

Play it safe and keep your focus on the road. I just came off a 300km ride today and one of the guys on a new $5K BMW was constantly on his head phone discussing with his wife the dinner plans tonight ...wtf!

When we stopped for a break, he refused to take off his helmet in this heat to talk with us.

Anyone that rides knows of the issues trying to sort out your GIS iPhone or whatever Apps when enroute. I'm surprised there aren't more road related issues from folks looking downward wondering how why they were day dreaming and went past their turn-off.

Just buy a hard paper map and study it before you head out, most importantly your brain may thank you for it later. An excellent one is from Butler that i purchased for my August road trip into the US.

Nuff said.
I hear ya - it's hard working all that stuff. Sometimes I wish I had 2 extra hands!

23972123804624123615316.jpg

Nuff said.
Do you not ever check your mirrors? I agree with you on being distracted with phones, music and comunication devises but it takes less time to glance at my navigation device than to check both mirrors. 55 years riding and 10 years as a driving instructor.

How is it mounted?

What about weather?

It is mounted in the center of the handle bars using a Ram Mount with iPad adapter plate that then sits inside a plastic electrical box.
The box helps to cut down on the sunlight glare. In case of rain I have a Ziploc bag (good for 2 meters depth of water).
There is enough contrast with the dark blue route line to se it even with my tinted visor.
If the blue line disapears I know I have missed a turn and stop and reduce the scale of the map until I see where I went wrong.

IMG_1809 copy.JPG

I'm no where near your age (I'm not calling you old by any means) but I feel like my eyes are older than my body. I do have good vision (20/20?) but I do like bigger screens.

I like this one over the 5 inch mentioned earlier.

I might give this a try as well or maybe look for other similar options.

How is it mounted?

What about weather?

Just discovered MapsMe has a screen setting (bright) that lightens the background colours and gives more contrast to the route line.

^ That's something to be aware off yes. As soon as it's used, bam $12 for the USA ($15 elsewhere).
Same with Bell. I disabled mobile data before crossing the border, didn't make any calls or send messages. There were 2 incoming calls (both spam) and I rejected them. As they cames on different days Bell charged me $26+HST even though I didn't answer these calls. I contacted Bell and was told that to avoid Roaming charges you need to put the phone in airplane mode or physically remove sim card

Years ago, I relied on GPS unit (ViaMichelin).
Later, switched to phone apps, settled on OSMand. Still use it a lot, but definitely prefer GoogleMaps.
GoogleMaps saved me many hours by routing around construction zones.
What I do now (mot commonly), I use GoogleMaps for days when I have to make it to a certain spot, and I'm tight with time, and for other days when I'm just taking it easy, I switch to OSMand...
I am considering 7" tablet as well... It will be my next upgrade...

Years ago, I relied on GPS unit (ViaMichelin).
Later, switched to phone apps, settled on OSMand. Still use it a lot, but definitely prefer GoogleMaps.
GoogleMaps saved me many hours by routing around construction zones.
What I do now (mot commonly), I use GoogleMaps for days when I have to make it to a certain spot, and I'm tight with time, and for other days when I'm just taking it easy, I switch to OSMand...
I am considering 7" tablet as well... It will be my next upgrade...
I have Samsung Galaxy Tab Active3 Galaxy Tab Active3 (LTE) | Samsung Canada which I'm considering selling. PM me if interested. I also 3D printed a hard case for it to use on a bike.

Good thread revival as I’m currently debating.

Have a Samsung galaxy Note 8 that’s just taking space, and a few iPad minis also collecting dust.

I knew I could use the phone as a GPS without a SIM card, but didn’t know about the iPad. Although seeing @guzzirider ’s photo it looks awful big.

Also have a 10” Samsung tablet but that may just be huge overkill.

I guess I could sell them all and buy a dedicated unit, as the one I received from a GTAMer is showing it’s age although it still works well.

Thoughts?

Good thread revival as I’m currently debating.

Have a Samsung galaxy Note 8 that’s just taking space, and a few iPad minis also collecting dust.

I knew I could use the phone as a GPS without a SIM card, but didn’t know about the iPad. Although seeing @guzzirider ’s photo it looks awful big.

Also have a 10” Samsung tablet but that may just be huge overkill.

I guess I could sell them all and buy a dedicated unit, as the one I received from a GTAMer is showing it’s age although it still works well.

Thoughts?
just use a phone imo... I was worried I would lose the phone, or it wouldnt work well...but google offline maps + a cable to the usb worked perfect for me...a dedicated GPS unit would have been money wasted..
(I used an older samsung phone, and kept main phone as backup)

Some people say they can overheat...but thats only if you stop moving and leave it out in the sun...
If you keep riding, the wind keeps it cool, or if you stop somewhere and take it inside without, or cover it up with your gloves, you have no issues.

Back
Top Bottom