GPS options? | GTAMotorcycle.com

GPS options?

bigpoppa

Going to be doing some cross border touring, and not sure if I want to shell for a dedicated GPS unit...

What are my options? Rely on hotel wifi to download offline maps?
I tested out an e-sim locally and it was trash even in Canada...
Get a local phone outside the country and use it for GPS?
Im fairly comfortable with maps and compasses as well, but that might be a bit time consuming...

I spoke to rogers and even a small amount of use, no matter how insignificant, is crazy roaming money.

If I do go the dedicated garmin route, how much work is it to install?

Agreed. For dedicated cross border touring I love using the dedicated GPS. Get a good mount, hardwire it to the bike and it will connect to your phone and Bluetooth comms.

If you want to save a bit of coin on the newer Garmin’s, think about using a Zumo 590 or 595, because they can be had for a bit cheaper and are quite feature rich.

I like my paper maps and toured with them for the first few years, but now I just keep them as backups if something goes wrong with the gps and even still, they just stay folded up in the luggage for the whole trip.

Going to be doing some cross border touring, and not sure if I want to shell for a dedicated GPS unit...

Im fairly comfortable with maps and compasses as well, but that might be a bit time consuming...

I spoke to rogers and even a small amount of use, no matter how insignificant, is crazy roaming money.

Just curious about the issues you had with the e-sim? Never used one, but my family has travelled using them and they thought it was the greatest thing.

I downloaded some app called offline maps and navigation, and then downloaded all the states I'd be going to, for when I want to look at a map.

That being said, I use a Zumo for a satnav.

Offline Google Maps are smaller than you think, and last for 30 days. Map size is roughly correlated with population density. All of southern Ontario is less than 1Gb, for instance, while all of Nova Scotia is 100Mb. So you probably don't need to load maps using hotel wifi every night on any moderately recent phone. No data or sim required at all on the road, unless you want live traffic updates. I've used many other offline GPS apps, but they all annoy me in different ways so I just stick with Google Maps now.

A phone with a water resistant IPX rating would be best, but try to shield or place the USB charger&plug so they're protected too. I've had some water seep in and interrupt the charging. If you're primarily going to be in a really built-up area with tall buildings you might also want an external GPS booster like a Garmin Glo for better reception.

However, a dedicated GPS unit has a lot of advantages. The best ones have transflective screens which make them more visible in direct sunlight without relying on a backlight, although those are becoming rarer in automotive/motorcycle units these days. The thing I like least about using a cellphone as a GPS unit is the display being barely readable in sunlight. This is particularly bad with Google Maps who have chosen the colour scheme with the least contrast possible. I exclusively own cheap phones though, so maybe this isn't such a problem if you have a fancy one.

If using your phone as a GPS, watch out for overheating from sunlight exposure. At best, it affects your phone's ability to charge and you could run down the battery. At worst, I've had my iPhone lock me out with a temperature warning and only allowed 911 calls until it cooled.

I have spare Garmin mount and Garmin Zumo 595

You are welcome to borrow it for your trip.

Regarding sim , you can get a t mobile sim from Amazon , i think it's like 30$ for 6 days, unlimited data. Works great everytime I visit US.

Just curious about the issues you had with the e-sim? Never used one, but my family has travelled using them and they thought it was the greatest thing.
Tried out Airalo, reviews rave about it ,the speed and connectivity was worse than dialup

Last edited:
I have spare Garmin mount and Garmin Zumo 595

You are welcome to borrow it for your trip.

Regarding sim , you can get a t mobile sim from Amazon , i think it's like 30$ for 6 days, unlimited data. Works great everytime I visit US.

this is great to know. thanks.

If using your phone as a GPS, watch out for overheating from sunlight exposure. At best, it affects your phone's ability to charge and you could run down the battery. At worst, I've had my iPhone lock me out with a temperature warning and only allowed 911 calls until it cooled.
You'll also kill the camera on many phones with image stabilization. Use an old phone you don't care about. Bonus points as with no SIM card in old phone, you can't accidentally use expensive data.

Your Rogers plan may have the Roam-Like-Home feature where for $12/day you dip into your normal pool of data that you have (as well as your normal pool of voice & texts).

Your Rogers plan may have the Roam-Like-Home feature where for $12/day you dip into your normal pool of data that you have (as well as your normal pool of voice & texts).
I like that most of the time. On vacation, my wifes phone decided to emergency call my phone (airplane mode was on but apparently android can get around that). That call that never connected cost $15. It's all or nothing with rogers. A single call or data packet and you pay the full daily rate even if it is 23:59. You pay again at 12:01 if you have another packet. If you are using your phone extensively, it's better than the old way but for occasional (or accidental use), it costs most people more.

^ That's something to be aware off yes. As soon as it's used, bam $12 for the USA ($15 elsewhere).

Can't you carplay/or android auto to your dash? Or are you going with your other bike?
Either way googlemaps shouldn't be a big deal to dowload offline maps, unless you are doing lots of States.
I also use MAPS.ME for offline as well.

I used my Beeline (which talks to your mobile) when down in PA and WV back in June. No issues.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

You can use the GPS chip in your iPhone or iPad and it requires NO DATA
I use a free app called MapMe that works iPhone/pad or Android.
Arrow stays in centre of screen and map moves under it. NO ANNOYING VOICE Instructions.
It has adjustable map sizes to give better indication of upcoming turns.
Free maps can be downloaded at home or anywhere there is free WiFi (eg. your hotel, school, hospital and most restaurants)
Maps me will generate it's own route but like most commercial gps units that is "shortest and fast" route (Interstates)
I generate my own maps in a Mac only program (Road Trip Planer) output as .gps file and then convert to a .kml file at Gpx2kml.com: convert gpx to kml online. It's free, simple and fast (free).
There are lots of mapping software for Windows/Android if you are use to dealing with "clunky".
.kml files give each segment as a different colour that sometime blends in with the road colour on the map.
see https://mapsme.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/210133609-How-to-change-the-color-of-kml-tracks-
This whole process works best on a large monitor.
A bit of work but if you ride off the beaten path its better than letting a gps set your route for you.
As to data use simply use WiFi calling or picture sending.
If you are laying on the side of the road are you really worried about roaming charges?
Telus does have a roaming plan based on a fixed price per day of usage.
I have never had a heat problem on my iPad even when it was in a plastic map window on my tank bag with 30+ degree day.

You'll also kill the camera on many phones with image stabilization. Use an old phone you don't care about. Bonus points as with no SIM card in old phone, you can't accidentally use expensive data.
True... im a victim. 2 year old Samsung just lost its ability to focus on back camera, and occassionally cant find satellites if it gets warm. this is vibration related damage from being mounted to my handlebars.

That said, I prefer Google maps over Garmin Zumo. im trying to find a reasonably priced 7" rugged tablet to use as my bike GPS.

True... im a victim. 2 year old Samsung just lost its ability to focus on back camera, and occassionally cant find satellites if it gets warm. this is vibration related damage from being mounted to my handlebars.

That said, I prefer Google maps over Garmin Zumo. im trying to find a reasonably priced 7" rugged tablet to use as my bike GPS.
I have a AliExpress Android Auto head unit mounted on my handlebars looks like a GPS but runs Android Auto from your phone which stays in your pocket.

Sent from the future

Back
Top Bottom