Gp service department | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Gp service department

If it was that low, (to cause damage) the idiot light would come on.
You'd hope. Some of them are set really low. The light comes on not much above zero psi. At that point, it is active damage but you may limit the extent if you quickly shut it down. I have no idea about that one.

Last edited:
I usually do my own basic maintenance , but you figure, on a brand new bike, want to keep the warranty, so take it in for break in service...an oil change...how hard can it be?

Lesson learned I suppose

Sure, I get it. Give the dealer the first service, then double check every single thing they did once you return home.

Your low oil level was not discovered for 5,000km. So how do we really know what the oil volume was when the bike left GP?

Not meaning to give you a hard time, bud; just trying to remain fair and reasonable.

Ride on!

No doubt. I would expect the same from any BMW dealer.

OMG. BMW (car) dealerships are the reason I started learning how to do more than just oil and brake changes. They're like Costco - I could never leave there without spending $500, and there was always something they messed up while they were in there. At least that's my experience with the location on Dixie in Mississauga even though they were supposed to have one of the best techs in the city. And the location on Steeles added a complimentary scrape to the corner of my car when they drove it into the bay and then blamed me for it being there already when I pointed it out to them immediately after. I have since heard good things about Maranello, but by then I was well on my way to dealing with everything myself.

Couple of comments............. maybe the bike was filled with the correct amount of oil, but there was (maybe still is.....) an oil consumption issue. Not impossible.

Second thing........ how often do you check your oil level?

I know we like to dump on dealers and service people, but it's not always their fault.

Wrenching is part of the fun of motorcycling for me.

I wish it was fun for me. I do it because I can't afford the shop rates.

$160/hour or I can do oil changes/valve inspections myself and save myself thousands of dollars every season. Wish I was rich enough to bring in a motorcycle for an oil change.

Couple of comments............. maybe the bike was filled with the correct amount of oil, but there was (maybe still is.....) an oil consumption issue. Not impossible.

Second thing........ how often do you check your oil level?

I know we like to dump on dealers and service people, but it's not always their fault.
Let's not overlook the usual 'I checked it on the side stand and it's low' or 'it's a dry sump motor and I didn't run it after the oil change then recheck' scenarios.

I was planning on getting adrian(ace mototech) to service it, but as everyone knows they're booked for 6 months in advance...

I asked the nice lady at reception if they knew of other reputable shops around(she suggested motorcycle republic)
I asked adrian, and he spoke VERY highly of him, says he used to work for them...

motorcycle republic is the name of the shop, the tech's name is mat, he has a remote garage setup, and is based out of cambridge, but apparently brampton is too far, so I rode to him, worth it though.

Thanks for the tip. I’m in Cambridge and will keep Matt in mind.

Like most have already mentioned, I have had my fair share of disappointments from dealer service as well. Usually it is something trivial that just makes me question their competency and other times far more extreme. I deal with each situation differently but never afraid to call ******** when it exists and make it known, diplomatically, that they **** the bed.

Personally, owning a BMW, I am thrilled that GP is a BMW dealer now. I hope that I won't have to use them for anything as I do as much of my regular maintenance as possible myself but it is great to have a service dealer close to home again.

I do make the effort to check my oil level regularly but found this gadget a real gem to have when it comes to tire pressure. Worth the investment.

When I picked up my new Tiger from GP, I trailered it home, then checked everything as best as I could.
Everything was within spec.

I did the same when I took it to the local shop for it's first service (GP is 400 or so km away).
The oil seemed high when on the centrestand, but when it was level on the tyres it was dead centre.

I've gone to pick up older bikes before from shops that were victims of their own success,
and not been able to get ten feet, so I always check as much as I can now, before I ride it.

OP, interesting experience you had with GP. Good to know and we should always be educated on when things dont go well.
On the other hand I have so far had good experiences with GP. Ever since Maranello closed and no longer supported Ducati. I was looking for a decent service shop that was able to do warranty work. I have been using GP for over 3 years now. Last service was back in Nov. So far nothing to complain about. Service was done on time, it was done as expected and prices are what I would expect. Best part form me is that they offer pick up and delivery service at a cost. So it's very convienient. I also try to book my yearly services on off peak times of the season e.g late Nov. This way they have the time to do the work properly and as per how long it should take.

they offer pick up and delivery service at a cost. So it's very convienient.
Never knew that ... awesome feature. Anyone know if Apex Cycle does the same or anyone else for that matter?

In the end, we pay for that somehow but if it's "free" to the owner, nice option to have.

No doubt. I would expect the same from any BMW dealer.
I don't think I said I would never go to GP or that I would boycott them. I know that well established BMW dealers have a big investment in tools and diagnostics that are BMW specific that a new dealership may not have yet and I'm happy where I am. For example, last week I was at Maranello for a scheduled 10,000 km maintenance interval. When I picked it up they had updated with the latest software/firmware without me even asking. I would have to be sure that GP has this capability.

Never knew that ... awesome feature. Anyone know if Apex Cycle does the same or anyone else for that matter?

In the end, we pay for that somehow but if it's "free" to the owner, nice option to have.
Just to be clear the pick up and delivery service is extra. It depends on how far away also. They may give you some discount if you are doing a large service for example. The pick up service is good. They use a closed trailor so no concerns on weather or time of year.

I don't think I said I would never go to GP or that I would boycott them. I know that well established BMW dealers have a big investment in tools and diagnostics that are BMW specific that a new dealership may not have yet and I'm happy where I am. For example, last week I was at Maranello for a scheduled 10,000 km maintenance interval. When I picked it up they had updated with the latest software/firmware without me even asking. I would have to be sure that GP has this capability.
Any authorized Dealer , whether its BMW, Honda, Ducati etc. Will be able to do the firmware update. In fact its the first item they check when I'm booking the service even before they recieve the bike. Simply by using your VIN they check the service history. No different than any car service at a Dealership.

Back
Top Bottom