Gp service department | GTAMotorcycle.com

Gp service department

bigpoppa

Finally found a new go to mechanic, he worked for Adrian, and came highly recommended, he’s also a bmw master tech.

Anyway, took the AT in for a quick service before I go on longer tours, turns out the bike had half the recommended oil…it was last serviced at GP bikes last year for the break in…someone there ****** up. Thankfully there is no damage to the bike, and it runs better than ever.

We both agreed it’s highly unlikely that a brand new Honda would burn through exactly 2L of oil in 5k Kms…

They’re expanding, adding more and more brands, but turns out their service department is trash.
Something to consider…

Strongly considering just doing the break in on the KTM myself now…

Finally found a new go to mechanic, he worked for Adrian, and came highly recommended, he’s also a bmw master tech.

Anyway, took the AT in for a quick service before I go on longer tours, turns out the bike had half the recommended oil…it was last serviced at GP bikes last year for the break in…someone there ****** up. Thankfully there is no damage to the bike, and it runs better than ever.

We both agreed it’s highly unlikely that a brand new Honda would burn through exactly 2L of oil in 5k Kms…

They’re expanding, adding more and more brands, but turns out their service department is trash.
Something to consider…

Strongly considering just doing the break in on the KTM myself now…
I had heard similar stories recently about GP, disappointing.

Don't forget to share your new contact.

Thanks for sharing, good to know.

I have to ask do you not check your oil? I check oil and tire pressure before every ride.
(yes my bike still blew up, not the point :()
occasionally

I had heard similar stories recently about GP, disappointing.

Don't forget to share your new contact.
I was planning on getting adrian(ace mototech) to service it, but as everyone knows they're booked for 6 months in advance...

I asked the nice lady at reception if they knew of other reputable shops around(she suggested motorcycle republic)
I asked adrian, and he spoke VERY highly of him, says he used to work for them...

motorcycle republic is the name of the shop, the tech's name is mat, he has a remote garage setup, and is based out of cambridge, but apparently brampton is too far, so I rode to him, worth it though.

Occasionally but not in 5000 km?

I never trust anyone to do something properly so I double check their work where possible. For oil changes, that means I check the level right after.

If a vehicle has a history of behaving, I do not check oil or tire psi daily. A quick visual inspection is my daily routine. Full checkup before a trip.
spent most of this year riding aprilias and KTMs...baller problems

When you have a multi-line dealership like GP, it's going to be tough to find enough techs to go around.
They're probably so busy doing PDIs, first services and bolting on accessories they don't have time for much else.
Ultimately it means a lot more work for the independents.

Go to enough dealerships for service and you'll find that each and everyone of them will let you down eventually.

The trick is to either find one that screws up the least, or do the work yourself if it's not too complicated or doesn't require specialty tools.

GP is okay. I've had my share of bad experiences with them just like every other dealership I've been to.

Also, there is this expectation with newer riders that motorcycles are as maintenance-free - or maintenance-light - as cars are. Maybe in the future they will be, but as of now, this is still not the case. Regular inspection (above and beyond responding to yellow/red lights on the dash) and owner-maintenance is still required given how tight the tolerances are and how jammed in most of the mechanicals are in such a tight space.

Yeah yeah, OK Boomer and all that shiite.

Thanks for sharing this as it helps me a lot. I live within 2km of GP and with the closing of Endras BMW, I've gone to Maranello for all my needs and been happy with their service. When I saw that GP had BMW I would've considered giving them a try but clearly now I'll stick with Maranello .

occasionally

Not good enough. C'mon BP! You have to stay on top of this stuff.

Also, there is this expectation with newer riders that motorcycles are as maintenance-free - or maintenance-light - as cars are. Maybe in the future they will be, but as of now, this is still not the case. Regular inspection (above and beyond responding to yellow/red lights on the dash) and owner-maintenance is still required given how tight the tolerances are and how jammed in most of the mechanicals are in such a tight space.

So true. Some riders expect their bikes to be miracle machines, and refuse to pick up a wrench (or learn) for even the most trivial thing. Wrenching is part of the fun of motorcycling for me.

When I saw that GP had BMW I would've considered giving them a try but clearly now I'll stick with Maranello .

Really? Based on one review from a rider who doesn't check his oil level? (No offense, BP!) Why don't you give GP a chance and judge for yourself?

Thanks for sharing this as it helps me a lot. I live within 2km of GP and with the closing of Endras BMW, I've gone to Maranello for all my needs and been happy with their service. When I saw that GP had BMW I would've considered giving them a try but clearly now I'll stick with Maranello .
I'm with Jayell. I would use this as a cautionary tale but wouldn't boycott GP for this. Something like SON continuously having brakes fail and/or fall off after service would be far more worrying to me.

So true. Some riders expect their bikes to be miracle machines, and refuse to pick up a wrench (or learn) for even the most trivial thing. Wrenching is part of the fun of motorcycling for me.
On more than one occasion I've offered to show a new rider how to adjust the clutch cable or lube and adjust the drive chain. Sometimes I've been met with blank stares (no one ever told me that?) to eager enthusiasm. I'm always willing to help out the latter.

Not good enough. C'mon BP! You have to stay on top of this stuff.
I usually do my own basic maintenance , but you figure, on a brand new bike, want to keep the warranty, so take it in for break in service...an oil change...how hard can it be? 🤷‍♂️

Lesson learned I suppose

I usually do my own basic maintenance , but you figure, on a brand new bike, want to keep the warranty, so take it in for break in service...an oil change...how hard can it be? 🤷‍♂️

Lesson learned I suppose
Right to repair laws allow you to do your own maintenance as long as you keep records AND don't do it wrong. It cannot affect the warranty.

The problem is one of context. We don't have enough to make a judgement.
From your sound of it, a direct competitor stated that the oil was only half full, several months after the original service occurred.
Colour me skeptical without supporting evidence.

I imagine if one caught an issue right away, and went back, something could be done.

Really? Based on one review from a rider who doesn't check his oil level? (No offense, BP!) Why don't you give GP a chance and judge for yourself?
If it ain't broken...

Maranello service techs are excellent.

how hard can it be? 🤷‍♂️
I've always done all of my own maintenance, and that experience has taught me how easy it is to miss or forget something. And I'm working in an environment completely under my own control, with no interruptions or time pressures like would be present in a service shop. It's not an excuse for a shop to miss something important, but it does explain why I inherently don't trust anyone else to work on my machines. I think if I had to use a shop for service I'd be double checking everything they could have possibly touched.

Where's Maranello now? They've long exited the Steeles location - place sells used cars now.

EDIT - I see they're up in Vaughan now.

Back
Top Bottom