EESA gun club open house - June 7/8 9am - 4pm | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

EESA gun club open house - June 7/8 9am - 4pm

Re: EESA gun club open house - June 7/8 9am - 5pm

Thanks. But i need to work on getting a license 1st. Was looking at a bunch of sites and they are all so confusing though

It's actually pretty straight forward. As long as you're not looking to get anything restricted or prohibited you just need your Possession and Acquisition License (P.A.L.) You get that by taking the Canadian Firearm Safety Course. It's a one or two day course depending on where you do it and it's about $160.

I'm doing my CFSC 19th and 21st.

http://www.firearms-hunter-education.com/coursedates.html

Ahaan. Ill look it up. Thanks for the link. What do you mean by restricted ?

Ahaan. Ill look it up. Thanks for the link. What do you mean by restricted ?

Non-restricted are hunting rifles and shotguns, plus SOME sporting versions of "tactical" rifles. Restricted are handguns, short-barreled rifles and AR's.

Yes i want a handgun though

So you need to go through the 2 day restricted and non-restricted course, plus the application process is a bit more involved.. They actually WILL call your references and give you a thorough interview (hint: you don't like action movies, the most action in a movie that you've seen was in Rush even though you didn't like the confrontational attitude between the 2 racers) :cool:

Yes i want a handgun though

I would look into it before you start spending any money. From what I've heard it's fairly involved. There are supposedly things like mandatory memberships to a gun club (which aren't cheap). I was thinking about it a few years ago and although it seemed cool, it was way more expensive and involved than it was worth for me.

On the other hand, I have a friend who owns a semi auto 22 rim fire. These (for some strange reason) fall into the category of unrestricted, so all you need is your PAL. Way more fun and way less work than a handgun.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Mossberg-T-trade-Tactical-Semiautomatic-Rimfire-Rifles/1367701.uts

Last edited:

I would look into it before you start spending any money. From what I've heard it's fairly involved. There are supposedly things like mandatory memberships to a gun club (which aren't cheap). I was thinking about it a few years ago and although it seemed cool, it was way more expensive and involved than it was worth for me.

On the other hand, I have a friend who owns a semi auto 22 rim fire. These (for some strange reason) fall into the category of unrestricted, so all you need is your PAL. Way more fun and way less work than a handgun.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Mossberg-T-trade-Tactical-Semiautomatic-Rimfire-Rifles/1367701.uts

Ok. So ill start with the PAL and then go from there ?
Ill keep in touch with you guyz for sure ...
Thank you

Ok. So ill start with the PAL and then go from there ?
Ill keep in touch with you guyz for sure ...
Thank you

If you're going through the hassle of the licensing process, it's not a HUGE difference between the 2. I'd go with restricted and then you can choose what you wish to own. I like my long guns better and you can find some non-restricteds that are a REAL blast to shoot, but my go-to sporting gun is a restricted long gun.

If you're going through the hassle of the licensing process, it's not a HUGE difference between the 2. I'd go with restricted and then you can choose what you wish to own. I like my long guns better and you can find some non-restricteds that are a REAL blast to shoot, but my go-to sporting gun is a restricted long gun.

I thought there were a lot of requirements beyond the licensing ( like gun club membership). Is that not true?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I thought there were a lot of requirements beyond the licensing ( like gun club membership). Is that not true?

You don't need to be a club member to get RPAL. You can say you intend to join this or that club to do this or that sport (or just handgun plinking). I had my rPAL for over a year before joining a club. You can't even join my main club without having rPAL (involves a war on long guns waged by some of our BoD members - then they found out that lots of us like to shoot AR's - SUCKAAAAZ :D)

I went there today with a friend, what a blast!! Literally & figuratively. The rifle range is outdoors & I really like the layout of the range. I shot some really big guns today. Desert Eagle &. 50 cal bmg. That bmg was a monster! Had the air knock out of me. It was almost $15 per round

hold on...were you the little asian dude in the versace shades?

hold on...were you the little asian dude in the versace shades?

Being the person who pulled you out of a swamp, I'd assume you know what I look like

Being the person who pulled you out of a swamp, I'd assume you know what I look like

What happens in the swamp, stays in the swamp.. Don't worry boys, we won't judge :cool:

So which one are you?

26351.jpg

Depends...you're technically not required to be a member of a gun club but invariably the reason given for acquiring a restricted firearm is for target shooting. If the CFO were to ever believe the reason for acquiring the firearm is not being pursued, a registration certificate can be revoked. Practically, this never happens. The CFO would know if you were target shooting since restricted firearms require an additional permit for transport. That permit is obtained by joining a gun club (they apply on your behalf)

The other requirements for restricted firearms are around storage, but nothing too intense there.

EDIT: self-defense is not a valid reason for acquiring a handgun in Ontario and the CFO will not issue a registration certificate (ie, the transfer won't be approved) on that basis.

Last edited:

There are a lot of non-restricted semi-auto's, including a ton of 22s. Semi automatics are not automatically restricted though some semi-autos are named (by law) to be restricted.

As long as the barrel is over 18.5", the gun is usually good to go. All modern day handguns are either restricted or prohibited

There are a lot of non-restricted semi-auto's, including a ton of 22s. Semi automatics are not automatically restricted though some semi-autos are named (by law) to be restricted.

As long as the barrel is over 18.5", the gun is usually good to go. All modern day handguns are either restricted or prohibited

On rimfire rifles there's an overall length requirement, which allows barrels much shorter than 18.5" on rifles that are STILL non-restricted.

On rimfire rifles there's an overall length requirement, which allows barrels much shorter than 18.5" on rifles that are STILL non-restricted.

yes...I always forget that part. Center-fire is where the 18.5" matters.

yes...I always forget that part. Center-fire is where the 18.5" matters.

Correct.. Just one addition.. On shotguns and possibly manual action rifles (not sure about the 2nd one since I'd prefer a longer barrel anyway) there's also just an overall length requirement.. That's why you can put a pretty short barrel on a shotgun, for example. This is one of many spots where the laws get stupid..

Let's say you got a shotgun with a 24" barrel..
-You can legally replace it with a factory 12" barrel as long as the overall length stays within legal limits
-You CANNOT legally cut the 24" barrel down to 12"

All irrelevant to me as the ideal length range for my sporting use is between 20 and 28", but some guys would like to have a shorter bush gun for bear defense.

Back
Top Bottom