Dodge Grand Caravan | Page 6 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Dodge Grand Caravan

So what's the fuel efficiency on these 3 row SUVs? Can any even touch 9 on highway?
The wife is not the easiest on fuel and refuses to track mileage but she's probably averaging ~12 L/100. I don't think I have ever had it less than 10 on the dash guess o meter. Maybe low 10s driving carefully on 80 km/h roads. It has the 3.3 though, it is possible that the 2.x turbo vehicles do better if you stay out of the boost. I havent seen a 2.x that can tow though.

So what's the fuel efficiency on these 3 row SUVs? Can any even touch 9 on highway?
I doubt it, some claim close but real world is unlikely. Some however do have hybrid models, and fare better. I like the touareg diesel but it's only 5 seats and used appears to be a gamble for reliability.
The ford flex gets top marks for room, has awd and the twin turbo v6 is fun. I liked the test drive, has everything I want but it's a ford.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

Wife is averaging around 13-14/100 in the city with the odyssey.
I have gotten it down to 7 on the highway.

Wife is averaging around 13-14/100 in the city with the odyssey.
I have gotten it down to 7 on the highway.
Fuel mileage has never been a gripe for me with my odyssey, even with the older 3.5l without variable cylinder management. They are great on fuel for the size of vehicle.
Coworker has a 2017 grand caravan, new in june 2018. Has only 24000km. I drove it the other day for maybe 60km, it rattles, squeaks and is generally very noisy. No idea if this is normal, but my 07 odyssey is quieter and smoother still even with worn out suspension all around.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

The ford flex gets top marks for room, has awd and the twin turbo v6 is fun. I liked the test drive, has everything I want but it's a ford.

better jump on it soon, Ford Oakville just announced they are dropping the axe on this model and the Lincoln variant.

as for the 9 fuel range, hybrid suv is your best choice, The Acura and Lexus 3 row SUVs come both get around 8.7L per 100km along with a performace boost. Not too shabby.

Last edited:
We are under 30 ...

My gf and I went through this debate back in 2017-2018 :|

The Caravan depreciate a ton and they start to squeak rattle and whatnot really quickly so buy a used one and drive it into the ground. She didn't like driving it or the interior of the vehicle. I said towing, future kids, moving etc will destroy the interior of the car anyway but she did not want it.

I told her to go drive a new Honda Odyssey but again she didn't like the minivan stereotype and how it drove. The CRV was out because the 1.5T is a nightmare.

I tried to convince her to get a American SUV or CUV (Yukon, Flex, Tahoe) etc. Let her test drive a SUV and we both said NOPE. They were just too big of a transition from her small car and she didn't like the Flex (too minivan like :( but this was my top pick).

For fun I brought up a Ford Transit van but she wasn't interested.

Eventually compromised on a Japanese CUV (Mazda)

In 2019, my top pick would be a rav4 hybrid if I needed a vehicle asap. Otherwise, wait and see if the 4runner gets a hybrid trim

Short form: Very hard to get young people interested in a minivan or sedan now days but they absolutely adore CUVs (AWD AWD AWD AWD)

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone hear of North Toronto Auction?

Also, if carfax reports an accident on the "right side" is there a way to get more details?

I told her to go drive a new Honda Odyssey but again she didn't like the minivan stereotype and how it drove. The CRV was out because the 1.5T is a nightmare.

Curious on 2 things, why steer her toward the Odyssey, when you can basically get the Pilot which is basically an Odyssey with 4 SUV doors and all wheel drive.

and what nightmares have you heard with the 1.5T?

Curious on 2 things, why steer her toward the Odyssey, when you can basically get the Pilot which is basically an Odyssey with 4 SUV doors and all wheel drive.

and what nightmares have you heard with the 1.5T?
In my experience (which is admittedly not current generation) the Pilot was way way smaller than the odyssey inside (and much more money). I find the outside of the current pilot pretty damned ugly. It used to be quite popular but I see very few new ones. I don't know why people are looking elsewhere.

what nightmares have you heard with the 1.5T?

Honda has major issues with their turbo motors, search up Honda Oil Dilution issue.

I didn't like the look of the Honda Pilot, less versatile than the minivan and to get stuff I wanted we had to upgrade to a EX?? At that point I could finance a Acura for a couple hundreds more per month with way more luxury.

What ultimately steered me to the CX5 was the price, the semi-luxury feel and driving experience. I was able to negotiate a dealership financed deal for a mid-level trim 2.5L (no turbo) + AWD + convenience package (sunroof, rear USB ports, rear ventilation etc) for ~$37k OTR (MSRP was ~$40k+). My biggest gripe is the CX5 can't tow much but happy girlfriend happy life :). Plus I have more leeway for my next vehicle :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing beats the convenience of sliding doors, especially in tight parking spots. Good luck putting your kid into the car seat when they perform the pretzel manoeuvre and you have to battle to keep the door open with your butt. I used to hate minivans because of the stereotype. Now I am embrancing them, and a minivan-guy forever.

Honda has major issues with their turbo motors, search up Honda Oil Dilution issue.
Owned 3 Honda vehicles with the 1.5T, probably put a total of 75K km on them. Not a single issue.
IIRC the issue only effected vehicles driven in the winter and only when driven regularly over short distances.

I like our van so much I’m actually considering a Mazda5 as my commuter and a weekend toy in addition to it.
Sliding doors, fun driving, and space galore if you don’t need the third row.

Back
Top Bottom