Dodge Grand Caravan | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Dodge Grand Caravan

I've looked into doing both myself and for $825 I'd let the dealer do it. I've got better things to do with my days lol.
Thanks for the extra input guys, much appreciated. Guess I'll have to go shopping and test drive a few this week.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

I'm looking to spend 10-12000. For that I'm looking at 07 and 08 honda odyssey or 10-13 caravan. Most of the Hondas are right around the timing belt change mileage, not sure if I want to get into that right away. Also don't like the manual valve checks/adjustments. Have either ever come up for you @fastar1?

A good many Honda, Toyota, and Mitsubishi engines use fixed shims in the valvetrain and NEVER have valve clearance adjustments done or even checked!

There's a certain range of model years of Honda automatic transmissions that were failure-prone when attached to V6 engines. I'm not sure when (or if) they fixed this, because obviously, according to the manufacturer, there was never a problem to begin with.

The Chrysler 41TE 4 speed automatics were fragile. The 62TE 6 speed is a lot better and had some internal upgrades around 2012 to fix early issues. http://www.allpar.com/mopar/transmissions/62TE.html All of these transmissions MUST use Mopar ATF+4 fluid and nothing else; I'm sure a lot of reported problems are because of the wrong fluid being used. This transmission is "lifetime fill" - as are most of them nowadays. I say baloney, and plan to have the fluid changed in mine every 60,000 km.

Allpar is a great resource for all things Chrysler related.

A good many Honda, Toyota, and Mitsubishi engines use fixed shims in the valvetrain and NEVER have valve clearance adjustments done or even checked!

There's a certain range of model years of Honda automatic transmissions that were failure-prone when attached to V6 engines. I'm not sure when (or if) they fixed this, because obviously, according to the manufacturer, there was never a problem to begin with.

The Chrysler 41TE 4 speed automatics were fragile. The 62TE 6 speed is a lot better and had some internal upgrades around 2012 to fix early issues. http://www.allpar.com/mopar/transmissions/62TE.html All of these transmissions MUST use Mopar ATF+4 fluid and nothing else; I'm sure a lot of reported problems are because of the wrong fluid being used. This transmission is "lifetime fill" - as are most of them nowadays. I say baloney, and plan to have the fluid changed in mine every 60,000 km.

Allpar is a great resource for all things Chrysler related.

IIRC There was a class action lawsuit over the Honda transmission a few years back.

The best way for a manufacturer to deal with those situations is to settle with the leaders of the protest / action. Then the sheep drift away. Part of the deal is non disclosure so facts are hard to prove.

Last edited:
Some info here: http://www.odysseytransmission.com/

The major problem was with my generation of transmission (99-04) which had insufficient cooling to the 2nd gear. It would overheat and slip over time, most affected vehicles were driven in warm climates and frequent stop-and-go traffic. When I had to have my tranny rebuilt after my brain fart, I dunno if they used new bands or clutches by default or tossed back some of the stuff that was already there, but no out of the ordinary wear was found.

Odyssey is the only one that will fit my three boys in the middle row. All over 6' and size 14 feet.

Alternator went on my Volvo Saturday morning. Dropped the car at work and took our 2014 Caravan courtesy shuttle to get around for the remainder of the weekend; it's been a while since I've watched a fuel gauge drop with such pace.

True enough. I've had 3 different vehicles cover the same distance. All took half a tank. Problem was the tanks are different sizes. Compact car tank was 55L, mid sized was 60L and the minivan was a 90L tank.

Bit the bullet today and picked up an 07 odyssey ex with 200k on it today. Very clean no rust, timing belt, water pump and tensioner all done at London Honda in Nov 2015 at 187k. $6500 cash out the door cert/etested.
I'm happy with it now, I'll see what happens in the near future.
54b321b2678989cedab1c8a5e99fddb5.jpg

201c6d029f7f148ac6518e956270d8cf.jpg

@Iceman looks good and imho the price is right. By my reasoning stated earlier, anything over 3 years now, with no major repairs, and you come out ahead. Just for $#!+$ & giggles keep track for me.

Sent from my custom Purple Joe Bass mobile on Tapatalk

Alternator went on my Volvo Saturday morning. Dropped the car at work and took our 2014 Caravan courtesy shuttle to get around for the remainder of the weekend; it's been a while since I've watched a fuel gauge drop with such pace.

My ProMaster (company van *cough* track bike hauler) does OK on fuel for what it is. 11-ish L/100 km with mostly highway and secondary roads and longer trips. With a really long run, like a Deals Gap return trip, 10 L/100 km is possible. I'm happy with that. City driving ... not so good. (Pentastar / 62TE)

Have not ever considering getting a van...swore upside down that I'll never go that route. However a few friends have them, and I can definitely see the appeal of one (besides fuel). Also this thread has been a good resource as well....a van may be in my future soon enough :(

Just wish there were more wagons available as those I love. Hate wife's Elantra Touring but dammit everything fits!

Last edited:
Have not ever considering getting a van...swore upside down that I'll never go that route. However a few friends have them, and I can definitely see the appeal of one (besides fuel). Also this thread has been a good resource as well....a van may be in my future soon enough :(

Just wish there were more wagons available as those I love. Hate wife's Elantra Touring but dammit everything fits!

Subaru Imprezza WRX (Sti) wagon...oh yeah.

@ Iceman

I suggest you get that thing rust proofed.
At the least Krown type stuff and pay them a few more bucks to give it the extra treatment.
Engine may be good but the body falls apart.

VW golf ALL WD wagon was just 'reintroduced' . Your not getting a bike inside but it looks like nice interior volume and capability for 26k starting price.

My ProMaster (company van *cough* track bike hauler) does OK on fuel for what it is. 11-ish L/100 km with mostly highway and secondary roads and longer trips. With a really long run, like a Deals Gap return trip, 10 L/100 km is possible. I'm happy with that. City driving ... not so good. (Pentastar / 62TE)

Same combo in ours. I did just ran across town a few times to be fair.

Bit the bullet today and picked up an 07 odyssey ex with 200k on it today. Very clean no rust, timing belt, water pump and tensioner all done at London Honda in Nov 2015 at 187k. $6500 cash out the door cert/etested.
I'm happy with it now, I'll see what happens in the near future.
54b321b2678989cedab1c8a5e99fddb5.jpg

201c6d029f7f148ac6518e956270d8cf.jpg

Oooo sexy van, sounds like a good deal too.

Welcome to the dark side, where we all take pleasure in stuffing our face with drive through food while yelling at the kids and running over motorcyclists! We'll send you your Minivan Mothafokka club patch within the week.

Last edited:
@fastar1 where's my patch?!?! Lolz
@mimico_ploak fack the haters, when it's -20 outside and you need to change a diaper walk between the seats, lay them on the floor in the back and stay warm.
Also, Costco runs are a piece of cake!

Sent from my custom Purple Joe Bass mobile on Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom