Dear potheads, Merry Christmas! | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Dear potheads, Merry Christmas!

Selling pot through LCBO is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. The problem of selling a stigmatized product in a public place via a crown corporation would be real and people would be up in arms about it, but that would be peanuts compared to the fact that it'd be competing with an already established supply chain. One that already does not give a **** about whether or not it's legal is not going to sweat the fact that the LCBO may be the only government authorized vendor, and there are going to be customers that would rather buy it from anywhere but the LCBO.

If it doesn't eliminate the existing supply chain (or at least make it unattractive for them to do business) then it does nothing to eliminate all the criminal activity that goes along with distributing illegal material... so then what's the point

Selling pot through LCBO is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. The problem of selling a stigmatized product in a public place via a crown corporation would be real and people would be up in arms about it, but that would be peanuts compared to the fact that it'd be competing with an already established supply chain. One that already does not give a **** about whether or not it's legal is not going to sweat the fact that the LCBO may be the only government authorized vendor, and there are going to be customers that would rather buy it from anywhere but the LCBO.

If it doesn't eliminate the existing supply chain (or at least make it unattractive for them to do business) then it does nothing to eliminate all the criminal activity that goes along with distributing illegal material... so then what's the point

You make some good points. However, is alcohol not a stigmatized product? You have to know that in this country, and in this province, that the government always gets their take.

You make some good points. However, is alcohol not a stigmatized product?

Correct. Prohibition in Canada lasted from WWI through to the 1920s.

Pot only has a stigma attached to it because of current legislation. Legalization will eventually change the attitudes about it. There's no such stigmatization about marijuana in Northern Europe.

Prohibition wasn't introduced due to a stigma , it was a temporary wartime measure introduced in 1918, and the war ended about 6 months after the introduction. 5 years of war and somebody finally figured out the allied countries needed grain more than booze. The Temperance Leagues lobbied very hard to keep it in place till everybody figured out the farms had been rebuilt and it was time to get back to drinking.

LCBO as a distributor will have an impact on illegal trade. People that enjoy a glass of wine will not boycott LCBO as a weed vendor anymore than the vegetarians wont go to Lowblaws because they have a meat dept. They will just ignore that dept.

I would think LOTS of adult smokers will just buy legitimate dope, the same as you can source lots of bootlegged booze if you wish, or just not bother. Most of my smoker friends know a guy, that knows a guy for supply. Is it tied to organized crime and hookers? maybe.

The best part would be consistent supply of a known product, not some of the skechy weed that makes it to market. Maybe safer.

people would be up in arms about it

Some people will get up in arms about anything. Case in point, all the people who are certain that the fact beer (gasp!) is now available in grocery stores starting today is going to bring armageddon upon us.

th_onoes.gif

It's only stigmatized because of a generation of unfounded reefer madness fear spreading. Again, I'm not a user, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that it's all been overblown and your average pothead just wants to flop on the couch and eat cheesies after smoking. When compared to alcohol and the not unusual angry drunks that result, I'll take pot anydays. As evidenced by the smell rolling through our backyard on any given night in the summer months we have plenty of smokers in our neighborhood, and you know what? Our street is nice and quiet without any drama.

So if a handful of misinformed and "the government told me it was bad, therefore it must be" (It wasn't long ago ol Harper was still running his ridiculous reefer-madness fear tactic commercials, lets all remember), well, too bloody bad - get informed and change your views to fit reality. Half these people who would rally against pot in the LCBO's are probably going to go home and get blitzed on the booze they're buying. Double standard much?

Some people will get up in arms about anything. Case in point, all the people who are certain that the fact beer (gasp!) is now available in grocery stores starting today is going to bring armageddon upon us.

Well I am up in arms about it cause its a ****ing stupid set of laws that does not do far enough to break the Monopoly the beer store has! Also children may see it and instantly become alcoholic thugs!

decrim is a half assed solution to the problem, and they are already introducing a "ticketing" system for smokers. decrim also wont allow us to legally sell and tax it.

If we are going to accept it, lets legalize it and tax it. A portion of revenues goes back into the health system and general public awareness to help expedite the public "attitudes" about it, and the rest up for grabs.

....until another backwards reefer-madness idiot like Harper was gets back into power years down the road and wants to put all the stupid laws back into place.

decrim is a half assed solution to the problem, and they are already introducing a "ticketing" system for smokers. decrim also wont allow us to legally sell and tax it.

If we are going to accept it, lets legalize it and tax it. A portion of revenues goes back into the health system and general public awareness to help expedite the public "attitudes" about it, and the rest up for grabs.
I'll never understand those who want it decriminalized.... I guess they don't care that they're feeding the black market...

I also guess they don't care that their drug dealer won't ID their kids in the future.

I hope they treat it like beer and allow home brew. Grow under a certain amount for home use. Of course the government would want their cut but they do allow home brew of beer and wine.

Driving tired is more dangerous than driving drunk and/or high - when are we gonna find a way to get tired drivers off the road?

That being said, I don't think this WCBO is a good idea - I think it makes for easier access of marymary to minors.

Every time my wife and I talk about kids, I shudder at the thought of my teenager smoking weed - its a hallucinogenic substance that affects brain development! I think the same is true with alcohol, but weed is worse because it doesn't just attack brain cell growth; it affects how you think and the fakking toker kids just don't get it. If you haven't learned to master your thoughts while sober, you have no business messing with your thoughts for entertainment/relaxation by smoking teh bomb.

just my 0.02

Every time my wife and I talk about kids, I shudder at the thought of my teenager smoking weed - its a hallucinogenic substance that affects brain development! I think the same is true with alcohol, but weed is worse because it doesn't just attack brain cell growth; it affects how you think and the fakking toker kids just don't get it. If you haven't learned to master your thoughts while sober, you have no business messing with your thoughts for entertainment/relaxation by smoking teh bomb.

just my 0.02

....not sure if serious.....

Most of the scientific literature would disagree with you. And it would be hard to argue for legal alcohol over marijuana based on harm from usage.

You would be surprised at how many engineers, scientists and other STEM/"learned people" I've met when doing a science degree, and an engineering degree. Most of whom started smoking in their teens and are daily smokers now.

Driving tired is more dangerous than driving drunk and/or high - when are we gonna find a way to get tired drivers off the road?

That being said, I don't think this WCBO is a good idea - I think it makes for easier access of marymary to minors.

just my 0.02

...or watched the Harper government "marijuana is evil" commercials too many times and actually believed all the BS they presented.

Most of the scientific literature would disagree with you. And it would be hard to argue for legal alcohol over marijuana based on harm from usage.

You would be surprised at how many engineers, scientists and other STEM/"learned people" I've met when doing a science degree, and an engineering degree. Most of whom started smoking in their teens and are daily smokers now.

Dead serious. I watched a documentary on the effects of marijuana on developing brains (minors), and it basically reinforces the ideology that cannabis affects different people differently (which we all know) and that those with predisposed negative reactions to cannabis can affect their thought processes permanently if they do so while in their youth; they are genetically more susceptible to developing various types of psychosis (paranoia, schizophrenia, etc...).

I can't find the name of the doc (it might even be on Netflix, I know credible source, right LOL), but it basically echoes this study:
http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/...or-later-schizophrenia-psychosis-201103071676

Basically, cannabis affects our brains based on two distinct genes, A and B. People with AA genes will feel total relaxation and will likely enjoy it more than alcohol, while those with BB genes will feel excessively paranoid and/or have a negative reaction to it. Those with AB genes can go either way, or experience both sensations, but are less likely to be harmed by it. The effects are multiplied when the brain is expose to cannibis while its groth rate is high (ie. minors). Paulo, your professional pot-people probably all had AA or AB genes and (understandably) haven't been affected poorly by it.

I'll be the first one to smoke with my kid when s/he turns 25, but I'd really like to prevent them from regularly smoking as minors.

edit: oh snap, i meant to write above that the WCBO is a bad idea...

Last edited:
You make some good points. However, is alcohol not a stigmatized product? You have to know that in this country, and in this province, that the government always gets their take.

If they want to tax it, I would be fine with that as long as it stayed reasonable (maybe with rebates for people who deal with chronic pain/inflammation or whatever is medically appropriate). I have a strong dislike for the idea of the province commercially monopolizing it

I want to say, you could roughly model the public distribution system on how tobacco currently works... except I don't like that comparison as otherwise the treatment of tobacco in this province is insane. That's a whole other argument that shouldn't start in this thread and I'm mildly sorry if people start it anyway

Dead serious. I watched a documentary on the effects of marijuana on developing brains (minors), and it basically reinforces the ideology that cannabis affects different people differently (which we all know) and that those with predisposed negative reactions to cannabis can affect their thought processes permanently if they do so while in their youth; they are genetically more susceptible to developing various types of psychosis (paranoia, schizophrenia, etc...).

+1

Your personal experience with pot will inform how you feel about this subject. Probably will take Herculean effort to put oneself in others shoes. Some kids for sure should not touch the stuff while it probably isn't a good idea for any develobrainping. Having said that I like surrounding myself with adult stoners. I can't keep up with regular folk.

....until another backwards reefer-madness idiot like Harper was gets back into power years down the road and wants to put all the stupid laws back into place.

IMHO harpo's anti pot agenda was mostly pandering to what he perceived to be the values of his core supporters.
It would be a brave and foolish politician to outlaw the revenue stream that legal cannabis will be bringing in with its accompanying "sin" tax.

Smoking weed and driving is no where near as bad as drinking and driving. Not even close.

I agree with this statement to an extent because the amounts consumed for pot can vary as well as its effects. Which then would bring up the argument, "How impaired is too impaired?". A pint of beer does not equal a 1g joint or any other way of consumption listed below and the type of impairment is different.

Personally, I wouldn't even think of getting in the driver seat after having a few pints of beer as I know it affects my judgement and focus on the road, same for recently consuming pot of any amount.

Ways of consumption:
Did you take a huge rip from a bong?
Did you smoke a joint?
Did you vape bud?
Did you smoke/vape extracts?
Did you have edibles?

All those can affect your state of mind in many different ways, and different time frames.

It would also come down to how the individual handles pot.

For some, vaping 0.5g of pot is enough to knock someone out, while 1g is just enough for pain relief and able to do day-to-day routines.

The first time I decided to eat 3/4 of a brownie in BC, it was a whole other experience and I was couch-locked hard in my hotel room (sitting on the couch) and was talking to myself to try and move my limbs after about 2 hours of consumption. I can't even imagine how someone would drive under those conditions.

On the day before, walking in to the dispensary, I had a couple puffs from a vape pen full of wax. That was more of an uplifting experience and I felt more in control of myself (taking public transit and exploring the place) but still would not trust myself in a motor vehicle.

Regardless of how you consume cannabis, you will notice a bit of a delay from time to time. Knowing that 2 seconds can be the difference between avoiding a collision and not, I'd rather not take my chances.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom