Bridgestone batt lax , is it me or the tire ? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bridgestone batt lax , is it me or the tire ?

Lower pressure, quit using the rear brake. I recommend Metzler M5's. Great tire. Everyone has their opinions on what rubber to use.
I agree. The metzler m5 is the best street tire I have ever used. Lots of kms warm quickly great in the dry and about the best there is in the wet. 32front 34rear or 36 with a passenger. And they are good enough for your first track day. My 2 cents.

And thanks for the no rear brake tip, its still the motocross rider in me. I have a feeling when i jump on the dirtbike im gonna use the front brake lol
Front brake on a dirtbike = trouble lol

Fixed that lol

How the heck do you stop then? Or do you just leave it in 1st gear?

Dunlop has always used artificial fibers, I dont know why. They had used Aramid in the Qualifiers before. I don't enjoy this as the carcass flexes in the corners. Steel offers me better road feel & more confidence around corners. There is more feedback

Just my humble opinion

Sent from my tablet using my paws

This makes no sense...

Dunlops always seem to be stiffer than Metzeler/Pirelli, which is OK if you like that sort of thing. Q3's let you feel every bit of the road, even at 32 psi. Feels like if I ride over a dime I can tell if it's heads or tails. The Metzeler M5 glides over and you don't even notice it at the same tire pressure. Both work really well but feel completely different.

Back to the OP - it's not about the tires, it's about your technique and/or skill. If the pressures are correct, those tires are just fine. Too much back brake or poor rev matching on downshift will make the rear slide even in warm weather. This is a good time of the year to practice being smooth on the throttle and the brakes.

Last edited:
I am not a fan of any of the bridgestone street tires. Had several different sets of them, wan't my thing. However, as scuba steve said, the street tires of today are quite good. The debate of which tire to use will rage on until the end of time. Let's take this in a different direction. Since you are new to sport bikes (we were all there one day), strongly consider looking into a performance riding school. In our area, either FAST (http://www.fastridingschool.com/index3.html) or racer5 (http://www.racer5.ca) school. Both are excellent. Even if you never ride a track day in your life, you will learn vital skills of how to control a sport bike. i.e. focusing on the front brake, how much pressure you can apply, how far can you lean the bike, what to do if it starts to slide, etc. IMO, this is a far better investment that tires, accessories, or any other bike purchase you can make.

This makes no sense...
Just let it go, this is like an L&L conversation, just nod and go get a coffee and prepare for a long night of listening to ********.

Same here, had bt 016 brand new and noticed they have nice grip in the early spring, but during summer temp. they were all over the road, even lowsided.

It's YOU. I use those tires for my daughters bike (The bike I take to the track) they do really great! You need to 1. make sure the tires are warmed up, 2. quit stomping on the brakes or being ham fisted on the throttle.

I agree. The metzler m5 is the best street tire I have ever used. Lots of kms warm quickly great in the dry and about the best there is in the wet. 32front 34rear or 36 with a passenger. And they are good enough for your first track day. My 2 cents.
I've tried Metzlers, great tire. Too expensive for my taste. They're owned by Pirelli now
Same here, had bt 016 brand new and noticed they have nice grip in the early spring, but during summer temp. they were all over the road, even lowsided.
Agreed!
****** when cold & ****** when hot. They feel greasy when hot in summer

The Bridgestone BAs were my least favorite street tire. I agree with everyone else on technique but I've also got tons of experience under my belt, I never liked those either.

Tire threads...so much fun. :p

The bottom line is some tires work better for some riders on some bikes under certain conditions/roads for any number of reasons than others. A glowing endorsement from either a world class racer or weekend outlaw cruiser are equally unreliable in terms of picking the right tire for you.

I am currently riding on a brand of tire I swore off years ago, and find this particular tire from that brand to be the best I've had on the bike they're on. Lesson: keep an open mind.

I find certain brands typically "feel" a certain way on any bike I ride, and in my case, Bridgestones always feel like they are gliding, not gripping, and don't inspire confidence, whereas Dunlops always give me a strong grippy feeling. But I have good expereinces with Avon, and Metzler, and Michelin as well, depending on the tire model, and bike...so many variables. Lesson: experience will inform you better than other riders.

One needs to try several brands and profiles and pressures etc over the years/miles or ownership, which isn't hard to do considering a set usually lasts a season.

So yes, it's both, you and the tires re rear wheel sliding/locking-up under braking. Try some different settings, *including suspension settings*, maybe you're too "soft" in front, maybe too little rebound/too much pre-load in rear, etc. and if not happy, try something else next time.

And for heaven's sake, DO NOT stop using your rear brake. Learn how and when to "modulate" it.

This is my expert opinion. :p

Last edited:
We ran the Bridgestone Bt16's at 'bogie a few years back .. and hauled *** with them too.

Those tires were kick ***.

This makes so much sense now.....lol sorry. Couldn't resist! Just my preference - I didn't like em on the street bike.

There are so many differnt models of Battlax......some are even bias ply.
Lets compare apples and apples folks.

I use the sport touring Battlax 023, and it rocks. The stickiest dry tire in the segment- I bet I could do trackdays on them. Not the very best in the rain, but still damn good. At street paces, I see no point in buying hypersport tires unless you like buying new ones every 4000 kms.

There are so many differnt models of Battlax......some are even bias ply.
Lets compare apples and apples folks.

I use the sport touring Battlax 023, and it rocks. The stickiest dry tire in the segment- I bet I could do trackdays on them. Not the very best in the rain, but still damn good. At street paces, I see no point in buying hypersport tires unless you like buying new ones every 4000 kms.
+1 lately I just buy whatever is at the best price. I don't think I even know what i have on my street bike right now and I just bought the set Dricked took off his new zx10 which are brand new for 100 bucks and I don't even know what they are.

"The stock BT016s are very slippery when cold."

OEM tires are usually not the same as the aftermarket tire of the identical model. The OM BT-016's on my 2012 GSXR
750 were total garbage but have good rep when bought aftermarket.

PS My bike has a back brake??

Carbon Fiber reinforced sidewalls??
No thanks, I'll take steel any day

LOL .... that's truly hilarious ... So you know better than Dunlop R&D spending millions on a new technology???

I have had Q3 for a month now and must say they feel really good. Considering how miserable the weather was, I was surprised that the they actually warmed up even a little on a silly 20min commute .... So far so good.

Thanks for the explanation.

The problem is that he didn't explain anything at all. He just threw a one-liner in his post and planted probably a doubter's seed in your head.

Just enjoy your Q3's .... set the cold pressure for street at 32/34 and you will be good.

Back
Top Bottom