Benching ZX10R, buying KLX300 for a year's use. | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Benching ZX10R, buying KLX300 for a year's use.

KTM 500 EXC-F looks appealing. Wondering about the seat?
What about a dr650?

Stone age reliable.

Highway capable.

Eats up gravel roads.

Decent on atv double track.

It'll get left for dead by lighter bikes in single track (its 360lbs), but it'll do it.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
0a8d66640e1b06fc0f18ea0801909149.jpg

Last edited:
What about a dr650?

Stone age reliable.

Highway capable.

Eats up gravel roads.

Decent on atv double track.

It'll get left for dead by lighter bikes in single track (its 360lbs), but it'll do it.

0a8d66640e1b06fc0f18ea0801909149.jpg
I have a DR 750, never ridden a DR650 but I assume its similar for comfort. I’ve did back to back 900km days running half at 130 highway half on dirt highways and logging roads. Not as comfortable as a Vstrom, but not horrible.

I have a DR 750, never ridden a DR650 but I assume its similar for comfort. I’ve did back to back 900km days running half at 130 highway half on dirt highways and logging roads. Not as comfortable as a Vstrom, but not horrible.
Think of it as a less "piggy" klr.

Equally old tech, but slightly more dirt oriented.

Air cooled.

Better on the highway than my wr250r, but likely worse than your DR-Big.

Air cooled.

The 650's can be fun and are versatile, but the OP would probably be best off with a DRZ400. It's a reasonable compromise between the 250's and 650 thumpers.

It's strictly old-tech like the 650's, but it's capable off road, will maintain highway speeds, literally tons of aftermarket stuff available, cheap to maintain, reliable as dirt, cheaper than dirt, and old-school fun to ride.

The 650's can be fun and are versatile, but the OP would probably be best off with a DRZ400. It's a reasonable compromise between the 250's and 650 thumpers.

It's strictly old-tech like the 650's, but it's capable off road, will maintain highway speeds, literally tons of aftermarket stuff available, cheap to maintain, reliable as dirt, cheaper than dirt, and old-school fun to ride.
The DRZ400 is great off highway, a bit challenged on highway. It’s out of passing power at 80kmh, and with 225lbs of rider and gear, semis will be passing you at uphill passing lanes.

Looking for other motorcycle experience.
ZX10R needs expensive maintenance next year. Looking to offset the cost and try something new. Light Off road\ road use sounds appealing since I've always done the SS thing.
With the delayed 10R maint. and insurance savings may go along way to acquire another bike in the garage.
Question is, can a 300cc bike survive my annual Sudbury trip (maybe 400k)?

What exactly is the maintenance you're delaying, and how much is it? I can't imagine any maintenance being more expensive than the cost of another 250-300 cc bike and insurance, not even a complete rebuild on my SXV motor.

Air cooled.

Being air/oil cooled it's lighter and simpler than a KLR but doesn't have the same following. Why? As a Suzi it should be very reliable but still no where near the following that the killer has.

DR wet weight -366lbs
Klr650 wet weight- 416lbs

Klr's brakes are a suggestion.

Klr may be a better do it all streetbike, but far worse offroad.

Most guys aren't trail riding a bush pig.

Being air/oil cooled it's lighter and simpler than a KLR but doesn't have the same following. Why? As a Suzi it should be very reliable but still no where near the following that the killer has.
I’d say the KLR stepped ahead of Honda and Suzuki’s 650 thumpers in 87.

KLR dominated the segment they jumped the shark in 2004 when the Vstrom hit the market.

DR wet weight -366lbs
Klr650 wet weight- 416lbs

Klr's brakes are a suggestion.

Klr may be a better do it all streetbike, but far worse offroad.

Most guys aren't trail riding a bush pig.

The DR isn’t a trail bike, it’s setup for rough roads, it’s strengths are simplicity, low weight, and ability to run all day with 100lbs of gear on tough dirt roads at 100kmh.

I’d say the KLR stepped ahead of Honda and Suzuki’s 650 thumpers in 87.
Any thoughts as to why? Lighter and simpler why didn't the DR land on top?

The DR isn’t a trail bike, it’s setup for rough roads, it’s strengths are simplicity, low weight, and ability to run all day with 100lbs of gear on tough dirt roads at 100kmh.
I'd agree with that.

I'd categorize it like this:

A ktm 350 exc-f would be 90/10 offroad biased.

My wr250r is 80/20, toward offroad.

Drz400s may be 75/25 towards offroad.

Dr650 might be a true 50/50 bike.

The klr would be 70/30 on road to offroad.

V-strom would be 80/20 road biased.

Marketing?

Got to say, the 80's klr was alot more simple, lighter, and raw than its newer variants. They got porky.

Marketing?

Got to say, the 80's klr was alot more simple, lighter, and raw than its newer variants. They got porky.

Gen1s ROCK.

In the late 80s, Suzuki had 2 bikes that slayed KLRs. DR 800 and the LC TSR200, neither were released in the USA, both outperformed and outsold KLRs in the rest of the world, including the 2 years they were sold in Canada.

Don’t know why Suzuki USA decided DR650 only.

I'd agree with that.

I'd categorize it like this:

A ktm 350 exc-f would be 90/10 offroad biased.

My wr250r is 80/20, toward offroad.

Drz400s may be 75/25 towards offroad.

Dr650 might be a true 50/50 bike.

The klr would be 70/30 on road to offroad.

V-strom would be 80/20 road biased.

The OP said, "Light Off road\ road use sounds appealing" and that he wanted to take his annual 400km trip to Sudbury.

Using your list as a reasonable guide and assuming light off-road means 2 track forest trails or ATV trails I'd take either of the DR's or an XR650L. Especially if the OP is looking for an introduction to off-road riding.

If he wants to ride something like the Pickaxe loop from the ride the highlands website then the KLR is perfect.

The OP said, "Light Off road\ road use sounds appealing" and that he wanted to take his annual 400km trip to Sudbury.

Using your list as a reasonable guide and assuming light off-road means 2 track forest trails or ATV trails I'd take either of the DR's or an XR650L. Especially if the OP is looking for an introduction to off-road riding.

If he wants to ride something like the Pickaxe loop from the ride the highlands website then the KLR is perfect.
My partner and I had a blast doing the Pickaxe loop on our GROM's.

What exactly is the maintenance you're delaying, and how much is it? I can't imagine any maintenance being more expensive than the cost of another 250-300 cc bike and insurance, not even a complete rebuild on my SXV motor.
valve clearance inspection \adjustment. Chain and sprockets, fork oil, coolant and break fluid change, air filter, break pads and tires. pads.
It's now the value of a klx but it goes a long way.
I'm now leaning towards an atv.

valve clearance inspection \adjustment. Chain and sprockets, fork oil, coolant and break fluid change, air filter, break pads and tires. pads.
It's now the value of a klx but it goes a long way.
I'm now leaning towards an atv.
If the money is that much of an issue, watch a few YouTube videos and try and tackle it yourself.

That's all stuff I've done before. Just take your time.

Even if you're not comfortable disassembling forks, if you put it up on stands, and remove the forks, its less billable hours for the mechanic. Same as removing rims for tires.

Basic tool set and a shop manual will go a long way.

Back
Top Bottom