Benching ZX10R, buying KLX300 for a year's use. | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Benching ZX10R, buying KLX300 for a year's use.

Or maybe take a look at an RE Himalayan. It ain't very fast but it sure is ugly, cheap and built like a brick.

Looking for other motorcycle experience.
ZX10R needs expensive maintenance next year. Looking to offset the cost and try something new. Light Off road\ road use sounds appealing since I've always done the SS thing.
With the delayed 10R maint. and insurance savings may go along way to acquire another bike in the garage.
Question is, can a 300cc bike survive my annual Sudbury trip (maybe 400k)?
If you want to go off road, buy a bike designed for use off road rather than a heavy ADV bike. The KLX300/CRF300L is what you want. The 300cc versions of both bikes are much improved over the 250cc versions that some members here like to dump on.

I've got a CRF300L and a 1st gen KLR650. If I'm regularly riding long stretches of highway I'll take the KLR because it's a calmer experience at speed but it's a pig on the trails. On the other hand the CRF is an absolute delight on any road/surface below 90kph but it does get a bit hectic on the highway with the buffeting and crosswinds.

If you're riding to Sudbury from the GTA on a 300cc dual sport, just take the back roads. Yeah, you'll probably have to hop onto the highway for a couple of brief stretches but the bike will have plenty of power to do that.

FYI, I'm 6'4" and 200lbs. My 300L has an upgraded shock but is otherwise stock.

Looking for other motorcycle experience.
ZX10R needs expensive maintenance next year. Looking to offset the cost and try something new. Light Off road\ road use sounds appealing since I've always done the SS thing.
With the delayed 10R maint. and insurance savings may go along way to acquire another bike in the garage.
Question is, can a 300cc bike survive my annual Sudbury trip (maybe 400k)?

I'm curious how you think a 300cc bike won't survive? I have a GROM and I'll take that everywhere except 100km/hr roads. Sure, I won't get where I'm going fast, and I'll take all the side roads, but isn't that what you want to do on a bike?

If you're shooting straight up on the highway, the only thing I'd change on a small dual sport bike would be the seat. I rode my DRZ from Brampton to Barrie and Ganny before, and the stock seat was so painful.

I'm curious how you think a 300cc bike won't survive? I have a GROM and I'll take that everywhere except 100km/hr roads. Sure, I won't get where I'm going fast, and I'll take all the side roads, but isn't that what you want to do on a bike?

If you're shooting straight up on the highway, the only thing I'd change on a small dual sport bike would be the seat. I rode my DRZ from Brampton to Barrie and Ganny before, and the stock seat was so painful.
I'm asking because I have never owned a bike under 750cc.
I was concerned about overheating or spark plug issues.

My R3 is my race bike, and it never overheats on track, nor does anyone else's in the same class. Cooling system upgrades are available but those probably apply to someone racing these bikes at World Championship level in hot parts of the world, not to a stock bike running around here.

It's a modern fuel injected engine running on unleaded fuel; sparkplugs last a long time. I don't know about the dual-purpose bikes, but that part of the tech is the same.

My R3 is my race bike, and it never overheats on track, nor does anyone else's in the same class. Cooling system upgrades are available but those probably apply to someone racing these bikes at World Championship level in hot parts of the world, not to a stock bike running around here.

It's a modern fuel injected engine running on unleaded fuel; sparkplugs last a long time. I don't know about the dual-purpose bikes, but that part of the tech is the same.
There's a guy on my wr250r Facebook group that rode his 250 across Canada (from Ottawa) across the prairies, and up to NWT.

Pinned the whole time. Not fun, but doable. His bike is a 2008 that has over 70,000km.

Your cbr125 didn't live an easy life either.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

I'm asking because I have never owned a bike under 750cc.
I was concerned about overheating or spark plug issues.
You won't have any issues with overheating or sparkplugs. As Brian said it's a thoroughly modern bike, it MIGHT get hot and stall in low speed tight woods riding but not on the road.

I sold my KTM 990 SMT and got onto a 690 Enduro for a year. It was powerful enough for any road riding, but the seat and windblast made highway riding uncomfortable and even relatively fast 2 lane only tolerable in comparison to my SMT. The 690 was awesome on lightly travelled 2 lane roads, paved or dirt, abandoned railway right-of-ways, ATV trails etc. It was absolutely no fun in Ganaraska single track.

My Husqvarna FE250 dual sport is ABSOLUTELY amazing in single track since going 1 tooth down on the countershaft sprocket. It's a decent ride on lightly travelled 2 lane roads, paved or dirt, abandoned railway right-of-ways, ATV trails etc. but too underpowered to be really fun on those wide open trails. Plonking along country roads is good though.

I wouldn't take it on the highway unless it's on the back of my truck.

The Japanese 250-300's will be light years better than my Husky on road, but not anywhere as competent off-road.

I'd say buy one, you'll quickly find what kind of riding suits it and you.

but the seat and windblast made highway riding uncomfortable
my 690 smc made me discover types of butt pain I didnt know existed.
Downright torture for me

I wonder how much difference an aftermarket seat makes though:unsure:

my 690 smc made me discover types of butt pain I didnt know existed.
Downright torture for me

I wonder how much difference an aftermarket seat makes though:unsure:

I know someone who has an upgraded seat on one of those. It was a huge improvement, but considering that the stock seat was about as comfortable as sitting on a 2x4 ... and a 2x4 oriented vertical, not lying flat ... ! ! !

It's still not a comfortable bike for doing long trips. The bike (and engine) will do it, the mechanical bits are the least of your worries, but the chassis geometry is not designed for high-speed stability. You're sitting bolt upright, you're the parachute, and you're up high, and the force of that drag so high up is even further unweighting the already-light front end.

If it’s a 1year stint, needs to do some highway miles and light off road, I’d look at an older 650 Vstrom or KLR.

Inexpensive and you won’t be wringing it’s neck the you won’t be wringing it’s neck the whole trip.

I know someone who has an upgraded seat on one of those. It was a huge improvement, but considering that the stock seat was about as comfortable as sitting on a 2x4 ... and a 2x4 oriented vertical, not lying flat ... ! ! !

It's still not a comfortable bike for doing long trips. The bike (and engine) will do it, the mechanical bits are the least of your worries, but the chassis geometry is not designed for high-speed stability. You're sitting bolt upright, you're the parachute, and you're up high, and the force of that drag so high up is even further unweighting the already-light front end.
I was shocked to ride the 1290 superduke back to back, it felt more agile and nosey even with an extra 100 lbs!

If it’s a 1year stint, needs to do some highway miles and light off road, I’d look at an older 650 Vstrom or KLR.

Inexpensive and you won’t be wringing it’s neck the you won’t be wringing it’s neck the whole trip.
And when you decide to sell it, it should be easy to find a buyer.

And when you decide to sell it, it should be easy to find a buyer.
Yup, one of the big reasons I recommended it. Have a buddy who bought a new KLX300 a few years ago to start doing some light offroad adventure stuff. Sold it in the second year and it sat for months at a low price with no offers.
Biggest thing is to be comfortable if it's just light offroad stuff like OP is asking. Doesn't need a light (anything light will be uncomfortable) singletrack capable thing. Throw some 50/50 tires on a old $3000 Vstrom and abuse it all you want then sell it for $3000 again.

KTM 500 EXC-F looks appealing. Wondering about the seat?
Seats not great.

Lots of vibration too.

It all depends what you plan to do with it. Its a bit much for single track. They're animals.

The 350 exc or excf is better suited to offroad.

They're both high maintenance. 10 hour oil changes...

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

KTM 500 EXC-F looks appealing. Wondering about the seat?
looks terrible. anything with a straight narrow seat is gonna be brutal.

Back
Top Bottom