Benching ZX10R, buying KLX300 for a year's use. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Benching ZX10R, buying KLX300 for a year's use.

ungoloth

Site Supporter
Looking for other motorcycle experience.
ZX10R needs expensive maintenance next year. Looking to offset the cost and try something new. Light Off road\ road use sounds appealing since I've always done the SS thing.
With the delayed 10R maint. and insurance savings may go along way to acquire another bike in the garage.
Question is, can a 300cc bike survive my annual Sudbury trip (maybe 400k)?

Looking for other motorcycle experience.
ZX10R needs expensive maintenance next year. Looking to offset the cost and try something new. Light Off road\ road use sounds appealing since I've always done the SS thing.
With the delayed 10R maint. and insurance savings may go along way to acquire another bike in the garage.
Question is, can a 300cc bike survive my annual Sudbury trip (maybe 400k)?
As long as you're not in a hurry and are prepared to take secondary highways you'll be fine.
Personally I'd go with something a little bigger (CB500X ?) but that's just me.

Agreed, I'd look for something a bit more powerful. Literally anything can do light offroad. I've been through the Ganaraska on a GSXR1000 which I don't recommend but it'll do it. Get a used 650 Vstrom at the current years-end deals and put some appropriate tires on it and after a year or so sell it for what you paid for it. You'll be much more comfy.

I'll go against what the others have said.

Buy a klx300.

Its fun riding a slow bike fast.

Get into atv double track, and single track when you're ready.

Klx is indestructible.

This is my wr250r/x. Nearly 40,000km. 42,000km is the first scheduled valve adjustment...Still runs strong.
041b88d72ea1fe15872c733cb870e120.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

I'll go against what the others have said.

Buy a klx300.

Its fun riding a slow bike fast.

Get into atv double track, and single track when you're ready.

Klx is indestructible.

This is my wr250r/x. Nearly 40,000km. 42,000km is the first scheduled valve adjustment...Still runs strong.
041b88d72ea1fe15872c733cb870e120.jpg

Small petrol tanks = lots of stops along the way to Sudbury.

I have a KLX250. It's geared (sprockets) for a little more bottom end. Hard to get past about 90KPH. Even with stock gearing I think it would suck on longer trips.
Buy a KLR.

I have a KLX250. It's geared (sprockets) for a little more bottom end. Hard to get past about 90KPH. Even with stock gearing I think it would suck on longer trips.
Buy a KLR.
For a once a year trip, I would be ok with the KLX. It really depends on what their frequent rides look like. I'd much rather have the KLX than the KLR when playing in the woods.

For a once a year trip, I would be ok with the KLX. It really depends on what their frequent rides look like. I'd much rather have the KLX than the KLR when playing in the woods.
For a 4 hour ride to the woods I'd rather have the KLR.

I don't know about the dirt-bike engines, but I know someone who put 100,000 km on a Ninja 250. The Yamaha R3 seems almost immune to the number on the odometer as long as it gets basic maintenance.

"How" off-road ... Gravel roads, or actual dirt trails? Sliding scale: 0: Paved closed-course roadracing. 1: Pavement. 2: Gravel roads and comparable improved trails. 3: Actual dirt and trail riding. 4: Motocross. At best, pick two. You're not going to have something that's good at any three. Sport bikes are pretty much racetrack and pavement only (although I don't own a motorcycle that hasn't seen an occasional gravel road ... I will not say they are remotely comfortable or good on loose surfaces). The big adventure bikes will do pavement and gravel roads but they're barges on actual dirt. matt's WR250 will do trails and dirt but I'm not sure I'd want to jump on the highway and ride 400 km on those tires (and it isn't a motocross bike). An actual motocross dirt bike is going to suck on anything else.

Small petrol tanks = lots of stops along the way to Sudbury.
Agreed. I have an 18L ims tank.

Multiple front and rear sprockets for different uses.

Supermoto rims for street riding.

It will do 130, but it doesn't like it, or rather I don't like it.

Maybe he needs a crf300 rally, rather than a klx.

Reactions: TK4
matt's WR250 will do trails and dirt but I'm not sure I'd want to jump on the highway and ride 400 km on those tires (and it isn't a motocross bike). An actual motocross dirt bike is going to suck on anything else.

Agreed.

I need a dirtbike, an addition to the stable. Wr will do this, but its 50bs + heavier than a proper dirtbike.

But its a great low maintenance dual sport.
4c72f9095ddd7c603320d855b602f332.jpg

Yamaha or Kawi. Anything but that red pos.
My friend had a bone stock crf250L.

It was heavy and gutless.

Maybe removing everything unnecessary, and changing the gearing would have helped, but it'll never be a wr250r, or a klx for that matter. The crf300 is a little bit better.

Or go Orange, and have 10 hour oil changes... on a $13,000 exc-f. Always a compromise.

I also recommend ADV since you mention light offroad use.

If you stay with Honda.Do the gender swap thing. Be a little 130lb Dutch girl and you'll find the sweet spot.

In addition to being heavier, wingboy is a MUCH more experienced rider than a certain internet dutch girl (which is probably why he was not so impressed with it)

Back
Top Bottom