Anyone into gardening here? | Page 68 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone into gardening here?

I'll be heavily into gardening next year. Have two large vegetable beds to work.
One will be for tomatoes, cucumbers, beans, and peppers. The other will be for either potatoes and/or corn. Doing our own compost as well thanks to chickens and goats.
Our goal is to be much more self sustainable, we'll see how it goes.

Always open to solid advice and tips.
That sounds like a great idea. We all like to feel we can do more to be self sustainable. If you can grow your own stuff the way you like and what you like.
My sister in law has a great garden and there are deer and rabbits that were taking far too much (not raccoons like we have), so she put up a chicken wire fence and that has helped a lot.
The tomatoes were fantastic for us this year. Doesn’t seem like too many critters like them.
I stay away from sunflower and corn for same reasons mentioned here. There has been coyotes spotted near us so I think the rabbit population has been sparse and leaving our greens alone.
Your own composted is even better.
Looking forward to your updates.
Now I am off to pick the grapes off the vine before the raccoons tell each other.

Well you guys are sure the poo poo parade... lol
The gardens have been successful for decades so I expect no less from us.
In my opinion worth the effort but, if it all gets eaten, we'll live and learn.
We were talking to a guy that had a bit of a garden and we mentioned the pests. He said he wasn't worried as his wife was from Tennessee and was a good shot. Not sure what the rules are where you are. Where do you have to be to be able to protect crops?

I used to like growing sunflowers. Giant ones. Managed a few 12ft+ ones in Ottawa but in Kingston I grew them and then just as I expected the heads to burst into flower some kind of psycopath Chernobyl mutated thieving squirrel comes along and carts the thing off neatly severed from the stem. So I planted corn….same thing.

I love animals but I did think about booby trapping all my plants.

Now the odd animal takes a tomato or two but I intersperse the planting with garlic and peppers and it cuts down on a lot of thieving.
That's what happened to my Sunflower in my pots in front of the veranda, found the remains of the head all over the floor. But I've got a few 8ft'rs infront of the house that haven't been touched, but the heads doop. Still nice to see either way nice bright flowers and look great when fully open. I'll do better next year I hope.

That's what happened to my Sunflower in my pots in front of the veranda, found the remains of the head all over the floor. But I've got a few 8ft'rs infront of the house that haven't been touched, but the heads doop. Still nice to see either way nice bright flowers and look great when fully open. I'll do better next year I hope.

People used to travel to our place in Ottawa to take photos! The sunflowers were that tall. But…the reason they got so tall was that I rigged up a timed watering system that kept them watered every day. The only problem was this made the ground a bit waterlogged and a section of fence that wasn’t concreted in fell over as the soil didn’t support it! If my wife didn’t like the sunflowers so much I might have suffered some small amount of violence.

1694061989445.jpeg

Last edited:
That sounds like a great idea. We all like to feel we can do more to be self sustainable. If you can grow your own stuff the way you like and what you like.
My sister in law has a great garden and there are deer and rabbits that were taking far too much (not raccoons like we have), so she put up a chicken wire fence and that has helped a lot.
The tomatoes were fantastic for us this year. Doesn’t seem like too many critters like them.
I stay away from sunflower and corn for same reasons mentioned here. There has been coyotes spotted near us so I think the rabbit population has been sparse and leaving our greens alone.
Your own composted is even better.
Looking forward to your updates.
Now I am off to pick the grapes off the vine before the raccoons tell each other.
Thanks, we'll see how it goes. Still not 100% sure on what we'll plant but we'll figure it out.

lost my melon crop to some sort of blight. i havent harvested the fruit yet. im too upset to see if they're ripe. hopefully i can save the seeds

we plant arugula as it grows really well in our climate and is more interesting than just lettuce as that just bolts after a while. It also doesn’t seem to be affected by any pests in our garden.
We do the same. For some reason it comes out really spicy, which I love. Also I can get the seed pods in the fall and save for next year's harvest. It is definitely better than lettuce. I tried to grow celery for the first time this year, it was way too bitter and unchewable, oh well live and learn.

lost my melon crop to some sort of blight. i havent harvested the fruit yet. im too upset to see if they're ripe. hopefully i can save the seeds

Blight or mildew on the leaves? Things like melon and zucchini are prone to that. There’s a way to prevent it by spraying the plant (leaves) with mild detergent or something I think.

Blight or mildew on the leaves? Things like melon and zucchini are prone to that. There’s a way to prevent it by spraying the plant (leaves) with mild detergent or something I think.
I believe blight mildew are essentially the same thing
Some people suggest sodium bicarbonate in an aqueous solution but it needs to be applied before the presence of any spores. Once spots are visible on leaves, it's almost impossible to stop.

Seems like all my Sunflowers are starting to wilt. All the heads are drooping now and look shrivelled. I think I did ok watering them. I was just watering them at the base, not sure if I should have watered the stalks or leaves though. I misted them today just in case.

Seems like all my Sunflowers are starting to wilt. All the heads are drooping now and look shrivelled. I think I did ok watering them. I was just watering them at the base, not sure if I should have watered the stalks or leaves though. I misted them today just in case.
You get a frost yet?

Heavy base watering was all I did to get them to giant status. They can take a lot it seems.

Are the seeds fully formed? If they are, then mission complete and plant will whither. My tomato plants have been doing that for the last couple of weeks. There are some tomatoes in them but the leaves are turning yellow. Wonder if it is the same thing. I haven’t grown sunflowers for a long time so can’t really remember.

Are the seeds fully formed? If they are, then mission complete and plant will whither. My tomato plants have been doing that for the last couple of weeks. There are some tomatoes in them but the leaves are turning yellow. Wonder if it is the same thing. I haven’t grown sunflowers for a long time so can’t really remember.
I think so. Mabye I should collect some seeds for next year.

It got down to 6 C here a few nights ago, my banana plants aren’t happy.
Dig them up and toss them in an area where they won’t freeze. You might get bananas next year.

Looking for suggestions for storage of Dahlia bulbs/tubers. Have read about sawdust, wrapped in newspaper?
I have stored canna lily bulbs in open air in milk crates in a cool, dry area with great success.

Back
Top Bottom