Anyone into gardening here? | Page 67 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone into gardening here?

That’s a great initiative! Not sure if it’s applicable but if you take a $2 bag of topsoil and cut an X on the top and cut a couple of drainage holes underneath you can grow a surprising variety of things in it (with a bit of food and regular watering). We had great results with tomato plants in a few one year. They can be placed on driveways etc.
yup that can work. Personally I, prefer garden beds as seeds can fall into the soil and regrow the next year and the soil can be amended with leaves and compost, but for people who don't want to dedicate the space, or have a shaded yard, it can work.

Bought one of these to do some trimming of the trees in my backyard. I think @jc100 has something similar.
This is from Amazon, got a deal on it so, 10" electric, convertable, the pole detaches.
ele saw.jpg

Tested it out tonight, just trimmed down a bit of a stump into several pieces. Did ok was pretty strong at first and seemed to not to do as well later on. Might be some slack in the chain which wasn't like that at the start, or the dirt around the stump didn't work so well with the chain.

Trimmed a branch off a tree, might be more work then I thought it would be, and other branches might be too thick.
We'll see.

Also too dam hot, I was only outside for 40 min testing it out and I'm soaked. 😬

Bought one of these to do some trimming of the trees in my backyard. I think @jc100 has something similar.
This is from Amazon, got a deal on it so, 10" electric, convertable, the pole detaches.
View attachment 63058

Tested it out tonight, just trimmed down a bit of a stump into several pieces. Did ok was pretty strong at first and seemed to not to do as well later on. Might be some slack in the chain which wasn't like that at the start, or the dirt around the stump didn't work so well with the chain.

Trimmed a branch off a tree, might be more work then I thought it would be, and other branches might be too thick.
We'll see.

Also too dam hot, I was only outside for 40 min testing it out and I'm soaked. 😬
Does it still have chain oil?

Keep dirt away from chains unless you plan on throwing out the chain and bar in short order.

Does it still have chain oil?

Keep dirt away from chains unless you plan on throwing out the chain and bar in short order.
I filled it before I started. But didn't check it afterwards, just to dam humid.
Will check it all and clean/adjust it next time I use it.

View attachment 63058

We'll see.

I was wondering about those saw them in the Princess Auto flyer. Figured it would have some good use first couple of years then it would sit around. Thought maybe renting a gas powered one for the weekend (or two) might prove I need to buy one or not.
Thanks for the report!

I was wondering about those saw them in the Princess Auto flyer. Figured it would have some good use first couple of years then it would sit around. Thought maybe renting a gas powered one for the weekend (or two) might prove I need to buy one or not.
Thanks for the report!
A few neighbours have gas powered pole saws I can borrow when needed. A cordless reciprocating saw with a pruning blade and a normal chainsaw do 99.9% of what I need. I borrowed the pole saw once to cut back branches overhanging a roof. No ladder tall enough to access from the ground so I stood on the roof and cleared back as far as I could reach. That will buy 5-10 years before I need to do it again.

Last edited:
View attachment 63058

We'll see.

It’s the slack. Mine needed adjusting after about 20 mins or so as it was new. Less adjustment now It’s worn in.

I have the yardworks version going on 14 years now. It has been well used, the chain now needs constant adjustment. Given the price and use, it owes me nothing.

I'll be heavily into gardening next year. Have two large vegetable beds to work.
One will be for tomatoes, cucumbers, beans, and peppers. The other will be for either potatoes and/or corn. Doing our own compost as well thanks to chickens and goats.
Our goal is to be much more self sustainable, we'll see how it goes.

Always open to solid advice and tips.

I'll be heavily into gardening next year. Have two large vegetable beds to work.
One will be for tomatoes, cucumbers, beans, and peppers. The other will be for either potatoes and/or corn. Doing our own compost as well thanks to chickens and goats.

Animals know just before you when corn is ready. Expect to tell your wife you will pick the corn tomorrow and then walk out to a pillaged field and fat raccoons. I would be fencing corn.

Animals know just before you when corn is ready. Expect to tell your wife you will pick the corn tomorrow and then walk out to a pillaged field and fat raccoons. I would be fencing corn.
We have given up the animals get everything. Easier and cheaper to go to the store . Raccoons took a whole tree of peaches the day before we were going to pick them. They also took a bunch of chickens. The deer and birds get what is left.

Sent from the future

We have given up the animals get everything. Easier and cheaper to go to the store . Raccoons took a whole tree of peaches the day before we were going to pick them. They also took a bunch of chickens. The deer and birds get what is left.

Sent from the future
Well you guys are sure the poo poo parade... lol
The gardens have been successful for decades so I expect no less from us.
In my opinion worth the effort but, if it all gets eaten, we'll live and learn.

Hey, we all wish you the best and homegrown stuff has many upsides. Just relaying our experiences with animals to try to help you enjoy the fruits of your labour.

If I were to a hobby farm, I'd focus on stuff that's expensive to buy, difficult for predators, and easy to grow.

I'd stay away from animals and crops that are hard to defend or cheap to purchase.

Just a heads up we are in the bush so there are lots of animals that wreak havoc if you are more open area it can be better. I do wish you luck I just like to be warned.

Sent from the future

If I were to a hobby farm, I'd focus on stuff that's expensive to buy, difficult for predators, and easy to grow.

I'd stay away from animals and crops that are hard to defend or cheap to purchase.
Maybe he can have emus instead of chickens. Similar end products, safe from smaller predators.

Obviously not on the scale we are talking here but we started a raised bed veggie garden this year. We have huge number of squirrels, a rabbit (lives in the yard), many raccoons in the yard on a daily basis.

When we first planted, things were getting dug up daily. I then covered the garden dirt with cayenne pepper (sprinkled), re-applied a few times this summer. I also spread Critter Ridder on the grass near the garden (around it) but not in, maybe twice so far. My wife planted some marigolds in the garden and added hot pepper plants around the outside.

Animals are staying clear of that garden. We also used the Critter Ridder in our front flower bed, stopped the dogs from going in but you need to keep re-applying every few weeks for this to keep working.

Just a heads up we are in the bush so there are lots of animals that wreak havoc if you are more open area it can be better. I do wish you luck I just like to be warned.

Sent from the future
We're in an open area surrounded by farmers fields.
While I'm sure we'll deal with some loss, we're excited for the future and give it our best shot but we're well aware of the pitfalls.

I used to like growing sunflowers. Giant ones. Managed a few 12ft+ ones in Ottawa but in Kingston I grew them and then just as I expected the heads to burst into flower some kind of psycopath Chernobyl mutated thieving squirrel comes along and carts the thing off neatly severed from the stem. So I planted corn….same thing.

I love animals but I did think about booby trapping all my plants.

Now the odd animal takes a tomato or two but I intersperse the planting with garlic and peppers and it cuts down on a lot of thieving.

Back
Top Bottom