Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 98 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

Currently:
8000km/yr
Averaging 12L/100km from Jeep doing short drive
Annual gas: 960L x $1.20/L= $1152 ($96/mo)
Current annual lease vehicle cost: $6000
Total annual cost to have Jeep is about $7000

Looks like potential annual gas savings could be about $1000.

So what can I get and operate with $6000 annually?

Edit: wife also mentioned getting a Civic. So gas cost diff. there would only be about $500/yr.

This is unfortunately one of those things where people have to do their own math. Everyone's scenario is technically different. It really is, regardless what you will read or hear. We can help you out, but the hard work math will have to be done by you. And that is just numbers, nobody will convince you that driving EV is really superior experience, especially in winter city driving. People will say, it's BS ... until they meaningfully try it (not 5 min. demo someplace).

I will just say that for around 6K-8K/year, you can get into 30kWh EV on a 3year lease (incl. gov. rebate) ... depends on your trade-in, owed money .... you will save fuel money, which purely depends on your driving distance per year. Lowest with lease will be 16K/year commitment. If you drive significantly less, you will not have much fuel saving deductions.

If it is your only vehicle you need to depend on for short and long distance travel, with your budget, you will not be able to get pure EV at this point, nor would I say it is advisable.

In my case, I am driving brand new car for around $2K/year for next 3 years (includes even 30$/month for home charging which I use very seldom since I free charge close to my work; we will see how long this lasts). I will have basically zero maintenance costs and don't have to even worry about scratches, small panel issues, broken windshield etc. typically things you can get dinged for when you return a leased vehicle. It was really hard to not get rid of my city ICE car ... even though Sunny and other experts were warning me endlessly ... LOL

You need to learn few basic things when considering EV, there's no free lunch. You will need to carry that through the usage as well ... I know people (friends, co-workers) who keep asking me all the time about EV's, but because I know them, I say, frankly stay away. I know they would be bitching all the time that they either have to plug it in, or consider how much range they have for an out of ordinary drive they are trying to do. It's just not if, but how often will they end up on the flatbed truck a month ...

Last edited:
In my case, I am driving brand new car for around $2K/year for next 3 years (includes even 30$/month for home charging which I use very seldom since I free charge close to my work; we will see how long this lasts).

You leased it for less than 2k/year, doesn't make sense to me, are you factoring in other savings or something?

So when you sell or trade your Volt / Bolt for something else you have to pay an electrician a couple of hundred dollars to remove the old charger and put it in the trunk of the car for the next guy. You could do it yourself but I think that calls for permit from ESA, $80-90.

If you buy another EV you pay an electrician to hook up the new charger.

I think the EV's are showing their potential but the math still isn't working. Guinea pigs are needed to work the bugs out of the system.

Buying an EV costs about $25,000 more than a similar ICE. The buyer picks up about $11,000 of that and us tax payers pay the other $14,000. How long can this go on?

Is the $14,000 taxable income?

In a Ponzi scheme bad math and logistics eventually expose the truth. If the EV math doesn't prove itself the negative feedback could doom EV's like so many lead into gold / water into gas cons.

Better off with a Hybrid for now, Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid new starts at $24g cdn. 58mpg. good price for a decent car, no EV worries.

You leased it for less than 2k/year, doesn't make sense to me, are you factoring in other savings or something?

You have to ...

You take the cost of the car, which for me is roughly $5.5K all-in (I had a small down payment from trade-in .. about $2K) and I save easily +$2.5K in gas/year if the prices stay where they are now. Plus another bit on insurance, since the car is newer/safer rating, but it's piddly amount compared to the fuel saving. Charging if done 100% home on off-peak would cost me about 30$/month ... but as I said, I free-charge most of the time. But even if, factor $300 bucks in a year, it's not far from my overall car costs of $2K/year ... I cannot really complain ... :)

Better off with a Hybrid for now, Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid new starts at $24g cdn. 58mpg. good price for a decent car, no EV worries.

Blablabla .... don't you get bored of the BS you are spreading?

So he had a fundamental problem with government incentives (which is fine, either some of us are fundamentally against any incentives or we except them as a needed step to get from point and to point B at times ...), which you took and turned it into your EV bashing propaganda.

What will it take for you to leave this thread, I am just wondering. Why don't you start your own and spread your anti-EV automotive wisdom there. Worried, that you would have no replies? Makes sense .... I guess.

How did everyone do with slogging through the snow this morning?
Wife volt did well but it has snow tires you could see the spots on the driveway where the bottom was dragging but no issues.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Coast to coast with one charge

UBA0zel.jpg
[/url]

No issues in the Bolt with Michelin X-Ice 3's on it. Have to be a little careful with the throttle at times and had a couple of slip & slide moments, but nothing I wouldn't have had in any other car. Mostly was frustrated getting stuck behind idiots with summer/bald tires. Couldn't believe the number of people who couldn't get up Bayview north of Pottery Rd.

About the same as a new Hyundai.

I love the idea of blowing bye-bye kisses to the people at the pumps but can't make it work for me.

I will agree that the increased cost of an EV isn't for everyone, and the math doesn't always work. But for some, like my wife, it most certainly does. It's working awesome for me too - I'm averaging about 75-100KM per day since before Christmas, solely electric. Every 100KM I drive saves me about $18 vs my old Hemi Magnum, so the math is pretty simple.

However at 100KM/week, yeah, you might as well buy an cheap ICE car and save yourself the difference.

I asked a long haul trucker if the money was good and he said it wasn't but since all you do is drive and sleep in the bunk you don't spend what you make.

Well, except for eating, sure. And showering. And other things that you take for granted at home that aren't free on the road.

Blablabla .... don't you get bored of the BS you are spreading?

In the last week over about 400KM I've averaged 336 miles per gallon. 0.7L/100KM.

But he still thinks 58 MPG is impressive somehow.

Just ignore him moving forward, all he's doing is just trolling now, there's no other plausible explanation for being so obtuse.

My wife works in Peterborough, 75KM up the notoriously bad 35/115. She made it there safe and sound, no problems. She has snows on hers.

I don't have snows (just the LRR all seasons) and did just fine. Yeah, I was pushing snow out of the way with the front air dam (we got a LOT out here, had to shovel the driveway 4 times today alone) but never had any issues.

Unlike all the usual "EV's are useless in the cold LOL!" paranoia that spreads online everytime there's some cold or snow, I did just fine through the entire arctic blast and following snow today. Used next to no gas, either - see last reply.

The Volt is an amazingly stable car due to it's extremely low centre of gravity and weight distribution.

feel free to ignore my posts, but the reality is, GM is realizing the stupidity of their error and R and D dollars.

if you examine other makers, the smart ones all have variations of the same model with various power sources whether it be electric, hybrid, plug in hybrid, hydrogen, diesel, or ICE for their mass models

you have Clarity, Ioniq, VW Golf, Soul, etc.

GM dumped all their R and D money into a one trick pony Volt since 2011 and is realizing how dumb it is and finally killing it off since so few people bought it.

Don't believe me? Why is their no third Gen Volt coming to keep the franchise going? It's the next greatest thing isn't it?

Sorry, but reality is not trolling.

EDIT found this little gem after I posted the above :

"The Chevrolet Volt was heralded as a technological marvel when it arrived on the scene for the 2011 model year. It promised a more efficient future with the combination of an electric motor and reserve gasoline engine and the possibility of 98 MPGe.

Fast forward to 2017, and the Chevrolet Volt hasn’t become the electric car savior General Motors envisioned"

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2017/07...die-in-2020-be-replaced-by-plug-in-crossover/

Last edited:

ECO mode and a lot of sensitive throttle pedal application ... LOL ... the tires are the obvious stumbling block. Bad M+S rating .... :-( ... but the car behaves predictably in slides, so that's good.

The one thing I learned quickly is to limit regen when there's severely limited traction available. The car becomes uncontrollable sled when heavy regen kicks in ... not sure whether others feel the same way (when no winter tires are used)

Last edited:
In the last week over about 400KM I've averaged 336 miles per gallon. 0.7L/100KM.

But he still thinks 58 MPG is impressive somehow.

Just ignore him moving forward, all he's doing is just trolling now, there's no other plausible explanation for being so obtuse.

I am trying hard believe me. I guess I have to dig deeper ... LOL

feel free to ignore my posts, but the reality is, GM is realizing the stupidity of their error and R and D dollars.

if you examine other makers, the smart ones all have variations of the same model with various power sources whether it be electric, hybrid, plug in hybrid, hydrogen, diesel, or ICE for their mass models

you have Clarity, Ioniq, VW Golf, Soul, etc.

GM dumped all their R and D money into a Volt since 2011 and is realizing how dumb it is and finally killing it off since so few people bought it.

Don't believe me? Why is their no third Gen Volt coming to keep the franchise going? It's the next greatest thing isn't it?

Sorry, but reality is not trolling.

EDIT found this little gem after I posted the above :

[FONT=&]The Chevrolet Volt was heralded as a technological marvel when it arrived on the scene for the 2011 model year. It promised a more efficient future with the combination of an electric motor and reserve gasoline engine and the possibility of 98 MPGe.[/FONT]

Fast forward to 2017, and the Chevrolet Volt hasn’t become the electric car savior General Motors envisioned

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2017/07...die-in-2020-be-replaced-by-plug-in-crossover/

I just added you to my ignore list, really best solution to stop seeing your daily cocktail of non-sense and misinformation. You are in a special company of only two people, feel privileged ... :)

I just added you to my ignore list, really best solution to stop seeing your daily cocktail of non-sense and misinformation. You are in a special company of only two people, feel privileged ... :)

perhaps, but you still quoted me.

The main problem with the Volt is that it is not a CUV. There are reasons it wasn't designed as one (aerodynamics, weight = range) but the market wants to CUV all the things. (It is a D2 platform vehicle ... the powertrain will fit in any other D2 platform vehicle ... the new Equinox is a D2 platform vehicle ... I'm not allowed to connect the dots, but feel free to.)

The powertrain interchangeability was a thing for a while, but it has become apparent that a good EV needs a designed-in place for the batteries with the preferred location being flat underneath the floor below the full passenger compartment. Tesla is like that and the Bolt is like that, upcoming VW and Mercedes are going that route. The e-Golf is not a good EV, the range is too short ... it will be replaced when VW's new MEB platform (dedicated EV) shows up. The Hyundai and Kia products don't have enough range to go mass-market. (The Ioniq is in the midst of an emergency rework to give it more battery capacity.) The Honda Clarity thus far is a science experiment; the EV version does not have enough range - and it IS a dedicated-platform vehicle.

Exactly ... the only mistake GM made with Voltec is that they didn't put in Equinox or Terrain two or three years ago ... The issue is that the ICE versions have been selling well ... too well. And let's be honest here, GM still does EV or PHEV only when they are pushed to do it. The can do it well, but only if pushed .... that is sort of their biggest problem, in my view.

Back
Top Bottom