Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 96 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

Re: Kia

Then you went on over countless replies to discredit your own opinions in countless places with contrarian replies, stating that "EV's suck" more or less a number of times.
h it.

More fake news!

If you 're read the early part of YOUR thread, I said until electric cars take off and we have better choices than the lame duck Volt. A proper hybrid makes more sense.

See post 15 and 21 electric thread

Last edited:

A proper hybrid makes more sense.

Oh PUH LEEZE. Are we really going to revisit this BS again?

I just passed the first 1000KM on our second Volt. My fuel economy was 0.3L/100KM. The only reason it was even that high was because I had to use some gas in range extender mode driving home from the dealership in Newmarket.

Please show me ANY hybrid on the face of the planet that can achieve that. I'd like to buy 2 of them to replace our Volts.

Yes, for people who drive a lot SOME hybrids may achieve better overall fuel economy than the first gen Volt can once you surpass the magic number of around 140KM or whatever it was tested to be. On the gen2 with it's even better economy and much larger EV range, that magic number is something like 500KM.

Again, statistics are pretty clear that 95% of vehicles do about 60KM a day or less, which not coincidentally, was what the Gen1 Volt was built to achieve, and the Gen2 Volt handily exceeds.

But lets keep going with your alternate universe theories.

Again, statistics are pretty clear that 95% of vehicles do about 60KM a day or less,.

if that was the case, EVERYBODY would be driving 300+km range Bolts and the market would have exploded by now.

Sure a hybrid uses more gas, but lower initial costs, and no plug in worries. not everyone has a charger at work. or a comfy single family dwelling. or wants to go hunting at malls and churches and banquet halls and parks that feature EV charging. please.

As I said repeatedly, electric cars will take off and are here to stay, we just need more choices and competition. Happily, its coming

Last edited:
I was at Ikea and happened to park across from the EV charger spots. Saw a lot of cars cruising past those empty spots looking for parking.
Why do the EV spots have to be right at the front door? Driving an EV doesn't mean you are mobility impaired or struggling with little kids.
Other than the cost of longer wiring, wouldn't it promote more goodwill from regular drivers if the chargers were not located in the spots closest to the door?

In short? Wiring.

You need big wires to feed the amp requirements of a bank of chargers, so in most parking lots they’re situated near the doors to avoid huge long runs of expensive wiring.

And retailers know that EV chargers attract EV drivers who will often spend more time shopping while they pickup some free electrons.

Of course you are right sir, but trust me, we are all trying hard .... but the BS Sunny comes up regularly with is just so hard to ignore. It's like the best mental training on self-control one can get ... :)

It's funny how the human brain works .... We all know that the lower the temperature, the more negative effect on the range ... so normally that means in most minds that EV and freezing temps is like black and white. Yet, I feel every single day driving in this frigid cold temps how much more superior the EV is for city commutes and errands than a regular car. More comfortable, because it's basically instantly warm, don't care whether I stop ten times in 2hrs to run some errands. The driving is instantly smooth, compared to ICE car which in this ambient temp would take good 10 minutes to bring to operating temps. I am really pleasantly surprised how fun this is still in this cold weather. On contrary to many articles I get to read every single day, how bad really it can be to live with EV's these days ... yeah, it really sucks ... :) ... At least, the DCFC chargers will not be crowded anytime soon, I hope.

I just hope that this will not have a negative effect on my wallet .... LOL ... meaning, that I have to keep driving the gasser for a number of reasons, at least for another 2-3 years to not take beating on a trade-in, plus .... the ideal second EV or PHEV (it would have to have DCFC plug which is rather rare ...) car I need, really does not exist yet. The closest to my budget and capabilities will probably be the Hyundai KONA or KIA NIRO ... or whatever others decide to release next. I doubt I will be willing to spend more money than that on a second car. I'd love to have EV version of my Volvo V60, but that will be mad money when it comes out, and used off lease will be another 2 years minimum from release ... 2022, maybe? ... LOL, did I just say that?

Last edited:
Yeah, despite the range decrease in the cold I would still rather be in the Bolt than an ICE vehicle. Of course since I still had 200km+ range today it's not like I have any worries about not making it home or anything. Every time I get in an ICE vehicle now I'm instantly thinking how much better the EV is.

Of course you are right sir, but trust me, we are all trying hard .... but the BS Sunny comes up regularly with is just so hard to ignore. It's like the best mental training on self-control one can get ... :)

if he really wants to be TurboDish, he needs to go Darkside.

I read somewhere that the batteries in electric cars are heated/cooled sometimes partially using vents in the car and these can be clogged up with pet fur. Is this the case with the volt/bolt as well?

Volt and Bolt have thermal management based on glycol coolant. The Prius and Leaf use cabin air cooling.

I read somewhere that the batteries in electric cars are heated/cooled sometimes partially using vents in the car and these can be clogged up with pet fur. Is this the case with the volt/bolt as well?

The Volt/Bolt/Tesla/Etc all use active thermal management for heating and cooling the battery - a few manufacturers tried passive cooling, and yes, it didn't work out so well for longevity.

One thing I'll say about EV's is there's NO difference in the driving feel when it gets cold. Unlike gas-powered cars that tend to run & sound rougher when the temps get cold, with an EV it's all the same driving experience regardless of temp outside.

One thing I'll say about EV's is there's NO difference in the driving feel when it gets cold. Unlike gas-powered cars that tend to run & sound rougher when the temps get cold, with an EV it's all the same driving experience regardless of temp outside.

Yeah I have to agree with all that's being said here. In such frigid temps the EV does feel a bit superior. Also the preconditioning/remote start on an EV is much better. At work my parking lot is full of cars/SUV's/Pickups idling for atleast 20mins, while my Volt humms along quietly (occasionally the ICE starts up and idles for a couple minutes to better heat things).

Having said that though I did lose Electric heat briefly a week or so ago. Could only get cabin heat when the ICE was running. It's working again though. :confused:

I don't know any manufacturer who doesn't heat control batteries, meaning that if the temps are too low than optimal (whatever the number is established by a given OEM) the vehicle upon cold start will first take care of the battery, meaning it will use the high voltage battery to make heat which warms the pack up. For example, if you bring a "cold" car to DCFC station the management system on the vehicle will prevent the charge to send a full power charge, it will slowly taper it up, until the battery is in a condition to receive safely full charging power of DCFC.

On the cooling side of things, it's a bit more complicated. There's active cooling with actual coolant media circulating the battery cells (Tesla, Volt, Bolt), there's passive cooling where heat is dissipated with a help of a fan and cooling duct (Kia Soul, e-Golf) and there's no cooling at all, which I believe was only the old Nissan Leaf.

Logic dictates that full active cooling should be the best, but I wonder sometimes whether some of the OEMs using passive cooling have done their math and rather go for cheaper price of their pack and take the risk of having to replace the pack if it drops under their battery warranty terms (which mostly are along the lines of 8years/100000km with 70% or more capacity left). Having no cooling, Nissan chose in Leaf v1 was not a smart decision I think.

Anyone see the 16 TESLA SUPER CHARGERS at the WalMart Smart Center ,, 20 Pinebush Rd in Cambridge. Someone must think there is a LOT of electric cars to charge....

Anyone see the 16 TESLA SUPER CHARGERS at the WalMart Smart Center ,, 20 Pinebush Rd in Cambridge. Someone must think there is a LOT of electric cars to charge....

401 corridor. Not surprising. There's a bunch in Cobourg as well.

In preparation for Model 3 ... The need for widespread charging stations prior to EV becoming mainstream, is something Tesla got right ... and they are leaving everyone else in the dust. The other manufacturers STILL want public fast-charging to be someone else's problem.

Back
Top Bottom