Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 149 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

... that the rest of the auto industry figured out a few decades ago.

They're not building smartphones. You gotta make parts available.

The recent change to make the parts catalog available has to be backed up by making the actual parts available, and that doesn't seem to have happened!

Poor Volt (and Cruze) owners, GM is pulling the PLUG....... (pun intended)

Pretty sure in business you don't kill a product that is selling well? Oh well, resale value will take a hit, and I'm sure parts will be harder and harder to come by as the years roll on. Lousy situation to be an owner of these vehicles.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/26/business/gm-cars-dropping-production/index.html

P.S. my heart goes out to those affected by the Oshawa closures. Hope GM takes care of their ex employees with skills training and good compensation.

The Volt name may no longer be in use but I imagine the driveline technology will find its way into another (small SUV perhaps) platform.

But you knew that already......

Last edited:
The Rivan looks interesting. They will be doing a SUV version in the future.

https://carbuzz.com/news/rivian-r1t-electric-pickup-has-400-mile-range-and-mind-blowing-performance

I'll be shocked but happy if they hit their advertised specs and price. They claim to be ~$30,000 less than a Tesla 100D (or ~60,000 less than a P100D with similar hp). I suspect the price is off by by at least a factor of two (or they are factoring in batteries being magically cheaper in two years when they think they will start production).

I would buy one if it was available at those prices it will be interesting to see what towing does to the range.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Well, I never thought I'd sell my 2014 so soon but with GM cancelling plans to keep building the Volt (& it seems applying the Voltec powertrain in another vehicle), I'm making the move to a Gen2 so mine's up for sale. See post #32 here and a few after for my comments when PP started this thread.

Seems like GM and everyone else is moving to fully electric and I'm not quite ready to make that move yet (at least until fast charging at every gas stn is available) so I'm getting the vehicle that currently provides the most EV-only range before the gas engine kicks in, and that's a Gen2 Volt.

Ad here and thanks for looking: https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks...km/1401542247?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

The Volt name may no longer be in use but I imagine the driveline technology will find its way into another (small SUV perhaps) platform.

But you knew that already......

if GM had any clue, (hint: they don't) they would have introduced the purported SUV powered by the Volt-like powertrain before killing off the Volt.

But you knew that already....

How do you know that's not going to happen?

because it hasn't happened yet?

Lets look at it from a non enthusiast viewpoint and general car buying public,

GM preaches electrification and alternative power as the "future", yet they announce their lame duck and over priced Volt gets the axe along with other underperforming models. The Diesel power model has been abandoned by virtually every other major car maker, yet GM brings diesel Cruze and Equinox to the market. Where is their hydrogen car? Does anyone even know what a Bolt is anymore?

As a buyer, I'm left confused with their message, but am left to conclude that this is a company that has lost its way and is not able to produce a world class vehicle and has no clue to market demands.

Why wouldn't they say, Hey, We're killing the Volt, but we have THIS coming..... Wheres the Buzz? Rather I see a company that has reached desperation mode, yet again, and through "restructuring" hope and praying that they get it right.

Like I said, totally clueless.

I was thinking about the Volt's cancellation and got to wondering if GM is, like with the EV1 from the late 90's, ahead of it's time again such that the masses are just behind the curve?

I can see the day in the future when people start to get stranded in their EV's and someone will say "geez, why didn't they just add a small gas engine to this so it can keep going when it runs out of charge?".

Maybe the infrastructure will be there such that all gas stations will have chargers and a boost will never be too far away and it'll be a non-issue but I can't help but wonder if the Volt will be looked back as ahead of it's time.

The Volt will be cancelled but the Voltec driveline will most likely end up in a different platform with a different name.

The sky is not falling.

Tesla has already proven nicely, that there is NO need to put a combustion engine in a car anymore. Super charging stations are becoming more and more common.

Couple that, with the fact that the ultimate goal is zero emission motoring (hydrogen and electric), you can be sure, cars like the Volt will end up in a dump.

Im pretty sure when Electric cars become "normal", its the Tesla that everyone will be looking at as "ahead of its time" starting with the first electric Tesla Roadster way back in 2008

Last edited:
Tesla has already proven nicely, that there is NO need to put a combustion engine in a car anymore.

If you live in a house and have multiple ICE vehicles available to you.

I know many people with PIEV/BEV and ICE in their driveway. I personally no none with just BEV. Sure, it may be the way of the future, but for many, BEV still presents substantial obstacles to freedom (eg downtown with no parking pad, condos, far from the GTA etc.).

Back
Top Bottom