Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 147 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

It is possible to estimate with reasonable accuracy how much energy rolling resistance takes. The total coefficient of rolling friction is around 0.015 for normal properly inflated tires. For a vehicle weighing 1500 kg it takes 225 N to push it against the tire rolling resistance. Pushing with that force for 400 km (car's approximate range) uses 90 MJ of energy. That's 25 kWh. That's a pretty significant percentage of the battery capacity. (More than I thought when starting this calculation!)

Low rolling resistance it is.

I have some Kumho Solus all season tires on my summer wheels. I don’t see the LRR designation anywhere on them but I like them.

Whenever it comes time to replace them I’ll definitely get something with the LRR rating.

LRR’s are definitely love-hate. They do positively effect range for EV’s and MPG’s for gassers, but they do have downsides - they are more fragile being the main issue.

LRR’s are definitely love-hate. They do positively effect range for EV’s and MPG’s for gassers, but they do have downsides - they are more fragile being the main issue.

Have you seen any studies on LRR on the freewheeling tires with good rubber on the drive tires? I would assume that would be a reasonable compromise although it would probably be closer to the sticky tire power consumption than the LRR rate. Obviously, if you drive full-retard with this setup, you will like end up in the rhubarb, but most EV drivers seem to lean much more toward the eco side of driving.

I knew that statement by Musk was going to be big trouble the moment it became public. You don't announce stuff like that until it is a done deal.

Mouth too big. Ears too small. And that shouldn't be news to anyone.

Another article: https://money.cnn.com/2018/09/27/technology/elon-musk-sec/index.html?adkey=bn

"The Securities and Exchange Commission sued Tesla's CEO on Thursday for making "false and misleading" statements to investors. It's asking a federal judge to prevent Musk from serving as an officer or a director of a public company, among other penalties."

That means he would have to exit Tesla and all its affiliated companies.

Investors will file lawsuits (if they haven't already) and Musk won't have a leg to stand on in his defense. That will be expensive.

Ouch.

Who pays out those investors who file lawsuits and prevail? Tesla the corporation isn't exactly rolling in cash ... which means ... it will come from shareholders, somehow.

I am quite content with never having had any financial stake in TSLA, neither long nor short nor via options. Too hot to handle. I missed the run-up ... and I will miss whatever comes from this mess.

Another article: https://money.cnn.com/2018/09/27/technology/elon-musk-sec/index.html?adkey=bn

"The Securities and Exchange Commission sued Tesla's CEO on Thursday for making "false and misleading" statements to investors. It's asking a federal judge to prevent Musk from serving as an officer or a director of a public company, among other penalties."

That means he would have to exit Tesla and all its affiliated companies.

Investors will file lawsuits (if they haven't already) and Musk won't have a leg to stand on in his defense. That will be expensive.

Ouch.

Who pays out those investors who file lawsuits and prevail? Tesla the corporation isn't exactly rolling in cash ... which means ... it will come from shareholders, somehow.

I am quite content with never having had any financial stake in TSLA, neither long nor short nor via options. Too hot to handle. I missed the run-up ... and I will miss whatever comes from this mess.

This is an interesting case where the individual may have more available equity than the corporation. There is the possibility that Musk loses his fortune (and all control of the current companies) and has to start again.

Shares down 10% now in after hours.

Wonder if Trumpy will weigh in with any nuggets of wisdom.

If the stock totally tanks in the coming days/weeks/months and it the smell of death is in the air, I wonder if Apple May swoop in. They do have a few trillion or something just sitting around collecting dust, after all, and they seem to quietly have EV aspirations of their own.

Would be interesting.

This one's for that honda employee:

https://www.engadget.com/2018/10/03/honda-gm-cruise-investment-autonomous-vehicles/

"Honda chose to collaborate with Cruise and General Motors based on their leadership in autonomous and electric vehicle technology and our shared vision of a zero-emissions and zero-collision world,"

Don't kid yourself, those Japanese are shrewd. Notice they just have a small share and will play a small roll, they just want access to GMs factories instead of building their own. GM benefits by gaining access to superior engineering design and efficiency which their products badly need. GM hasn't made a decent small car in years, starting with the Chevette, J bodies, and current garbage.

Don't kid yourself, those Japanese are shrewd. Notice they just have a small share and will play a small roll, they just want access to GMs factories instead of building their own. GM benefits by gaining access to superior engineering design and efficiency which their products badly need. GM hasn't made a decent small car in years, starting with the Chevette, J bodies, and current garbage.
What year is it on your calendar?

I surpassed 10,000KM on my current tank of gas.

Will post photo later.

Bumper still firmly attached.

I surpassed 10,000KM on my current tank of gas.

Will post photo later.

Bumper still firmly attached.

I saw a Model 3 pulled over on the shoulder of the 427 this morning and the first thing I checked was whether he had a bumper. It's still funny.

LOL

Honda already has enough manufacturing capacity, they don't need GM's. Honda does not have the self driving vehicle know how nor the resources to do it alone (it's doubtful if anyone really does). GM gets a cost sharing partner, Honda gets access to something that they could not do themselves.

So, here's the 10,000KM on a tank of gas details:

volt10K - 2.jpg

I actually ended up at 10,179KM in the end. For the last 3000KM or so I only had 5L of gas actually left in the car, and that was OK, but a sequence of events on Friday meant I used about 3L of it as I drove about 150KM that day - 100KM of it electric (only 10KM or so of which I actually paid for, the rest was free public charging or at work) and 50KM on gas.

That triggered bells and whistles as the car started to get concerned that not only was the battery dead, but I was low on gas.

volt10K - 1.jpg

I could have made it home no problem, charged up, and probably added another 1K in electric KM's before I would really have needed gas again, but meh, I knew that with the temps decreasing I was soon going to start needing gas on a semi-regular basis again for the winter, so I gassed up for the first time since April 8th.

Here's the final stats from my fuel economy tracking app on my phone.

volt10K - 3.jpg

0.3L/100KM, or for the non metric inclined, 784MPG.

Moving forward for the winter months I expect to be in the range of 3000-4000KM per tank of gas until next summer when there's a virtual certainty I'll have another 10,000KM tank. It really wasn't that hard.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom