Amber alert | Page 8 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Amber alert

I'm curious - so far - have all these alerts been about kids that ran away or were 'abducted' by their biological parent?

I think the alert is aimed at the one person that may have seen something worth noting. As inconvenient as the calls are, if one kid is saved from harms way, the calls are worth it.
Posting an alert with no useful details means they still don't get it. Since the alerts are coming out 8+ hours after the kid goes missing, do you think that anyone that knows the kid doesn't already know they are missing? If you are looking for a vehicle with make/model/plate, your argument makes sense.

Edit:
Last nights alert: "Victim: Grace Deck (F-2 years old). Suspect: David Cave (M-27 years old) Last Seen: City of Barrie."

Utter crap. No times, no specific location (eg. oh, I was at that park yesterday afternoon, did I see a kid and dad?), nothing useful for people unless they personally knew one of the participants already.

Edit 2:
Here's the followup news story from this morning. Including some of the known details in the amber alert could have moved it from theatre to useful imo.

According to Barrie police, the child had last been seen with a 27-year-old man on Monday afternoon in the Lampman Lane Park area.

The Amber Alert was issued just before 2 a.m.

Last edited:
I think the alert is aimed at the one person that may have seen something worth noting. As inconvenient as the calls are, if one kid is saved from harms way, the calls are worth it.
The one person that has seen something worth noting, is part of the population that is still reading Amber Alerts at 1:50AM, but was distant enough from the situation to not already know about it or have contacted the police earlier

I would be very interested to see analytics on this wireless public alerting program - maybe this whole discussion is irrelevant, and the government already knows that it objectively doesn't do anything

For some reason my phone decided that I wasn't woken up enough and kept giving reminders for a couple of hours until I was awake enough to just shut the whole thing off. While I sympathize with the victims, the chances of me finding them in my bedroom at 3 a.m. is nil.

For some reason my phone decided that I wasn't woken up enough and kept giving reminders for a couple of hours until I was awake enough to just shut the whole thing off. While I sympathize with the victims, the chances of me finding them in my bedroom at 3 a.m. is nil.
New phone also lets you turn off reminders. Once is more than enough. My old work phone with reminder going off every 10 minutes basically forced you to find the phone and smash it.

the abuse of the alert system (forcing these alerts to be the highest possible priority) is going to kill people when there is a serious natural disaster or nuclear leak

before the pathetic response to covid this was a huge indicator to me that we simply don't have competence in government. I don't mean that in the usual griping way, I mean literally you have to be totally incompetent to let idealism and emotion "omg think of the missing kids! these alerts are as important as nuclear war!" overrun the implementation of it.

New phone also lets you turn off reminders. Once is more than enough. My old work phone with reminder going off every 10 minutes basically forced you to find the phone and smash it.
I just now found the setting and turned it off. I felt bad about it, until I realized that they couldn't even be bothered to add a description.

Personally I’d like to see wider use of the alert system.

Lost contact lenses, glasses, keys…..I lost an umbrella in Quebec City last week….do you know how quickly I could have gotten that back if there was an amber alert in Brampton?
Ya. Didn't Ozzy lose something a long time ago?

Ya. Didn't Ozzy lose something a long time ago?
* Ozzie. Harriet was involved too. I think it was a Christmas gift in episode 78.

With this thing where they can come and get you to do a breathalyser at home, do they need a warrant to enter?

That would be included in in the court order you would have surely signed as a condition of the program.
'Same for people on parole/probation...
Spot checks are written into the orders.

If the one last night was any more vague it would have been in Morse Code.

Abduction stop Barrie stop man stop child stop

Another steaming turd of emergency alerts. It is shocking how poor they are.

"Peel Regional Police are investigating a Active Shooter - Armed and Dangerous. Suspect vehicle is a stolen vehicle. If seen, do not approach. Call 911 immediately."

wtf is that? I am an hour from Peel, they don't give an approximate location, they don't give a time, they don't give any description of the vehicle or suspect I am not supposed to approach (other than stolen but unless it's a taxi with the blinky light I don't know how that is at all useful). Complete garbage once again. Embarassing.

EDIT:
Dig around a bit and you can find something. This information would have been very easy and important to included in the damned emergency message.

USPECT INFORMATION​

Suspect Name:Shawn PetryAge:30Gender:MaleDescription:Male Black

VEHICLE INFORMATION​

Make:JeepModel:CherokeeYear:2018Colour:GreyLicense Plate:CLMZ 905

EDIT 2:
Here's the event. Colour of stolen vehicle is different than the alert page. Awesomesauce. A TPS officer has unfortunately died :(

Peel police said one person has been rushed to a trauma centre following a double shooting which occurred in Mississauga, in the area of Argentia Road and Winston Churchill Boulevard, around 2:15 p.m.

“We currently have 2 people shot and one has been transported to trauma (centre),” police said in a tweet.

Police said that they are searching for a suspect described as a black male with a thin build and black hair who was wearing all black with a yellow construction vest.

He is armed and dangerous and police said that it is “imperative” that anyone who spots the suspect or his vehicle call 911 immediately.

The suspect vehicle is described as a black jeep Cherokee with licence plate # CLMZ 905.

Halton police said they are investigating another shooting which occurred at a plaza at Main Street and Bronte Street around 2:50 p.m.

Both forces say they are looking for the same suspect driving a stolen black Jeep Cherokee with the licence plate CLMZ 905.

Halton police said they were looking for the same vehicle sought in the Mississauga shooting. It was last seen near Appleby Line and Hwy. 407.

Last edited:
Another steaming turd of emergency alerts. It is shocking how poor they are.

"Peel Regional Police are investigating a Active Shooter - Armed and Dangerous. Suspect vehicle is a stolen vehicle. If seen, do not approach. Call 911 immediately."

wtf is that? I am an hour from Peel, they don't give an approximate location, they don't give a time, they don't give any description of the vehicle or suspect I am not supposed to approach (other than stolen but unless it's a taxi with the blinky light I don't know how that is at all useful). Complete garbage once again. Embarassing.

EDIT:
Dig around a bit and you can find something. This information would have been very easy and important to included in the damned emergency message.

USPECT INFORMATION​

Suspect Name:Shawn PetryAge:30Gender:MaleDescription:Male Black

VEHICLE INFORMATION​

Make:JeepModel:CherokeeYear:2018Colour:GreyLicense Plate:CLMZ 905

EDIT 2:
Here's the event. Colour of stolen vehicle is different than the alert page. Awesomesauce. A TPS officer has unfortunately died :(

Peel regional police say they are searching for an “active shooter” after two people were shot in Mississauga on Monday afternoon.

Police say one person was rushed to a trauma centre after shots were fired in the Argentia Road and Winston Churchill Boulevard area of Mississauga. Police said there’s a second victim, but no details were provided.

Both forces say they are looking for the same suspect driving a stolen black Jeep Cherokee with the licence plate CLMZ 905.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen an amber alert with a useful amount of detail. I bet 99.99% of people ignore them which is unfortunate.

My mother-in-law is in the 0.01% category as she just phoned me asking where we all are and were we safe and why her daughter wasn’t answering her texts and phone calls .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t think I’ve ever seen an amber alert with a useful amount of detail. I bet 99.99% of people ignore them which is unfortunate.

My mother-in-law is in the 0.01% category as she just phoned me asking where we all are and were we safe and why her daughter wasn’t answering her texts and phone calls .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The worse they are and the more frequent they are, the less people pay attention. The system has been in place for a long time. They need to have a head to toe ass-kicking of everyone involved. Send geographically relevant reports with useful information so people get used to paying attention. Very few alerts that I have seen were geographically relevant and most were devoid of information. Tornado alerts seem to work reasonably well (unless they are late) but everything else is awful.

Last edited:
The worse they are and the more frequent they are, the less people pay attention. The system has been in place for a long time. They need to have a head to toe ass-kicking of everyone involved. Send geographically relevant reports with useful information so people get used to paying attention. Very few alerts that I have seen were geographically relevant and most were void of information. Tornado alerts seem to work reasonably well (unless they are late) but everything else is awful.
Too much information might violate a bad guy's rights.

Back to the latest Amber...

If you see a person who looks armed and dangerous driving a stolen car in Peel Region, call 911. Got it?

Back
Top Bottom