Amber alert | Page 7 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Amber alert

Just gonna post this here for no reason in particular

BTW I dunno about the rest of you but I've already been completely conditioned to not read them at all anymore when they wake me up

BTW I dunno about the rest of you but I've already been completely conditioned to not read them at all anymore when they wake me up

I've had a few in the last couple of days. One in Quebec, one this morning. I ignore them but that’s mainly because I’d be more inclined to do something if it was a missing dog. Toddlers all look the same to me.

Had one at 01:50 last night. At least it was local. A second one minutes later in french is a complete &*^%*&^%&*^%*&^%&^%*&. Also had almost no useful information. Kids name and age. No last seen location, no vehicle, no possible destination, no description. I don't know about others, but I rarely know the names of random kids. If the kid was someone I know, I assume the parent would have lit up every available contact to get the word out to their circle.

Had one at 01:50 last night. At least it was local. A second one minutes later in french is a complete &*^%*&^%&*^%*&^%&^%*&. Also had almost no useful information. Kids name and age. No last seen location, no vehicle, no possible destination, no description. I don't know about others, but I rarely know the names of random kids. If the kid was someone I know, I assume the parent would have lit up every available contact to get the word out to their circle.

I'm psychic….I can look at a kid and go…yep that’s Kevin.

New phones you can change the behaviour. You get to pick what happens with each type of amber alert (eg. off, silent, vib, noise, etc). I may switch to weather gets noise and everything else shows up but silent.

I'm psychic….I can look at a kid and go…yep that’s Kevin.
Kinda creepy
Just sayin'...

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I wish you could opt out or set a radius. The chance of a stranger coming down my rural dead end street off a dead end street is slim and none, once you factor slim out of the equation.

New phones you can change the behaviour. You get to pick what happens with each type of amber alert (eg. off, silent, vib, noise, etc). I may switch to weather gets noise and everything else shows up but silent.
Does this actually work for anybody? AFAIK the vast majority of phones are not able to block presidential alerts by design

In the US they actually use the multiple levels appropriately, and the phone controls work to opt out of the ones you don't want to hear. But Canada's adoption of the system apparently only uses the highest 'presidential' alert type for everything, which you can't opt out of. A 'presidential' alert is intended for national-level events like nuclear or biological attacks... not missing children.

FEMA (US) has FIVE different types of alerts:
- Presidential (national emergency)
- Imminent Threat (tornado)
- Amber
- Public Safety message
- Opt-in Test Message

In the US they actually use the multiple levels appropriately, and the phone controls work to opt out of the ones you don't want to hear. But Canada's adoption of the system apparently only uses the highest 'presidential' alert type for everything, which you can't opt out of. A 'presidential' alert is intended for national-level events like nuclear or biological attacks... not missing children.

- Amber
- Public Safety message
- Opt-in Test Message
S20 FE lets me turn on/off Extreme/severe/amber/test. Amber is now off on my work phone as it is normally not near the bed so I have to go stumbling through the house to find it and shut it up.

- Amber
- Public Safety message
- Opt-in Test Message

You can disable this via adb shell command:

pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.android.cellbroadcastreceiver

Neither my phone or my fiancee's went off yesterday. Still think it's ridiculous somebody thought this was a good idea.

S20 FE lets me turn on/off Extreme/severe/amber/test. Amber is now off on my work phone as it is normally not near the bed so I have to go stumbling through the house to find it and shut it up.
My phone lets me disable the lower levels too (because Android assumes everyone lives in the states), but the controls don't work because Canada is sending out everything at the presidential level. Fortunately, 'do not disturb' actually works on my phone. It doesn't work on some of the other devices in my house though

You can disable this via adb shell command:

pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.android.cellbroadcastreceiver

Neither my phone or my fiancee's went off yesterday. Still think it's ridiculous somebody thought this was a good idea.
Kid was missing yesterday afternoon. Lit up all the phones at 01:50. To me, it makes a hell of a lot more sense to get it out both faster and when most people are awake. Waking up 100K+ people with a statement that is useless to 100K+ people seems dumb. If it was an emergency, send it out earlier. If it's not an emergency, send it out after 06:30 or so.

I think the alert is aimed at the one person that may have seen something worth noting. As inconvenient as the calls are, if one kid is saved from harms way, the calls are worth it.

Back
Top Bottom