2023 Ural Gear Up | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

2023 Ural Gear Up

Just curious as the chassis/frame and bodywork are still made in Irbit Russia (included with "20% of the content") and shipped to Kazakhstan, that is according to the CEO. It is common in automotive for the WMI to be based on the location of final assembly not where the chassis is made so it makes sense it is MX.
Ok. Not sure what your point is. Or the source of your information

Ok. Not sure what your point is. Or the source of your information
Source.... The CEO Ilya Khait is the source, he has said in multiple interviews in 2022 that final assembly was moved (or moving depending on the date) to Petropavlovsk, Kazakhstan and 80% of the content is foreign/non-Russian anyways (ie 20% is Russian, to be fair he never says 20% Russian, just 80% non-Russian). He says he had to move because sanctions prevented him from getting the required foreign parts and of course the majority of his market is outside of Russia (all makes sense if they want to stay in business). He also said specifically that frames and body work will continue to come from the "Irbit facility"--again may have been cagey as he does not say Irbit Russia specifically in this context, just "Irbit" in the interviews I have read, but Irbit Russia was the old factory so I think a leap of faith can be made here.

All this was posted with quotes and proof in that other thread that it looks like a moderator deleted? Seems to have disappeared, not sure what happened there as it was not fake news etc.. Russian interviews, foreign interviews, etc. as they did a big press run for obvious reasons so it is well documented.

For additional context, Petropavlovsk is just across the border, for the area a relatively main transportation/shipping route:

1686838295078.png

Source.... The CEO Ilya Khait is the source, he has said in multiple interviews in 2022 that final assembly was moved (or moving depending on the date) to Petropavlovsk, Kazakhstan and 80% of the content is foreign/non-Russian anyways (ie 20% is Russian, to be fair he never says 20% Russian, just 80% non-Russian). He says he had to move because sanctions prevented him from getting the required foreign parts and of course the majority of his market is outside of Russia (all makes sense if they want to stay in business). He also said specifically that frames and body work will continue to come from the "Irbit facility"--again may have been cagey as he does not say Irbit Russia specifically in this context, just "Irbit" in the interviews I have read, but Irbit Russia was the old factory so I think a leap of faith can be made here.

All this was posted with quotes and proof in that other thread that it looks like a moderator deleted? Seems to have disappeared, not sure what happened there as it was not fake news etc.. Russian interviews, foreign interviews, etc. as they did a big press run for obvious reasons so it is well documented.

For additional context, Petropavlovsk is just across the border, for the area a relatively main transportation/shipping route:

View attachment 61580
Bottom line is.... Ural motorcycles does not support the Russians in the Ukraine conflict in my opinion.
The deletion of the other thread was because of insults being tossed around.

Bottom line is.... Ural motorcycles does not support the Russians in the Ukraine conflict in my opinion.
The deletion of the other thread was because of insults being tossed around.
I get it... but frames and body work and 20% (one fifth BTW) are what they are, numbers but they result in money going to....

I have not seen him come out strongly for or against the war (is there an article I missed that can be shared where he does?) which to be fair I guess could be interrupted as against with less risk of falling out of a window. Most interviews go like this, the ones in Russian maybe even softer tone on the war. The content is usually business focussed, moved banking in preperation, moved assmbly so we can get parts, etc....we are doing what we need to do to stay in business.

As noted, frames and body work still made in Irbit, Russia (as per the CEO) as with 20% of the content (well 80% foreign, math is math), final assembly to the new factory and located in a position to allow for easy delivery of Russian content. To be fair body and frames are likely the hardest production to move. For motorcycle manufacturing assembly is the easier comparably. From the interview:

"the plan is progressing at full speed. We are setting up assembly facilities in Petropavlovsk, Kazakhstan, about 600kms (373 miles) southeast of Irbit. The factory in Irbit will continue manufacturing frames and body parts. Motorcycles will be assembled and shipped from Kazakhstan to our customers around the world."

"in the last ten years, we’ve put a lot of work into outsourcing the highest quality components. Our strategy was to discontinue our own manufacturing of the parts for the powertrain as well as several other key components. Today, Ural is 80 percent made of parts we purchase from suppliers around the world. This prepared us for and simplifies the current task of moving the assembly. We essentially are changing the address for shipping these components to another location. That’s what makes it feasible to assemble bikes in this new scenario."

Everyone is allowed an opinion. But I don't think Wingboy's choice of motorcycle is making any impact on any government of any country.
If this is the debate, perhaps we should look at every Japanese bike, BMW's and any Italian bike. Remember WW2...
For the record I am not stating we should debate any such topic, just pointing out that perhaps we have more important things to worry about..

Really no need for politics to enter into every conversation and thread.
I 100% agree to this, also never need to *shame anyone for what they purchase with their money.
*Not saying it happened, just a reminder.

Last edited:
I have been reluctant to add to my review because the Ural has been beating me up. It was pulling very hard to the right which is something that i heard was just part of the experience. Maybe it's just because I'm 70 that my wrists and shoulders hurt so much after 200km.
Not wanting to dive into the sidecar geometry adjustments too quickly, i checked the little things first. Tire pressures were way off. Front was 36, sidecar was 28 and rear tire was 32.
Front is now 32, sidecar is now 34 and rear is 36.
Huge difference! And on someone's advice i raised the preload on the sidecar shock to max, and it's a totally different bike. (i mean rig)
Very happy.

View attachment 61818
Well my daughter watches Geckos Garage and granny’s Ural sidecar rig is always breaking down so you should definitely keep an eye on that thing.
Oh great. Now you've got me scared. Heading out to the forks this morning. I'll make sure i have my CAA card. Lol

I have been reluctant to add to my review because the Ural has been beating me up. It was pulling very hard to the right which is something that i heard was just part of the experience. Maybe it's just because I'm 70 that my wrists and shoulders hurt so much after 200km.
Not wanting to dive into the sidecar geometry adjustments too quickly, i checked the little things first. Tire pressures were way off. Front was 36, sidecar was 28 and rear tire was 32.
Front is now 32, sidecar is now 34 and rear is 36.
Huge difference! And on someone's advice i raised the preload on the sidecar shock to max, and it's a totally different bike. (i mean rig)
Very happy.
is this bike more physically demanding because of weight, or because of something else like seating position and overall comfort?

It's plenty comfortable. The rider is constantly fighting the battle between bike and sidecar. They don't always want to go in the same direction.

It's plenty comfortable. The rider is constantly fighting the battle between bike and sidecar. They don't always want to go in the same direction.
You can't easily drop the sidecar right? This is a three wheeler only? Not that you would really want to, a ural would not be my favorite two-wheeler.

Back
Top Bottom