2023 Day Trips! | Page 15 | GTAMotorcycle.com

2023 Day Trips!

@Baggsy where are you based on the trip? Have been in this area several times over the years but always on my way down to Asheville. Etc.
Have you been over to 58 to Shady Valley and the snake?
We're ar 3937 Gratton road, just west of the 623 entrance to Burke's Garden.

We tried to do something called the Moonshiner A Hatfield & McCoy ride today. Basically, Tazewell to War, Pineville, Gilbert, Gilbert Creek, Panther, Bradshaw, Richlands, Pounding Mill, back to Tazewell. Some of it was great, some was damn scary. Gilbert Creek Rd, Four Pole Rd, Panther Mohawk Rd and maybe part of 97, were not so nice.

Here's the rear view of the truck running us off the road. Skip to 2:20.

Last edited:
We're ar 3937 Gratton road, just west of the 623 entrance to Burke's Garden.
As @STARSHIP mentioned, the ride up to Appalachia is quite nice. Here's a route we did from Lebanon, Virginia through Appalachia to Cumberland, Kentucky and then back to Lebanon.

A nice ride from where you are is also heading northeast towards Mountain Lake and then choose your own way back:

And lastly, this is a super nice ride: 3937 Gratton Rd to Gratton where you can pass through what is the world's shortest highway tunnel called Backbone Rock - a former railroad tunnel, on your way to the Shady Valley Country Store to fill up on some ethanol free gas and get some stickers and grub. Denton Valley Road is a really nice ride as is the Jeb Bush Highway US#58.

Last edited:
Went out for what will likely be the last ride of the season on Friday. A meander through Warkworth, Campbellford, Hastings, Norwood, and stopping for a coffee and treat in Havelock before turning south to Brighton then home along the lakeshore and a couple summer access roads.

Actually I had 2 treats. While in the bakery a familiar looking gentleman sidled up to point out that my chain looked a bit dry and that I might benefit from a Scottoiler.

As I chatted with him I realized it was Max Burns, my all-time FAVORITE moto-journalist! It's not often that one gets to say thank you to someone who gave you so much enjoyment over so many years.

A nice way to cap off the riding season.

Went out for what will likely be the last ride of the season on Friday. A meander through Warkworth, Campbellford, Hastings, Norwood, and stopping for a coffee and treat in Havelock before turning south to Brighton then home along the lakeshore and a couple summer access roads.

Actually I had 2 treats. While in the bakery a familiar looking gentleman sidled up to point out that my chain looked a bit dry and that I might benefit from a Scottoiler.

As I chatted with him I realized it was Max Burns, my all-time FAVORITE moto-journalist! It's not often that one gets to say thank you to someone who gave you so much enjoyment over so many years.

A nice way to cap off the riding season.
I was wondering what Max is doing. Met him years ago when I picked up his book and he signed it for me at a bike show. Real cool guy! Wow!

Went out exploring the gravel roads in the Kilgorie area this past Saturday. Still lots of colours to be seen.
EYfEBIE.jpg

anafFQL.jpg

mgbxPrL.jpg

XyVaDtC.jpg

WWdXJl7.jpg

hW4UYfX.jpg

h0tCfcB.jpg

U1du16t.jpg
This is really making me think about my camera set up. These are amazing.

What do you use? I know I can't afford @sburns stuff.

Im more interested in how he managed to upload them, and how GTAM didnt explode from more than 1mb size pictures.

Upload to an image hosting site, then insert the link here.
The problem with that is you end up with a whole lot of dead links when the hosting site is no longer active or get rid of free accounts.
One of the great things about forums is the vast amount of information stored in them. I have many tutorial posts on other sites that are now useless because pics were hosted on free hosting sites.
If the pic is hosted locally, it lives for the lifetime of the forum. If the forum dies, it doesn't really matter if the pic goes with it.
Backup link to high res..... different story, but keep a copy hosted locally.

The problem with that is you end up with a whole lot of dead links when the hosting site is no longer active or get rid of free accounts.
One of the great things about forums is the vast amount of information stored in them. I have many tutorial posts on other sites that are now useless because pics were hosted on free hosting sites.
If the pic is hosted locally, it lives for the lifetime of the forum. If the forum dies, it doesn't really matter if the pic goes with it.

Fair enough; we've all experienced that.

What about the GTAM app? Unlike Tapatalk or a browser, I've not encountered any upload limits.

I’ve had a paid account with SmugMug for many years. No dead links and doesn’t cost much.

I use Flickr. The first 1000 pics are free to upload and manage. Original size 50MB files directly from Lightroom can be easily uploaded. Then you add the link here.

Post 1000, the pro account is a few dollars a month. But I am yet to extinguish my free limit - I have had the Flickr account for 8 years.

I use Flickr. The first 1000 pics are free to upload and manage. Original size 50MB files directly from Lightroom can be easily uploaded. Then you add the link here.

Post 1000, the pro account is a few dollars a month. But I am yet to extinguish my free limit - I have had the Flickr account for 8 years.

Yeah, and Photo Bucket promised they'd be free forever, too.

Had a wonderful week of day trips from Tazewell last week. We trailered two days down from Ottawa to a house we rented from Sat - Sat and then trailered two days back. The weather couldn't have been much better or the roads much curvier. Just got back today. Now I have to decide on new tyres now, or in the Spring.

Last edited:

Thanks Soulcatcher. I've finally upgraded to a full frame camera this year after shooting with cropped sensor DSLRs for over 20 years. I'm currently using a Sony A7II (much more affordable now that this model is a few years old) with a Sony 85mm F1.8 lens as my main set up. I also use a Tamron 20mm F2.8 for wide angle.
A lot of articles I've read say the most people do not notice the difference in image quality between APS-C sensors vs Full frame but after my experience, that's complete BS. There is a massive difference in image quality in my opinion.

I typically use Adobe Lightroom for editing as well as Photoshop Express on my phone.

For hosting, imgur is where I moved to after photobucket started charging.

Thanks Soulcatcher. I've finally upgraded to a full frame camera this year after shooting with cropped sensor DSLRs for over 20 years. I'm currently using a Sony A7II (much more affordable now that this model is a few years old) with a Sony 85mm F1.8 lens as my main set up. I also use a Tamron 20mm F2.8 for wide angle.
A lot of articles I've read say the most people do not notice the difference in image quality between APS-C sensors vs Full frame but after my experience, that's complete BS. There is a massive difference in image quality in my opinion.

I typically use Adobe Lightroom for editing as well as Photoshop Express on my phone.

For hosting, imgur is where I moved to after photobucket started charging.
I had the same impression going from cropped sensor to full frame, what you gained was a lot more then what people expressed. Not only that all the shots were easier to take or achieve certain results with FF camera. But having said that most people viewing the photos wouldn't know the difference unless they knew what they were looking at beyond the content itself. Sony's are good, I know a few people who shoot with them. They really pioneered the mirrorless. I'm all Canon myself. No mirrorless yet, that's going to be expensive to replace all the gear with new stuff.

For me I don't use any hosting services. I just rez down/compress with PS to fit the fourm's limitations and upload using desktop computer. Unless it's photo tag then it's iphone tapatalk. I just use iphone built in editing when I need to do that on mobile. Not often.

Not sure if I posted this here before.
This was from my trip to the Ottawa/QC region in Sept of this year

Love the plane in the background and statue on the left.

1699323536450.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom