2015 SOAR Rulebook including Ontario & Quebec Championship Point Structure | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

2015 SOAR Rulebook including Ontario & Quebec Championship Point Structure

No your wrong, Marcel's guy use the free pass, and mine was 25 and my friends was 25 for the weekend

That's what they are saying...racer gets one free pass for a crew member...

That's the first I've ever heard of GB allowing a crew pass......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ya I've paid for the one person I bring each time too!

Where's my pitchfork?!!!!

I can only comment on us. SOAR does not control nor receive the gate therefore I am not in any position to offer any passes. CSBK does not pay for track rentals, purse ,ambulances, marshals, staff rooms and food, even camera scaffolding etc. The money that they charge you as racers goes to CSBK to use for their "expenses" . The meat of their hard costs are picked up by the track/promoter so I can only imagine that they negotiate the free passes in their contract with the promoter (track). This is a good reason why they are running out of tracks to race other than Mosport where are there enough spectators to pay for the costs? The theory is they bring the "big" show and the lucky track/promoters get to sell the hell out of tickets to cover all these costs and hopefully profit a little. We all know how this is working out. In a perfect world you guys would get a free pass or three and entry fees would be $25/rider but economics do not hold that up sorry. I can tell you one thing for sure I have taken exactly ZERO dollars out of SOAR in six seasons. Riders bare a big cost to race , agreed. But trust me my numbers are far scarier with many more zeros and tracks take my numbers and add even more zeros. As for RACE you will have to talk to them, the same man owns both the series as well as the track so I cant speak to that.

Yeah that's kinda of what I was thinking is that the track is charging and not the series.
But even for the track to promote their events maybe a lower fee, or if they are charging then maybe integrate some activities into the weekend making it worth it for "non racers" to pay.
I wonder if there were also a way to get vendors involved and attending race weekends and spectators could shop or get "race weekend deals" and that might encourage attendance.

I am good with whatever it takes to keep roadracing going.
yep I agree.
guess it lands on all of us to spread the word as much as possible and try to get more people to come out and see what it's all about.
didn't realize it's as "bad" and some are saying, thought numbers were rising; and the two series working together is very exciting stuff.

Considering how much I spend per weekend(which is a lot lower than a lot of people), the $25 or whatever it is to bring a crew member/family member is a non issue for me. GBM has done a lot to support the series so I have no problem supporting them. Consider the number of races you get to see as a spectator it is a bargain.

+1. My budget is very limited but $25 for a guest is never going to make it or break it for me. That's like 1/16 of a set of tires.

If you had a family of 4 though it could put a strain on the budget.

I'll just smuggle them in.

Interestingly enough, if we're talking about spectators, why not ask the spectator?

In my opinion, I agree that the current spectating cost is on the highside. As a racer, it may only represent a small part of my weekend budget to bring my wife or a friend, but if we want to grow the sport, others are going to have to want to come on their own. Besides the current lack of mainstream marketing, the high cost of admission for someone who is not sure if they will even enjoy the event is likely a contributing factor to the low attendance. Couple that with the driving distance (most of my circles are in the GTA, so transportation (time/cost) is a factor, too), and that is a formula for what we are seeing today - low attendance.

I'd love to bring out more of my friends/family to the show, but I can't afford to pay for them all (none of us are rich) - and my weekend budget is damn low (I'm averaging around 5-600 for a weekend), even when I can afford to come out. And we are going to want families to come, young, old, everyone - because it's fun! But if the obstacles to attending are too big, they just won't show.

So yes, the racing orgs don't control this cost factor either, so the question is what can be done to get the tracks/promoters to effectively entice spectators to attend? I can't say that I have any answers, but I think that a lower cost of entry is certainly one piece of the puzzle.

$25/day is too much? Why don't your friends pay for themselves?

People fascinate me. $20ish to watch a 2 hour 3D movie is perfectly acceptable but $25 to enjoy a day outside in the sunshine (ideally) watching 14 motorcycle races and walking the pits is too much?

$25/day is too much? Why don't your friends pay for themselves?

People fascinate me. $20ish to watch a 2 hour 3D movie is perfectly acceptable but $25 to enjoy a day outside in the sunshine (ideally) watching 14 motorcycle races and walking the pits is too much?

Yeah, I get being incredulous from your perspective, but think about it differently - if you don't know what you're getting out of an entertainment event, are you willing to risk it? And the entry fee is not the only cost (transportation/time, etc).

Going to a movie is a known thing - you know what to expect. For the average joe/jane, they likely have no clue what to expect at a racetrack and the 'risk' of wasted time/money can be an obstacle to attendance. It isn't a mainstream event anymore, and so we have to think that way to figure out how to change that perception. That's all I'm saying.

(And for the record, yeah, $20 for a 3D movie is too much for me, personally - it doesn't meet my cost/value bar so I haven't gone to the theater in a few years).

Back
Top Bottom