2015 SOAR Rulebook including Ontario & Quebec Championship Point Structure | Page 7 | GTAMotorcycle.com

2015 SOAR Rulebook including Ontario & Quebec Championship Point Structure

Back to the original point issue. With the points based and biased to those who participate (aka just finish), the championships will have much less value than before. I hope this will bring more people out but with this system but it will make me show up less. If there is no championship to chase then there is no reason to push. and thats what racing is suppose to be about. My style and many others style (hornblower, card) means that we will crash in some races. playing it safe is not the way I want to race and Im sure its not what people want to watch, if people even come to watch. my 2 cents.

The new combined series final is quite exciting and should help with some nice sized grids. This was designed to help improve number of competitors with the big combined final. The Nationals are a completely separate series.
Also if your concern is crashing; everyone also has that concern and the new system actually works to your advantage. If you crash out at SOAR you can actually go to RACE and make up the lost points.

Yeah, but when we get biotched at because we're not racers, and the only reason we are there is to make the practice day financially feasible... it really dampens the spirits. I know of 2 groups of people who were completely turned off and cancelled their plans for separate endurance teams because of this.
So, either let track day only guys come and don't *****, or take the financial lumps and have it be racers only.

Trackday guys and racers are the same by the way. Don't know why anyone would complain about either. I've seen some trackday guys that are fast and should be winning races but just haven't tried it. For the most part if you come to the races you will meet some extremely nice people, so much so that you will consider them family.
I've seen guys racing to win the championship and fixing their main competitors bike after a crash to get them back out there even though in a points battle with that person for the championship. So many are willing to help you with tips for your riding or with your bike.

You run it and I'm sure the track will entertain it,,BUT guarantee SOAR has no personal to do it, and the track has no extra staff either. But knowing how things work with the track and it's big drag venues,,, they would listen to any proposal.Pretty sure RACE would too.

Wonder if there are folks out there that would be interested in volunteering. Perhaps a small committee can be formed to plan an event and approach the track to see if they will allow it. Put something exciting together to draw out both new competitors or just spectators that have interest in racing and want to see the live action (let me tell you there is nothing like it).

Last edited:
Dricked - to clarify my point... everyone agrees that it would be great to see larger grids lining up. Where are these people going to come from? The track day riding community.

I personally have been to 2 race practice days (and a good friend of mine, also here on the forum) attended another. All 3 days began with a rant about how it would be so much better if track day guys weren't there, how it should really be racers only. (Since then, I have sent $0 towards that organization, and chances are, never will again.)

It's precisely this that made 2 teams of riders (7 guys in total) walk away from the idea of racing.

Now I'm not saying to kiss track rider's @ss's or anything like that, but treat them with a mutual respect. Without them, the practice days are a financial hardship, or nigh impossible from what I've heard.

I think your referring to ken, he does say that in his riders meeting. The reason why is this- trackday guys in the past have always gone into fast group , the complain that the passing is to aggressive and people are "dive bombing" me ect ect and ken got sick of the complaining, that's what that fuss is all about.
There is NO Way you can say you weren't welcomed in the pits because like Newman said, it's a great group of people to be with for the weekend

There is NO Way you can say you weren't welcomed in the pits because like Newman said, it's a great group of people to be with for the weekend

Never once did I say it was the riders that turned us off. I know several people who race (or have raced) and they are indeed great fellows. But when the organization makes it blatantly clear that you are not welcome at their events, but your wallet is -- that's where the problem lies.

On that note, I've said enough. Everyone who's read this thread gets my point.

The new combined series final is quite exciting and should help with some nice sized grids. This was designed to help improve number of competitors with the big combined final. The Nationals are a completely separate series.
Also if your concern is crashing; everyone also has that concern and the new system actually works to your advantage. If you crash out at SOAR you can actually go to RACE and make up the lost points.

Im pretty sure that ken explained it to me that you could go to another series and earn points towards the final but Im pretty sure that you can not go to RACE and get point that count towards a SOAR championship. If you could clear this up kneedragger it would be helpfull. And I never said anything about the nationals at all. I know that CSBK have nothing to do with this.

Secondly, Im not worried about crashing...It's a near certainty that the way I ride that at some point during the season I will cash. losing 40 points and a championship to someone who hasnt won a race because I crashed doesnt seem right.

I remember Ken saying that the combined class with RACE and hence the combined points was a one time shot last year, I am sure he will clarify but from everything I have been told and read you can only to go the other series to get points for the final but not towards the club championship.
Im pretty sure that ken explained it to me that you could go to another series and earn points towards the final but Im pretty sure that you can not go to RACE and get point that count towards a SOAR championship. If you could clear this up kneedragger it would be helpfull. And I never said anything about the nationals at all. I know that CSBK have nothing to do with this.

Secondly, Im not worried about crashing...It's a near certainty that the way I ride that at some point during the season I will cash. losing 40 points and a championship to someone who hasnt won a race because I crashed doesnt seem right.

That's true you can only go over and earn points toward the "magic number" for the runoff

Crashing out does not equal zero points. You'd have to have a grid of 30 guys to have a DNF and not score points. A DNS on the other hand could potentially ruin a championship. So don't crash on Saturday.

Actually, myself and snipes 20 crashed in the final round and scored 0 points on a small grid as we failed to complete 1 lap and get scored.
Crashing out does not equal zero points. You'd have to have a grid of 30 guys to have a DNF and not score points. A DNS on the other hand could potentially ruin a championship. So don't crash on Saturday.

Actually, myself and snipes 20 crashed in the final round and scored 0 points on a small grid as we failed to complete 1 lap and get scored.

I have also had a DNF zero pointer, fuel pump **** the bed on lap 1.

What's that saying? Oh ya, "you can't win the race in the first lap but you can sure as hell loose it".

You can lose a whole championship on the first lap of one race! Snap a throttle cable on your warm up lap? That's happened.. almost cost someone a championship, would have cost them a championship under the new points structure.

Whatevz. Maybe it will all work out great and we'll see some bigger grids and great racing.

Maybe I misunderstood, but I though one of the advantages of the new points structure (not that it matters to me, I doubt I'll be battling for points) was that if you did have a "mishap" at your home series, you have one opportunity to race at the other series and make back the lost/DNF points?
Isn't that better for those that have raised concerns they are worried about losing their championship from a DNF? You make up the points at the other series and then back in the running for the big final.

Those make-up points only count towards the magic number required to make it to the Big Final. They won't count towards your SOAR or RACE championship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There also many racing series that allow you to drop your worst race result. You could even put a caveat in there that you can only drop a race that you gridded(or paid for) for.

There are also some series that cut the earned points in half at mid season to keep championships exciting to the last race of the season.

Well....

http://www.soaracing.ca/html/news.html

02/13/2015This just in!
SOAR will be hosting the first ever Ontario and Quebec Championship Runoffs.
This will be held at Grand Bend Motorplex on October 2-4. This is in conjunction with the annual SOAR Thanksgiving Pot Luck Feast so I guess we better pick up some extra turkeys.
This decision was made between RACE and SOAR as we already had a sixth round booked early in October and felt that this would prove to be the best chance for good weather for the finals. This means that the SOAR Superbike Series is now a five round series.
Riders accumulating 95 championship points will be invited to compete against the best from Ontario and Quebec in a one race runoff - winner take all championship. This is a new era in motorcycle road racing in Canada and hope to see a great turnout as we crown new champions and enjoy our traditional year end celebration.
Ken McAdam

SOAR Director

So no round 6 ? I would have thought we would have time to fit in the extra races no?

I just think we would have so many more people there if round 6 was still a go

Correct, no round 6.

Here's what I hope will happen. I hope that the 95 point cutoff is flexible, I hope that later this season the points standings will be examined and invitations will be sent out to ensure there are bigger grids with good riders. You don't want to dilute the Ontario Quebec championship but you also want to make sure there are decent grids.

I guess we'll see.

I was only planning on doing the two reverse rounds with SOAR this year, so I'll have to pick another round I guess (not Long Track though).

Back
Top Bottom