2015 Demo Days | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

2015 Demo Days

IMG_20150502_153817.jpg

Tried an R3 this weekend. At another dealer, they complained about how cheap the R3s were and how the dealer overhead was the lowest on any bike...which is kinda saying the R3 is a good value, ...maybe a Kawasaki dealer shouldn't point that out?

Anywhooo...side by side with the Ninja, the R3 is different, slightly better. Much more mid-range, better brakes and suspension, although the rear sits too low. These bikes are designed to get the lowest seat height possible for the target demographic. I peaked under the seat and there are no links on the shock, so the only way to increase height (after sag is set with preload) is to buy a longer, or adjustable shock. Ohlins already makes one, but it won't be cheap. Forks are fine. Brakes are meh, but they do this on purpose on these bikes to prevent locking. Pads might make all the difference. I like the R3 engine over the others in this class. We didn't go through any real corners to judge the tires, but they are bias plys and need replacing (this should be an option on new bikes). Getting to 120 wasn't hard and would likely be fine on the highway.
So for five grand, Yamaha put the money in the engine, skimped elsewhere. Already I've seen that the clipons can be mounted below the top clamps and still clear the body work. I would have preferred if Yamaha make it cost slightly more that the Ninja 300 and given a better bike.

The factory option sliders are total joke, you can bend them with your hands, and the blue-silver paint is no good, it's matt silver and was scuffed up in just 1100kms on the demo bike. For some reason, the red-white and blue-silver bikes are $100 more than black (which had a higher quality finish).

Yamaha went for the price point, but if it were me, I would have made it a 350, better brakes and suspension, branded it an RD350 with racing livery and targeted the RC390. People will mod the poo out of this bike, already the aftermarket is buzzing with stuff and track guys are looking at the new small classes in Motoamerica and WSBK. I hope the KTM 390 sells well to convince Japan that people will pay more for nicer small bikes, especially since the 5-year insurance savings are huge.

Found this blog where they are building a track bike:

http://www.yamahar3racing.com/

I tried the Yammy FZ-07 and FZ-09 at VOS this Sunday. Fun bikes, the FZ-09 is an animal, that engine is fantastic. Contrary to all the internet reviews, I did not find the throttle bad at all, in fact it was better than FZ-07 (I know they fixed the map for 2015). Suspension better on the 09 as well, but still crap. I know, I am spoiled by my Daytona. Both bikes felt a bit disconnected, again, maybe I am used to SS. I jumped on my Daytona right after putting the kickstand down on the FZ-09 and the bike was "talking to me"...

I know, I am comparing apples to oranges. Both FZ-07 and FZ-09 are fantastic bikes for the price, I enjoyed the 09 much more, contrary to my expectations...

Rode the gladius sfv 650 at BPS during the demo ride this weekend. Having only been on Honda bikes, I was very impressed. The bike had great pick up and seemed super light. It was easy to ride and really liked to lean in the twisties! The throttle was very responsive and it was easy to get up to speed. The nakedness of the bike was nice and I didn't find the wind an issue, even at 100kms/hr. The shorter height and wheelbase made it a fun ride. Just might be my next bike. I wanna hit a few other demo rides to be sure though. Maybe take one out for a bit longer ride. Staff at BPS and the SUZUKI reps were nice too!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I tried the Yammy FZ-07 and FZ-09 at VOS this Sunday. Fun bikes, the FZ-09 is an animal, that engine is fantastic. Contrary to all the internet reviews, I did not find the throttle bad at all, in fact it was better than FZ-07 (I know they fixed the map for 2015). Suspension better on the 09 as well, but still crap. I know, I am spoiled by my Daytona. Both bikes felt a bit disconnected, again, maybe I am used to SS. I jumped on my Daytona right after putting the kickstand down on the FZ-09 and the bike was "talking to me"...

I know, I am comparing apples to oranges. Both FZ-07 and FZ-09 are fantastic bikes for the price, I enjoyed the 09 much more, contrary to my expectations...

VOS does demo days? is it still going on

VOS does demo days? is it still going on
Yes, they are a Yamaha dealer. The demo was on May 3rd so no, it's not still on. I asked them once if I could take the fz07 for a ride and they declined, saying they do not allow test rides, so they directed me to this demo day, that's how I knew.

Yes, they are a Yamaha dealer. The demo was on May 3rd so no, it's not still on. I asked them once if I could take the fz07 for a ride and they declined, saying they do not allow test rides, so they directed me to this demo day, that's how I knew.

Insurance rules for most shops are restrictive on test rides. Any dealer can pay Yamaha to show up with a demo fleet and handle the insurance.
But not all dealers pay for them to show up.

Whenever I took bikes for test rides I had to sign a waiver that if I break it I buy it.

is there a KTM demo ride?

June 9 @ ready
Ooh no way. I'm in for that. Ducati next weekend too.. Did Honda today at BPS, and Yamaha yesterday @ Snowcity. Good times. Pictures to follow.

I did the H-D demo at Longley's in Peterborough yesterday. The H-D system sure is well tuned and they were really getting riders through. Short rain delay to start so we could jump in on any ride that wasn't full as turnout was slow to start. Thumbs up to the dealership to build a brand new building and invest in the M/C community, looks like a good operation.

IMG_20150508_130726.jpg

IMG_20150509_094152.jpg

I rode the new R3 @ Yamaha, NC750X, CBR650F, and the Valkyrie @ Honda. Valkyrie is definitely top 3, possibly my favorite bike out of the dozen++ new bikes I've ridden in the last month or so. That was a huge surprise. R3 was nice for what it is- bit of a ball less wonder, but a pleasant surprise non the less- I certainly was not disappointed. I can't wait for the next Yamaha day to try out the FZ09. I'm also really looking forward to Ducati this weekend. Anyone know if its pre-registered?

June 9 @ ready
More information?

Great day on May 8th at Larry's Small Engine up in Mono.
The organization both by Suzuki and the dealer was top notch, had a BBQ going, drinks and of course great lineup of bikes.
The same crows stuck for the most of the day, I was able to ride three bikes in a span of three hours.

1) Hayabusa
2) M109R
3) GSXR1000

In short, the Busa was a clear winner for me. It had insane amount of go (comparing to my SV1000), but at the same time was easily manageable. What was also surprising is how quite it was while cruising at 90-100.
I was hoping to really like the M109R as I dig the looks and would not mind making the switch to a "cruiser" bike for the long haul rides to be that much more comfortable. Unfortunately it didn't do it for me, it was quick off the line, probably faster than my SV. What I really hated is the transmission and how clunky it was, it was not bad in the corners, but less more confidence inspiring that the other two (although we are comparing apples to oranges) The GSXR was stupid fast as expected, and oh so much fun to throw around, the only issue was the comfort and the fact that for 30 minutes after the ride I had that carpel tunnel buzz feeling in my hands.

Here are a few pics of the bikes that I took.

Another props to the dealer and Suzuki for making the experience that much better.

http://imgur.com/a/qzfBW#0

I missed the Yamaha power tour and I'm not sure I'll be able to make the following dates... There aren't anymore listed past July 11. Is there any chance that there will be more dates closer to the Richmond Hill area?

I was hoping to really like the M109R as I dig the looks and would not mind making the switch to a "cruiser" bike for the long haul rides to be that much more comfortable. Unfortunately it didn't do it for me, it was quick off the line, probably faster than my SV. What I really hated is the transmission and how clunky it was, it was not bad in the corners,...

Another props to the dealer and Suzuki for making the experience that much better.

http://imgur.com/a/qzfBW#0

I went to Clares after work Friday for the Suzuki demo ride,I have a Hayabusa now, thinking about maybe a M109 for the future, as a morecivilized bike. I wasunder-whelmed. The Bike is ok, just likeyou said tranny is clunky, and really I felt it lacked the bottom end grunt Iwas expecting. Not tossing it outentirely for a future option, but any other options would need to be reallypoor to move it back up the list of future candidates

Maybe the Hayabusa has just skewed my perspective of grunt,fast and quick.

Ooh no way. I'm in for that. Ducati next weekend too.. Did Honda today at BPS, and Yamaha yesterday @ Snowcity. Good times. Pictures to follow.
Just so everyone is aware

Ducati requires full M ...21 years of age and a credit card deposit of $2500 if something happens to the bike

dealer for their specific event details.

Ducati Experience Tour

May

Maranello Moto Sport*|*Toronto, ON*|*5/15 - 5/17

Peninsula Import Ducati*|*Oakville, ON*|*5/22 - 5/24

Apex Cycle Sports*|*Cambridge, ON*|*6/26 - 6/27

July

GP Bikes*|*Whitby, ON*|*7/3 - 7/4

RSVP is a must

Last edited:
I went to the Oakville Yamaha demo this past Saturday. It was already pretty busy by the time I got there (10am) so I didn't get out on a bike until ride #5. Rode the R3, it was OK.

Just wanted to give a big thanks to the owner of Oakville Yamaha. Apparently he has to pay for the demo tour (as in, pay Yamaha to bring their Power Tour to his dealership). He also bought every single person there a combo from A&W for lunch, which was very generous of him. I got to chat with him a bit and he was very nice. Big thanks to him for a great day!

Back
Top Bottom