Yamaha. WTF !! | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Yamaha. WTF !!

Opinions on ABS are irrelevant. Offer a bike with and a bike without ABS like Kawi does with the Ninja 300. Then both sides are happy instead of losing their **** like religious freaks.

Or with the option to disable it, as many bikes seem to permit.

op here. yes i mainly started this to air my disappointment at Yamaha. I really wanted to get an FZ07 with abs and had
high hopes for 2016. I have written to Yamaha several times asking for them to offer it like in other markets. Still hoping they
come out with an FJ07 as i expect that would have abs like its big brother the FJ09. I could get the 09 but that puts me in the next
tier for insurance here. (401cc to 750cc for one tier and 751 and up for next) Too much money for the 751+ insurance tier.

as an example. my Smax scooter is in the 101 to 400cc tier. costs 500 for the year. The CBR500R is in the 401 to 750cc tier and that costs
about 1000 for a year.

I would love for them to just do like all the others do (Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki) for abs. Give a choice. Or even as mentioned give option to turn it off. I think many bikes come
with different power settings (like rain mode) just add one more setting to abs on / abs off. I think Triumph does that with the Triples.

op here. yes i mainly started this to air my disappointment at Yamaha. I really wanted to get an FZ07 with abs and had
high hopes for 2016. I have written to Yamaha several times asking for them to offer it like in other markets. Still hoping they
come out with an FJ07 as i expect that would have abs like its big brother the FJ09. I could get the 09 but that puts me in the next
tier for insurance here. (401cc to 750cc for one tier and 751 and up for next) Too much money for the 751+ insurance tier.

as an example. my Smax scooter is in the 101 to 400cc tier. costs 500 for the year. The CBR500R is in the 401 to 750cc tier and that costs
about 1000 for a year.

I would love for them to just do like all the others do (Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki) for abs. Give a choice. Or even as mentioned give option to turn it off. I think many bikes come
with different power settings (like rain mode) just add one more setting to abs on / abs off. I think Triumph does that with the Triples.

Pretty sure Triumph has ABS on everything now. KTM even has ABS on the 690 Enduro now.... Which you can completely disable with a push of a button, or buy an off-road dongle to disable the rear while keeping the front ABS working.

I leave ABS on for most stuff. Some of the larger bikes even have variable ABS modes for off-road.

Like I said previously, ABS can be downright scary off-road though. You can get into situations where the bike just won't stop (which probably doesn't apply to people in this thread) not too many off-road capable bikes with ABS at the moment.

For a road bike... I'm kinda scratching my head trying to think of a situation where disabling the ABS would be beneficial. Not sure why you would need to skid the tires on the highway...?

Or with the option to disable it, as many bikes seem to permit.
I thought most ABS equipped bikes did not have the option to disable. I've heard of various hacks to trick the system into thinking there was an ABS malfunction (effectively disabling it), or pulling the fuze, but the only bikes I'm aware of with the designed ability to disable ABS are a few big ADV bikes.

I thought most ABS equipped bikes did not have the option to disable. I've heard of various hacks to trick the system into thinking there was an ABS malfunction (effectively disabling it), or pulling the fuze, but the only bikes I'm aware of with the designed ability to disable ABS are a few big ADV bikes.

In doing a little quick research I'm seeing that we might be looking at laws (in the EU) that require ABS, which means switching it off may no longer be possible even on those bikes that do permit it, via something like a startup diagnostic mode.

I have a few bikes none of them have abs. I have been riding for 26 years never had abs. If you need abs you are riding beyond your abilities and conditions.

I have been riding for for 44 years. When I was younger. I had abs. I lost then for a fee years when I had kids. But I now have abs again. Yeah!!!!
I have a few bikes none of them have abs. I have been riding for 26 years never had abs. If you need abs you are riding beyond your abilities and conditions.

I hope I will never HAVE to ride a bike with ABS or Traction control.
I hate them both.
I have a 2008 Corolla without any driver aids, except for mirror control. I drove, off and on, my wife's 2007 AWD Rav4 with ALL the bells and whistles for about 8 months. And keep in mind that we actually have winter up here. My car could probably stop faster than her's in winter. I've lost count of how many stops signs I blew because the f'ing ABS wouldn't engage the brakes as fast as I would like. I could drive for half a block with the peddle just vibrating while it didn't try to stop. And that is from only 40kmph.
No thanks. I think that I would like to keep 100% control of my own vehicle, thank you very much.
this guy

I hate them both.
I have a 2008 Corolla without any driver aids, except for mirror control. I drove, off and on, my wife's 2007 AWD Rav4 with ALL the bells and whistles for about 8 months. And keep in mind that we actually have winter up here. My car could probably stop faster than her's in winter. I've lost count of how many stops signs I blew because the f'ing ABS wouldn't engage the brakes as fast as I would like. I could drive for half a block with the peddle just vibrating while it didn't try to stop. And that is from only 40kmph.
No thanks. I think that I would like to keep 100% control of my own vehicle, thank you very much.

One of us would benefit from learning a thing or two about dynamic and static friction.

But that's none of my business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure if all the BMW models let you turn them off, but all the GS's I have owned had the option, pretty sure the loaner models I get when I bring my bike in for service had the option to turn it off as well.

Not sure what the other brands do, guessing it is probably just a feature for the adventure class bikes. With my new BMW GSA there is different ride modes and with that comes different ABS. In Enduro pro mode it keeps ABS on the front and the rear has no ABS.

I hate them both.

Depends on the car, I find. ABS on my 2001 Jetta worked great. Just ram the peddle and it will stop as fast as possible. On my 2009 WRX if the ABS engaged it meant the thing was never going to stop. Of course once you simply start braking properly (not engaging ABS all the time) it makes no difference. Having done a skid control class the difference between ABS and no ABS in an emergency situation where you are also trying to steer is night and day and the effect on a bike is even more dramatic when it comes to safety.

That said, none of my vehicles have ABS. One car doesn't even have airbags. But I don't really consider safety features when I buy a vehicle but if I were in a market for a bike and I had the choice between the same model with or without ABS, I'd get it. Makes rain and severe cold weather (winter) riding much safer.

Depends on the car, I find. ABS on my 2001 Jetta worked great. Just ram the peddle and it will stop as fast as possible. On my 2009 WRX if the ABS engaged it meant the thing was never going to stop. Of course once you simply start braking properly (not engaging ABS all the time) it makes no difference. Having done a skid control class the difference between ABS and no ABS in an emergency situation where you are also trying to steer is night and day and the effect on a bike is even more dramatic when it comes to safety.

That said, none of my vehicles have ABS. One car doesn't even have airbags. But I don't really consider safety features when I buy a vehicle but if I were in a market for a bike and I had the choice between the same model with or without ABS, I'd get it. Makes rain and severe cold weather (winter) riding much safer.

Strange on your 2009 WRX not stopping as well with ABS....

I agree with the cold weather riding sentiment. I was riding my 690 Enduro at around 3-4C and the ABS came on when I didn't even expect it. Granted I was on knobbies and there was a light frosting. Needless to say, knobbies don't stop very fast around freezing......... :lmao:

In those kind of conditions I highly doubt I could even come close to the ABS stopping distance without a lot of drama.

Last edited:
Strange on your 2009 WRX not stopping as well with ABS....

I agree with the cold weather riding sentiment. I was riding my 690 Enduro at around 3-4C and the ABS came on when I didn't even expect it. Granted I was on knobbies and there was a light frosting. Needless to say, knobbies don't stop very fast around freezing......... :lmao:

In those kind of conditions I highly doubt I could even come close to the ABS stopping distance without a lot of drama.
Yeah I dunno what was up with the ABS system on that thing. The winter tires I put on it came off a 97 Saab 900se and that car's ABS seemed to work better, too, or at least I don't remember any of the sliding the WRX had a few times before I figured out the ABS was junk.

FZ09 is not a beginners bike, i own one and I can tell you the think is a beast, plus add some shacky suspension and it is a beginners nightmare but the most fun thing I have put my leg over in the street.
As an industry insider, I find it interesting to see the debate ongoing about ABS. 10 years ago, you'd be pushed to find 1 person in 9 that wanted ABS (North American statistic). 5 years ago, that had changed to approx. 3 in 9. Today, that request is at about 50/50. Yamaha has moved with the times, as evidenced by its market share today. They are totally aware of the trend change, but they are also very aware of the NA reluctance to pay for the system. Some models are extremely price conscious such as R3, FZ07 and FZ09 and because they have been brought to market hitting the right price, they are selling extremely well. That is good for all of us, because it improves the health of the sport in a market that is "volatile" (thanks "Kiwi") and tiny. Those of you that think an ABS can "just be added", are living in a dream world. A major change to a model like that is financial suicide unless it is a change demanded south of our border too. By the way, Starship, FZ-09 is not in any way aimed at the beginner market. Not sure which planet you determined such information but it was not that little blue one that I call home. Ride safe every body.

Agree with this, I used TC in the rain against a Pro rider that didn't have it and I finished ahead, in no other situation would I ever finish ahead of that rider and the only variable was the TC, I certainly didn't become that much faster out of the blue.

Can you name such a situation in which the technology can't help because the user never learnt proper technique and skills, because of that technology? I can't think of any, off the top of my head. ABS/TCS can't really help you in a corner because of the lateral forces (though I'm reliably told that with modern systems even that is debatable), but then again it doesn't interfere with learning how to properly deal with a corner. Running off and ending up in sand/grass? More likely to help you stay upright, if you know how to use it. Something else?

I would say that ABS/TCS will out perform 99% of street riders, regardless of their self perceived skill levels, in perfect conditions. As we all know, conditions are rarely perfect. Perhaps in your case you wouldn't have had to rely on luck to save you. And that's what it likely was, rather than skill. Been there myself more than once though thankfully not in some years, thanks to toning down my riding style.

I think that the following is the most telling. When BMW first brought their TCS equipped bikes to the Parts Canada Superbike series Mike Ferreira used it, but Francis Martin had it turned off. Ferreira was riding as well if ever, if not better. Martin was riding well, but not as well as I've seen him, as he came to terms with the new bike. By mid season the TCS was turned back on. I've watched Francis ride for more than a decade. I've been taught by him at FAST. I'll take his word on TCS, as I really doubt that there are many, if any riders on this site who can match him.

Back
Top Bottom