blackberry 10 | Page 74 | GTAMotorcycle.com

blackberry 10

I agree with you there, there were some issues with naming the new OS, originally it was supposed to be BBX, or BlackBerry X. Trademarks/copyrights were an issue.

So they went from their previous legacy naming (BlackBerry 4.0, 5.0, 6.0, 7.0) and jumped straight to BlackBerry 10.

Android still uses food afaik (kit kat, key lime pie, honeycomb, etc) for code names and releases 4.1, 4.4, etc.

I know apple used German tanks for their OSX line (panther, mountain lion, etc) with releases. Not sure if there's anything for iOS.

Either way, the best of all of this is BlackBerry finally have 1 OS for all devices, that all get updated at the same time. The carrier is still the hold up in North America. Apple from day 1 bypassed the carrier for OS updates and for the most part has been a good thing.

Actually they were named after large cats, including cheetah, puma, Jaguar, leopard.

Actually they were named after large cats, including cheetah, puma, Jaguar, leopard.
Cool. I always connected with the tanks because the names lined up too.

wtf is Chen smoking now? How about if he wants apps for his devices, make it profitable for developers and they will come to him.

http://technology.canoe.ca/Mobile/News/2015/01/26/22201126-wenn-story.html

The chief executive of BlackBerry has penned an open letter to members of U.S. Congress saying app creators should be required to make their software compatible for BlackBerry devices.

John Chen wants "net neutrality," where all Internet-based companies have a fair shot at the market.

"Unfortunately, not all content and applications providers have embraced openness and neutrality," Chen wrote. "Unlike BlackBerry, which allows iPhone users to download and use our BBM service, Apple does not allow BlackBerry or Android users to download Apple’s iMessage messaging service ... iPhone and Android users are able to access far more content and applications than customers using devices running other operating systems. These are precisely the sort of discriminatory practices that neutrality advocates have criticized..." adding that app makers should be "mandated" to cover all platforms and devices.

wtf is Chen smoking now? How about if he wants apps for his devices, make it profitable for developers and they will come to him.

http://technology.canoe.ca/Mobile/News/2015/01/26/22201126-wenn-story.html

The chief executive of BlackBerry has penned an open letter to members of U.S. Congress saying app creators should be required to make their software compatible for BlackBerry devices.

John Chen wants "net neutrality," where all Internet-based companies have a fair shot at the market.

"Unfortunately, not all content and applications providers have embraced openness and neutrality," Chen wrote. "Unlike BlackBerry, which allows iPhone users to download and use our BBM service, Apple does not allow BlackBerry or Android users to download Apple’s iMessage messaging service ... iPhone and Android users are able to access far more content and applications than customers using devices running other operating systems. These are precisely the sort of discriminatory practices that neutrality advocates have criticized..." adding that app makers should be "mandated" to cover all platforms and devices.

wow! what a lame and dumb sounding position
I thought we lived in a capitalist society.
If he was Apple's CEO he would be saying the consumers decide what they want.
We make our products and you make yours, the market will decide.

they should mandate that all damn laptops use the same power connectors the same as phones
that reduces the impact on the environment and promotes sustainable electronics

wow! what a lame and dumb sounding position
I thought we lived in a capitalist society.
If he was Apple's CEO he would be saying the consumers decide what they want.
We make our products and you make yours, the market will decide.

they should mandate that all damn laptops use the same power connectors the same as phones
that reduces the impact on the environment and promotes sustainable electronics
Actually, the EU mandated all new mobile phone devices use a standard USB connector for charging.

As for Chen's comments, yeah they're a little out there, but there is a point in there. Certain companies have outright blocked access to BlackBerry devices, even by third parties.

People were up in arms when IE was forced down your throat with every Windows installation. Things change. No one is saying open everything to everyone, but also don't go out of your way to block someone, when they make legitimate efforts (i.e native Netflix and Skype applications).

Don't read too much into his comments. If anything, they're enjoying all of the free publicity.

Their focus is to go after the enterprise (security) market and be the infrastructure backend for the IoT (internet of things). Blackberry as they were a few years ago is no more, and they will never be what they once were. I can see them no longer making phones within the next few years. They'll probably work out a way to license the OS to other hardware makers.

Can't beat 'em, join em. Makes sense for them to join with a company that produces the better technology, producing the gold standard in security.

Samsung did the same thing, for their swiss cheese KNOX 'security' software.

If Apple can swallow its pride, they'd partner with them too. iOS sure ain't secure.

I can see them no longer making phones within the next few years.

Just recently, Verizon and AT T started selling BB again. They even went and redesigned the Passport exclusively for AT T. Apparently they are in talks with Tmobile too after having their fallout.

This is important for BB as they are virtually dead in the US. Next few quarters will be interesting to see if they have a spike in handset sales.....

Last edited:
Since we are on the subject, for you guys running 10.2 still on your Z10, Q10, Z30s...

10.3.1 is rolling out. watch for it...

Huge update with lots of new features. If you spend a lot of time on desktop, laptop, or tablet regardless of mainstream OS...... you will especially appreciate BB Blend.

amazon appstore comes preloaded so you have access to all kinds of android apps as well. (side loading Snap is still better though.)

Been using 10.3 for almost a week
Blend seems pretty neat. Battery life seems better

Downloaded it on Sunday. My update was 1.6 GB. Works quite well; this is what BB10 should have been two years ago at roll-out.

Downloaded it on Sunday. My update was 1.6 GB. Works quite well; this is what BB10 should have been two years ago at roll-out.

Not that proficient with computers, need help with BB10.

Have an issue with the BB10.3; Amazon Appstore application comes pre-installed. I don't allow applications unlimited access to my device. If the application doesn't allow me to tailor the access I delete it. The problem with this application is that I can't limit the access that it has to my device and I can't seem to able to change the access and I can't seem to able to delete it. What are my options in this situation?

Have an issue with the BB10.3; Amazon Appstore application comes pre-installed. I don't allow applications unlimited access to my device. If the application doesn't allow me to tailor the access I delete it. The problem with this application is that I can't limit the access that it has to my device and I can't seem to able to change the access and I can't seem to able to delete it. What are my options in this situation?

Don't be so paranoid?

That's the world of Android apps. All or nothing when it comes to permissions.

Your saving grace running it on a BB device is that it runs the Android App inside of a sandbox (an isolated environment that simulates an android device) allowing for the app to run. So even if some permissions are enabled, they're restricted to within the confines of the sandbox. There are some exceptions and functionality on some apps is limited as a result of this.

With native applications, you can pick and choose what level of permissions, per APP, you allow. There is an OK selection of Native applications for the most popular android equivalents, but not all apps are available.

Back
Top Bottom