Your best and worst trackday? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Your best and worst trackday?

Wingboy

Site Supporter
When, where, what and who?

Best track day was a low stress day on July 1st holiday at St Eustache on small bikes with my 2 boys

Worst day involved 0 flying laps on an oiled track with burning bikes and scattered impacted straight-away bikes where I finally convinced myself to try 1 more session and ended the day being whacked at the top of T2 at the big CTMP track.

I am fortunate that my worst day example does not involve a crash or injuries.

Last edited:
Best day(s) - finishing Nelson Ledges 24 Hours

Worst day - falling off, landing on my face, and separating my sternum coming off the banking onto the infield at Daytona when it started to rain.

Best- when I finally had a bike that worked for more than 10 laps. And the crowd of Racer cheered for me for actually finishing a race

Worst- having a bike that consistantly blew or broke. In 2016 I managed 13 laps in 6 rounds

I only have "worse" days....
My least favorite in recent memory: Last track day of the year at Cayuga, early October. Mostly new bike, was looking to get a base line... new motor, re valved forks, a brand of tires I have never rode on before.
I was second bike on the track, about 9:15AM, I went into corner one DEAD SLOW, new tires, dewy track... AND I'M SLIDING ON MY FACE.
Seems the FIRST bike on the track, was a 250 2 stroke, came down from London on an open trailer, without the exhaust plugged and had a full tank, when he left London, so that full tank got sucked through the carbs and was in the belly pan... so when he went into corner one that 2 gallons of pre-mix got splashed onto the wet track, right in my path. THANKS.
I was pretty sure I had broke my collarbone AGAIN, but being the idiot that I am, not wanting to miss the last track day, I went back to the pits to put my bike back together. While I am trying to get back out, the TARD comes over to ask if I can help tune HIS bike.
As it turned out I didn't have a broken collarbone, I had just ripped ALL the muscles in my shoulder, AGAIN.
or:
Same bike at VRRA Mosport Vintage Fest., racing "Middle Weight Production". Dave Crussel and I were trading places back and forth. He would get me in 1-2-3 and then I would motor him on the straight. We did that for 3 or 4 laps. I got him coming out of 3 and was going to lose him after 5... till I went into the rhubarb in 5... OOPS. Came around the front to see the last lap flag. Time to lay on the coal... Chased him, caught him coming into 8, was on his tail at 9, I'm gonna stuff him in 10... WHACK THE THROTTLE OPEN... squeaked it. Gotta love two strokes! I went through 3 motors that weekend.
or:
At another VRRA Vintage Fest. I was racing a buddie's Gus Kuhn Norton (1970 Norton Factory racer) and as I crested the "bump" it tore the output shaft out of the tranny, dumping a quart of REALLY slippery (I pay EXTRA for the slippery stuff) gear lube on the back tire.
I woke up in the parking lot, tied up in a chain link fence, trying to figure out what just happened.
or:
At Shannonville for the VRRA Spring Fling. I was on a Yamaha TR3, a REALLY rare Yamaha production racer. It was raining and I was having the time of my life, coming down the front straight and hanging it out right sideways going into 1, like on a dirt tracker.
I came down the straight, hang it out, just like the many laps before, BUT THIS TIME it's the old SKY TRACK SKY TRACK SKY GRASS OUCH.
Scrape myself and what's left of my bike up and get off the track. while I'm dragging myself off the track I notice there is a THING on the track in front of me.
It turns out that THING was the stator off an EX500, that came off a bike... and it dumped it's oil... because the stator is supposed to be in the cases. How does the stator come OUT of an EX500??
Buddy with the EX500 thought it was funny. I totaled a 50 year old REALLY RARE production racer because he's an idiot that doesn't know how to prep a bike and has no business being on a race track, and he thought that was funny.

Not a "trackday" per se. My first race ever with OO, I finished the enduro just shy of eight hours racing with only two "gas breaks".
There were so many bikes out there from all classes that i had no idea where I finished.
First and only race I ever took a first place trophy.
Physically spent but on top of the world, best and worst "trackday" ever.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk
082d2d08e613ca42f573f68a37537168.jpg

Last edited:
Blah blah blah, I'm gonna steal yer girlfriend!

Lost 30 lbs, come here and say that!

Old guys, geez!

Best - most days at Bogie

Worst - novice race at SMP a few years ago. Day 1 of a double header, I high sided on the last corner trying to regain 3rd place. My wife showed up just an hour before that to spend the weekend and cheer me on / help me out in the pits, but ended up helping me pack the trailer and drive right back home.

Good times ...

My first race bike was a Kawi EX500, which was basically rubbish. First race weekend on my then-almost-new FZR400 was at Grattan, and Lightweight Superbike was a big class back then. There was lots of traffic ... I passed some ... checkered flag ... at the end of pit lane, I started turning left into the paddock, and the official frantically pointed at me and motioned to go the other way towards parc ferme. I finished third without even knowing it. Seems that a lot of the traffic towards the end were lapped riders.

I split a ride to a double track day at Barber many years back. First day was for learning the track. Second day it was raining. Well, I'm not driving 20 hours there and 20 hours back to not ride, so out I went. Some riders from (if I remember right) Sport Rider were there, trying out some Triumphs. Mitch Boehm went out first on a then-new 675, then a couple of 600s, then me on my 400, and a few riders behind me ... most people skipped the session. I outbraked the two 600s on the brakes going down the hill into T5 and was behind Mitch going up the hill through T6. Great, he's going to out-motor me, which he did, but he was on a street bike with all the street equipment, and I saw where his brake light came on going down the hill into the T7 esses, and thought, "I can do that". And I snuck up the inside in T8 (in front of the museum). Then the race was on. He had more motor, I had better tires, and we passed each other back and forth several times over the next few laps. I tried to go up the inside in T14-14a, but he saw me in his mirrors and slammed the door. Next lap, I tried it again, but this time he had a big feet-off-the-pegs slide, and I got by. The next lap was the last lap. That was the most fun I've ever had in a rain ride.

Seems that Mitch previously had a FZR400 race bike ... he knew what I had ...

Worst? Breaking stuff - either bike, or myself.

Best was a Shannonville day (one of their own) and only a handful of riders showed up and all were good experienced guys (I think it was calling for rain so no one came out but it ended up being perfect weather all day). They ran an "Open" day so everyone got in a LOT of laps and there were no incidents all day. Just a great day, with a great group, in perfect weather.

I could say my worst was at Mosport's old RDT as it was the only time I've ever crashed but it was a rather minimal damage lowside and the day was still great.

Destroyed my bike turn 2 at Mosport, a few years later Claudio Corti was my next door neighbor at a track day. Spent the whole weekend being his personal cigarette vending machine, real nice guy.

Best was making my first pass in red group ever stick at Mosport RDT.
Worst, crashing twice at SMP 4a on the same day. I hate that corner. I really do.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom