Would dealership moving plates to new bike render old bike unfit or just fit+unplated? Want to re-plate. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Would dealership moving plates to new bike render old bike unfit or just fit+unplated? Want to re-plate.

Martytoof

Hi all! To preface, I realize the Ministry is where I should be asking this, and that’s on my to-do list, just wanted to feel out to see if anyone has run through this process before.

In 2019 I bought a Ninja 650 to replace my Ninja 250. My insurance company changed my policy to only cover the new bike and the dealership took care of moving my plates over as well. As such my 250 has been sitting in my garage unplanted and in limbo for the past year. I didn’t bother getting my ownership updated for one reason or another, so the last documentation I have on the little bike still shows as plated.

I’d like to get the little bike back on the road, just to have something smaller and lighter that I can practice maneuvers on without real worry about dropping, but I’m not really sure what I can expect the process to be now. If the plates were transferred would the little bike have been downgraded back to unfit unplated, or could I reasonably expect the bike to be in fit but unplated status? I don’t know why it would suddenly default back to unfit but the ministry works in mysterious ways.

I’m planning on re-insuring in the next few weeks and I’ll go down to Ministry to get updated registration and plate it at the same time once some of the COVID restrictions ease up a little more, but I guess I’m just feeling out what you guys think I can expect their attitude towards its current status to be? If I can avoid having to go through the trouble of getting another $70-100 safety inspection all the better.

I believe you only need a safety if the vehicle itself is changing names, replacing the plate with a new one shouldn't be a factor.

Having said that, if it sat for a year then I would still get it inspected to ensure everything is still in good order.

As long as the bike ownership hasn't changed, it will remain fit, just unplated. You can get new plates for the bike with the existing ownership, you will need proof of insurance to sticker it.

Yup. Another one that makes you scratch your head. A vehicle can be off the road for decades and as long as it is the original owner, you can just buy a plate (or sticker) and go for a spin with no oversight.

Worth shelling out for a second ride just to practice?
650s aren't really that heavy and should be fairly easy to throw around. If its your main bike then I would suggest you should be practicing on it anyways.
I avoid the ministry like the plague, its never worth it to go there even for important stuff. ?

Unless he knows he is likely to drop the bike while practicing, and doesn't want to risk the shiny new 2019..lol

Worth shelling out for a second ride just to practice?
650s aren't really that heavy and should be fairly easy to throw around. If its your main bike then I would suggest you should be practicing on it anyways.
I avoid the ministry like the plague, its never worth it to go there even for important stuff. ?

Thanks all! Sounds like I should be good to just hit the ministry with insurance and go from there.

And yeah, this is strictly a calculation of how aggressively I want to practice on a shiny new bike. Insurance on a beat up 250 for a couple of months is way cheaper than replacing a frame slider and mirror if I drop. Heck, the whole 250 is probably worth less than the cost of replacing one or two scratched fairings. It’s a no brainer to me :)

Thanks all! Sounds like I should be good to just hit the ministry with insurance and go from there.

And yeah, this is strictly a calculation of how aggressively I want to practice on a shiny new bike. Insurance on a beat up 250 for a couple of months is way cheaper than replacing a frame slider and mirror if I drop. Heck, the whole 250 is probably worth less than the cost of replacing one or two scratched fairings. It’s a no brainer to me :)
If you are only planning on insuring the 250 for a short time, read up on minimum retained premium. Since you are picking expensive months it may not matter, but better to know than get a shock when you cancel.

don't you have to do a title search in there somewhere?
scratch that

250's are a blast

Last edited:
If you are only planning on insuring the 250 for a short time, read up on minimum retained premium. Since you are picking expensive months it may not matter, but better to know than get a shock when you cancel.

Great catch, thank you! Even at 12 months it’s still not an outrageous sum, still well under the price to replace plastic on the 650, which is how I measure all training costs now ;)

I’m also in Hamilton and planning on taking the GO to Toronto once things get back to normal. I’ll definitely feel a lot better leaving the 250 in the parking lot for eight to ten hours a day so it’ll probably stay insured. Plus it’s just a fun little machine to ride around on in addition to the 650.

Thanks!

Nothing wrong with a little 250 to play around with. Had one as my downtown commuter bike back in the day. Shared the garage with a couple 750s that did sport and touring duty. Depending on the ride the 250 was more fun.

Just to follow up in case anyone else is in this situation:

Everyone here absolutely right. Took my old outdated registration to the MTO, waited in socially distant line for half an hour, just told the counter lady I'd like to plate a bike. She asked whether I purchased it or it was mine -- told her I already owned it, she just had me fill a form with insurance information and the VIN off the old registration and $80 later I was cruising home with a bike plate in my front pocket. Couldn't have gone smoother.

Thanks for the help everyone!

It sounds like you prefer the 250 and should maybe sell the 650

even cheaper that way

Back
Top Bottom