Who's still riding? Fall & Winter 2022 (& 2023!) edition! | Page 19 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Who's still riding? Fall & Winter 2022 (& 2023!) edition!

Although not as bad as your concussion symptoms, I can relate to how angry/frustrating/scary that must be.

And embarrassing sometimes. I was having a conversation with friends discussing a vacation we have planned together next December. We got talking about a third couple (friend of ours, but not of theirs) who are also coming - so it’ll be 6 of us.

They haven’t yet met (it’s a long story), but I was asked the inevitable question “what’s their names, by the way!”

I couldn’t remember them.

We’ve been friends for 20+ years.

Fack.

I do hope this comes back. I’m no spring chicken but I went from being a pretty snappy thinker to feeling like my brain is a russet potato all of a sudden lol.

I'm guessing nobody is out riding this evening lol.

That was quite the little storm, albeit brief.

I'm guessing nobody is out riding this evening lol.

That was quite the little storm, albeit brief.
I got out for a while, cut short by rain. Sorry to hear about your concussion mess. I've had five. My short term memory is pretty much gone. I need to habitually put stuff in the same place to find it, and write stuff I need to remember in my phone's notepad. Today I went to replace a brake lever, and couldn't find it. Phoned the shop and got a replacement, went, picked it up, decided I couldn't get it done right away, and put it in same drawer as the one I had previously bought. I had searched that drawer earlier, but forgot what the package looked like.

I need to habitually put stuff in the same place to find it, and write stuff I need to remember in my phone's notepad. Today I went to replace a brake lever, and couldn't find it. Phoned the shop and got a replacement, went, picked it up, decided I couldn't get it done right away, and put it in same drawer as the one I had previously bought. I had searched that drawer earlier, but forgot what the package looked like.

This is my life right now. I can SO understand this right down to the point of physically staring at something and not processing what it is.

I've had five. My short term memory is pretty much gone.

:oops:

Jeebus, that sucks. I hope mine comes back, as this is not fun at all.

At this point however I'm just hoping for the brain fog to clear enough that I can get back to work, and hopefully enjoy some sort or riding season.

I've never been diagnosed with a concussion, but I can relate to a lot of these symptoms being discussed.
I get brain fog regularly. It seems to last for several days, sometimes weeks, then it slowly lifts and I'll have a very clear mind. But that clarity only lasts a few days and the cycle repeats. It's been like that for over a decade. When I think back to my early education, I think I had permanent brain fog and it's only the last couple decades that I've had periods of clarity.
I'm also well-know for having a bad short term memory.
After some thought several years ago, I recall skating on a patch of ice without a helmet when I was around 5 years old. I fell backward and cracked my head off the ice. I remember my head hitting, everything going black, then hearing a loud bell ringing for a long time as my mom helped me walk home. I often wonder if that was a concussion that damaged my brain for life and nobody ever knew.

This is my life right now. I can SO understand this right down to the point of physically staring at something and not processing what it is.

At this point however I'm just hoping for the brain fog to clear enough that I can get back to work, and hopefully enjoy some sort or riding season.
Wow... I had a bunch.

2 years ago I had my worst. Caught my feet in a tarp and went over a 3'retaining wall, an interlock patio stopped my face. I didn't have time to get my hands out, got knocked out cold, broken orbital bone and 15 stitches to the face. I was foggy for a couple of days, and back to myself after a week. No lingering symptoms.

Hope your fog clears soon.

Took the bike down to the shop today. My street was still icy, but the place closes at noon. Lots of fog and the snowbanks are still four feet high.

Took the bike down to the shop today. My street was still icy, but the place closes at noon. Lots of fog and the snowbanks are still four feet high.

Everything except one little remnant of a 8 foot tall snowbank is gone here now. I booted at it today to help dispatch it faster lol.

Just got back from an afternoon spin.. 16c when I set out st 1:30, dropped to 2c at 1700, and ice pellets were falling, went back to 14c and sunny.

Trying to get in riding shape for my first road trip on April 14 weekend.

I had my aortic valve replaced a couple of years ago and was supposed to spend some decent house arrest time, I started to suffer what I thought was brain fog. I begged my GP to let me go back to work earlier than scheduled and within in a couple of weeks I think was back to my old self. Another recent story, 75 year old guy that worked for me retired last year. He came back to work start of last month, the first week he was a cabbage, I was shock how much he had lost mind wise and was second guessing my decision to rehire him. However by the second week you could see the motor running again. Starting to think about my long tern future when it comes down to my turn to retire, maybe do a two or three day week.

Your concussion maybe a different scenario than mine however.

I had my aortic valve replaced a couple of years ago and was supposed to spend some decent house arrest time, I started to suffer what I thought was brain fog. I begged my GP to let me go back to work earlier than scheduled and within in a couple of weeks I think was back to my old self. Another recent story, 75 year old guy that worked for me retired last year. He came back to work start of last month, the first week he was a cabbage, I was shock how much he had lost mind wise and was second guessing my decision to rehire him. However by the second week you could see the motor running again. Starting to think about my long tern future when it comes down to my turn to retire, maybe do a two or three day week.

Your concussion maybe a different scenario than mine however.
I retired at 50, that was my plan. 3 weeks in I had a widowmaker that I survived unscathed. 6 mo to rehab then back to retirement. 3 years I thought I was in early dementia or Alzheimers- forgetting things, trouble with math, lots track days of the week, forgetting people's names.

Decided to go back to work. After a couple of weeks I was back to normal me. I'm gonna stay working on my terms, the money means nothing to me.

My sanity is priceless.

Misread the forecast or more likely just ignored it. It was nice in the morning when I rode to work on March 29th. This is what I came out to at the end of the day. That turned out to not be snow so much as ice. I had to use my finger nails to scrape the ignition key, starter button, tail light and turn signals.... lol338896857_1895286810852733_9184660586423563209_n.jpg

Where the heck do you guys live?? We haven't had snow on the ground in weeks in Toronto.
I'm in Orangeville and we've only started seeing grass a week or so ago. The snow banks from the shoveling still exist. And there are only patches of open water on Island Lake. I usually call the GTA, "Florida" because of the difference of weather that can happen just 80kms away.

I begged my GP to let me go back to work earlier than scheduled and within in a couple of weeks I think was back to my old self.

I did exactly this back in January. It did not go well. I was making mistakes at work. Lots of them. A few scared me. Then the migraines hit on top of it all.

The rest is history.

FWIW the last 2-ish days I've felt the best I've felt in months and I went gung-ho on a bunch of stuff around the house. Organized the garage. Cleaned the back deck a little. Felt less exhausted. I even got the bike out and followed the wife for a little 6-8km ride on her Spyder when it was nice on Saturday - finally felt clear enough to feel safe on 2 wheels.

And today I feel like a total sack of **** again, spacy as **** and exhausted ready for bed at 6PM. Ugh.

Concussions are not to be taken lightly...I had a mild one about 10-11 years ago when a student accidentally hit me in the head with a basketball...took a few days to feel normal and it was only a mild one.

We go through concussion training every year and any head injury where a student exhibits any symptom is taken very seriously...I've had students off for weeks and on reduced work loads for months.

Being older it takes longer for our bodies to get back to normal...take it easy and make sure you follow your body's cues.

Can't wait! Another couple weeks and I can pack up my winter riding gear in favour of my "cool weather" riding gear. I can already forgo the heated visor for the afternoon commute, but still fogs a little in the early mornings.
I figure it'll be another month before I switch my winter tires for summers. I'll play that by ear.

Thursday looking good especially after all the rain the day prior. Looking forward to trying out my new lid.

Back
Top Bottom