Who's still riding? Fall & Winter 2022 (& 2023!) edition! | Page 18 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Who's still riding? Fall & Winter 2022 (& 2023!) edition!

If you are riding an have no choice but to go over a short spot (a few feet?) Of ice stay steady with no acceleration braking or turning.

Yep, you can get over pretty much any slippery surface on 2 wheels by simply using this method.

Ultimately a motorcycle wants by it's very nature to stay upright. You can completely fall off and a motorcycle would continue on it's way on 2 wheels without you.

I find it absolutely hilarious, accordingly, watching all the people online freaking out about grass clippings and tar snakes and all the other nonsense that people have convinced themselves is apparent instant death if they happen upon them.

If you somehow fail to see (the first failure, not assessing road conditions ahead of you) and hit fresh grass clippings...in a light rain...while on a 45 degree lean angle...in a high speed corner... yeah, sure, you could have a problem. But that's a lot of planets aligning for that to happen, starting with not looking at road conditions ahead to begin with and riding to conditions. But anyone dropping their bike riding through leaves or grass or whatever else on a straight and otherwise dry stretch of road during any normal riding conditions did something stupid to cause them to crash...you can ride over that sort of stuff all day long and be just fine with some basic skills.

You pretty much have to expect ice to occur in days like this. Snow melts and the melt goes on the road. It freezes overnight and makes the ice.

You certainly have to pay attention to the roads and where the snow will melt and what parts of the roads will stay in shade and may stay icy.

If you are riding an have no choice but to go over a short spot (a few feet?) Of ice stay steady with no acceleration braking or turning.

..Tom

Yup. First thing I thought when I read about the guy going over the patch of ice on the highway was... when would I ever be following so closely at this time of year that I wouldn't see a patch of ice coming up on my bike? Other than that, like you said, smooth sailing.

Just gearing up to ride to Studio Cycle for the launch of the Moto Guzzi V100.

If anyone would like to see living proof that you can ride in the winter and not be some sort of demigod (or else just spontaneously ******* die), and just be a normal human, I'll bring my Sharpie, you bring your gear for me to autograph.

I asked around the Moto Guzzi V100 at Studio Cycle the other night if anyone had seen @sburns

"Who?" they all asked.

"You know, the guy who says riding in the winter is dangerous."

And then someone told me about how Russians bots are infiltrating internet communities to spread fake news, and given that no one's ever seen him, he's probably a Russian bot.

It all makes sense now.

Left Studio around 9 PM. Rode home in -1. Turned my heated vest on. Roads were empty and dry.

Got barked at by the neighbour's adorable golden retriever puppy on the other side of the fence. It took a very focused "Be a good giiiirrrrrrllll" in my best baby voice to disarm the threat. By far the greatest peril I faced that night.

Dangerously yours,

- Adri 😁

@adri who?, yeah they were talking about you.

Yeah nice try, it was snowing last night from 8pm - midnight. Keep up with the prevese logic, it's amusing, carry on.

@adri who?, yeah they were talking about you.

Yeah nice try, it was snowing last night from 8pm - midnight. Keep up with the prevese logic, it's amusing, carry on.

Studio's bike reveal was saturday night, not last night ;) Lighten up a little m'dude!

Nice day for a ride today! I went up to Bancroft and did a little 430 km loop.

I was thinking of going up 507 but at Bobcaygeon it was obvious that the rain we got in the GTA was snow up there. Most roads were fine but there was anywhere from two to four inches of slushy snow on the roadside with side roads being bit iffy so I stayed on major roads.

I'm at about 4,200 km of riding for 2023.

..Tom

Did a 3 hr loop today, put me up to 1800km for 2023.

Little warmup for my first weekend run of the season, gonna head to my place up north, 1600km run there and back on Apr 14 weekend, 550km on dirt.

I'm at about.....2km on the year so far. 😢

Fuc👿👿😡😠😡:mad:😠👿king concussion.

I really hope this improves as the thoughts of an entirely lost riding season (if it doesn't) is, frankly, depressing.

I'm at about.....2km on the year so far. 😢

Fuc👿👿😡😠😡:mad:😠👿king concussion.

I really hope this improves as the thoughts of an entirely lost riding season (if it doesn't) is, frankly, depressing.
You don't need to answer if you don't want to.

I'm not trying to be nosey or get into your personal health...... Just curious.

Is it specifically riding that is hard due to the concussion,(stability, keeping balance etc) or anything specific about the riding itself. i.e. wearing a helmet is uncomfortable or too much pressure on the head? Or is it the sound of the wind noise, or is it the sound of the exhaust?

Or do you just not feel yourself due to the effects of the concussion and do not want to risk anything and complicate things further so you choose not to ride?

Thankfully I have never had a concussion so I don't really know what the effects of them are, short of long term.

Having said that, I may soon have one from banging my head against this damn keyboard because the CTRL+ENTER is not working the way its suppose to. 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

Hope you have a speedy recovery and get back on the road ASAP.

Is it specifically riding that is hard due to the concussion,(stability, keeping balance etc) or anything specific about the riding itself. i.e. wearing a helmet is uncomfortable or too much pressure on the head? Or is it the sound of the wind noise, or is it the sound of the exhaust?

Headaches and bouts of overwhelming "brain fog".

The headaches I can wallop with enough tylenol and I think they'll be OK (they've improved if not completely gone away), but the brain fog is just...brutal. I lose my phone about 25 times a day - I found it in the microwave of all places one day and have no recollection of putting it in there. I took something out of the oven a week or so back and seconds later went to grab it with my bare hands because I forgot it was hot even though it was 10 seconds earlier I took it out. I start a task and an hour later find myself doing 4 other things and at the end of the day accomplishing none of them. I forget the stove on and forget to do things like flush the damn toilet. Etc etc etc.

I'm just worried about my cognitive abilities and processing speed while riding right now. We all know you need to be 100% on the ball 100% of the the time, and I'm not sure I'm there.

Anyhow I could keep going but nobody wants to hear it. I'm just personally very frustrated is all hence the random ranting. I should be better by now, and I'm not.

Headaches and bouts of overwhelming "brain fog".

The headaches I can wallop with enough tylenol and I think they'll be OK (they've improved if not completely gone away), but the brain fog is just...brutal. I lose my phone about 25 times a day - I found it in the microwave of all places one day and have no recollection of putting it in there. I took something out of the oven a week or so back and seconds later went to grab it with my bare hands because I forgot it was hot even though it was 10 seconds earlier I took it out. I start a task and an hour later find myself doing 4 other things and at the end of the day accomplishing none of them. I forget the stove on and forget to do things like flush the damn toilet. Etc etc etc.

I'm just worried about my cognitive abilities and processing speed while riding right now. We all know you need to be 100% on the ball 100% of the the time, and I'm not sure I'm there.

Anyhow I could keep going but nobody wants to hear it. I'm just personally very frustrated is all hence the random ranting. I should be better by now, and I'm not.
DAMN. Doesn't sound like fun at all. Sorry to hear.
You can vent all you want or need here. We are not riding yet (except for a select few) so we will listen for sure.

If it makes you feel any better, my wife asked me to call her phone yesterday as she couldn't find it in the house. I did, and she found it in the fridge.
She is in her late 30's and not suffering from any post concussion symptoms. o_Oo_O

Last edited:
If if makes you feel any better, my wife asked me to call her phone yesterday as she couldn't find it in the house. I did, and she found it in the fridge.

LOL. The fridge is a new one.

Thankfully the Apple Watch has a nice feature that lets you ping the phone it's paired to so I can usually find it in fairly short order (except when I leave it in the garage or basement or whatever where I can't hear the ping), but it's just.....weird. I can literally put it down and forget where it is seconds later. And then I ping it and have zero recollection of leaving it there. The same with tools when I've been puttering in the garage. Sometimes I can stare right at a tool and my brain doesn't recognize it's there even. It's.....bizarre sometimes.

The stuff like sitting in the living room and realizing that I've so fogged out that I'm literally staring at a random object for minutes at a time is the most concerning. If that happens when I'm riding I could damn well just completely zone out and miss a corner or something.

My wife will ask me to do something and it's completely, totally....110% GONE from my brain seconds later.

I have chronic "tip of the tongue" syndrome often as well where the word is there but I can't get it out.

I have to set endless reminders and timers on my phone to self-prompt myself to remember to do things, check things, etc.

Hopefully I'm overthinking the motorcycle thing I'm doing OK driving a car thankfully (although I didn't drive for a 5-6 week period in the early stages as I had brutal double vision and migraines), but driving a car is (I think many can agree) one of those "autopilot" things where you don't need much thought anymore after doing it for decades. It's simple. It's automatic. But a motorcycle never reaches that point - you always need to be "on the ball" for lack of better words. I'm just too freaked out to even try it right now, and normally with the weather we've had the last week or so (plus that little nice stretch we had in Jan or Feb whenever it was) I'd have 500-1000km on by this time of year.

Anyhow, venting does feel good, thanks. I've just reached a point of anger now that I'm going into 4 months later I'm still trying to get my noggin' functioning right again.

LOL. The fridge is a new one.

Thankfully the Apple Watch has a nice feature that lets you ping the phone it's paired to so I can usually find it in fairly short order (except when I leave it in the garage or basement or whatever where I can't hear the ping), but it's just.....weird. I can literally put it down and forget where it is seconds later. And then I ping it and have zero recollection of leaving it there. The same with tools when I've been puttering in the garage. Sometimes I can stare right at a tool and my brain doesn't recognize it's there even. It's.....bizarre sometimes.

The stuff like sitting in the living room and realizing that I've so fogged out that I'm literally staring at a random object for minutes at a time is the most concerning. If that happens when I'm riding I could damn well just completely zone out and miss a corner or something.

My wife will ask me to do something and it's completely, totally....110% GONE from my brain seconds later.

I have chronic "tip of the tongue" syndrome often as well where the word is there but I can't get it out.

I have to set endless reminders and timers on my phone to self-prompt myself to remember to do things, check things, etc.

Hopefully I'm overthinking the motorcycle thing I'm doing OK driving a car thankfully (although I didn't drive for a 5-6 week period in the early stages as I had brutal double vision and migraines), but driving a car is (I think many can agree) one of those "autopilot" things where you don't need much thought anymore after doing it for decades. It's simple. It's automatic. But a motorcycle never reaches that point - you always need to be "on the ball" for lack of better words. I'm just too freaked out to even try it right now, and normally with the weather we've had the last week or so (plus that little nice stretch we had in Jan or Feb whenever it was) I'd have 500-1000km on by this time of year.

Anyhow, venting does feel good, thanks. I've just reached a point of anger now that I'm going into 4 months later I'm still trying to get my noggin' functioning right again.
Sorry to hear this. Hopefully a speedy and safe recovery is imminent.

I think you're making the right call with the bike, it would not be worth making a mistake.

I think you're making the right call with the bike, it would not be worth making a mistake.

Yeah, gotta talk to my doctors more.

One doctor says "you should be better" which is frustrating as ****, the other says "we understand, this is a legit thing, not all doctors understand concussions, but push yourself as it'll help, don't just sit on the couch", other doctors say "relax and let your brain heal".

The medical system really seems fractured and unclear for concussion treatment. Unless you're a multi-millionare sports star or something, they seem to have no problem getting primo treatment for concussions.

Meanwhile I've come to learn in the last week that a lot of Fords healthcare cuts absolutely decimated a concussion treatment program that I just started... meaning I'm going to have to pay out of pocket for a treatment path that is *proven* to work, but went from being about 75% OHIP covered and 25% "your benefits from work should cover a lot of the rest" to about 10% OHIP covered and the rest "good luck, you figure it out, because your benefits are going to be exhausted in about 5 treatments or simply doesn't cover a lot of this stuff at all anyways". So yeah, out of pocket.

To clarify, the doctors and such as that above mentioned treatment program are clearly very gutted about the whole situation...to the point where there was talk about just disbanding it all as they can't function anymore - not everyone has the financial ability to pay $150-$400 a week and they went from being able to help people to basically having to turn people away.

The doctor that did the first orientation session got paid $40 from OHIP for.....1.5 hours with me.

They're basically doing it out of the goodness of their heart at this point.

**** doug ford.

Sorry to hear this, @PrivatePilot .

I also have tip of the tongue syndrome, but I think it has more to do with the cognitive decline related to old age. Constantly have to Google stuff that I used to be able to recall instantaneously. Recalling names and places is especially bad.

Although not as bad as your concussion symptoms, I can relate to how angry/frustrating/scary that must be.

Back
Top Bottom