Where to get shims, without getting a kit? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Where to get shims, without getting a kit?

Locally it's contingent upon being friendly with a workshop mechanic, or knowing someone who has a bunch of spares.
Other bike sites that I frequent have a list of members that hold parts like shims or specialty tools as a "sticky"

Here I'll start
I have
8mm Ducati shims
29mm Kawi shims
29.5mm Suzuki shims

OEM shims usually are better quality and offered in more sizes

I still see $9.75 as reasonable.
MMMM
I drove from Mississauaga to Port Perry for two $22 shims (I miss Steve)
I drove from Peterborough to Burlington for ONE $22 shim (I asked John how many shims they sold "over the counter". He said the last time was 14yrs earlier, to me)
I spent two days touring around Ontario, from Perth to London, trying to get OEM Suzuki 29.5mm shims.

Yeah, $9.75 is a deal.

Try these people. I haven't used them but a friend does all the time. $1.95/ea + they have all sizes, not just the limited ones you find in a shim kit. Use Shippsy to import.

Thanks for the tip. I've bookmarked the page for future reference. Had I seen this msg earlier I would have purchased from them instead. Looks like the eBay seller I purchased from has pretty crummy service (according to Google reviews, not eBay).

During my search I learned shims can be made from two different materials: Carburizing Steel and Forged 4140 Steel. I don't know what the difference is (anyone know and care to explain?).

I don't know what the stock/oem shims are made from, but Forged 4140 Steel shims seem to be a little more expensive than Carburizing steel.

I'm also noticing most of the Chinese shims are made from carburizing steel. I'm guessing these are of lowering quality. You can get a 140 piece shim kit from AliExpress for $60 to $75 CAD shipped. I may end up calling back the dealer to get those OEM shims at $10 a piece :ROFLMAO:

Valve shims need to be hardened, different steel alloys have different characteristics, alloying and hardening steel is an art. ymmv.

lol watch forged in fire some time, you'll see.

Wtf. You are going to pull shims from random engines to measure them and try to find the ones you need to try to save a dollar or two? That's dedication trials.
:LOL: I probably would have got them for free from Woody and have the bike going by now too. I don't fix em for fun I fix em to ride.

SMALL FEE????
I think you're missing the point.
I can BUY shims for a small "FEE"
That model makes sense for a shop imo. It does cost them something in time and material so paying a swap fee to get what you need quickly and easily seems reasonable to me.

For a shop, yes.
We're not talking about a shop.
I am talking about a bunch of like minded people trying to help each other out of a problem.
Do we not do that anymore? I'm old, maybe I see things differently.

... and in the 48 years I have been working on cars and bikes I have NEVER paid a fee to a shop to trade valve shims.
AND I have never charge a fee to a shop when THEY wanted to trade shims with me.

It PAYS to be a nice guy.

I meant like $2/shim small fee. Not looking to retire off this...but also don't like having my time wasted. Or the fact that I spent over $100 for a kit where you want something for free.

Wtf. You are going to pull shims from random engines to measure them and try to find the ones you need to try to save a dollar or two? That's dedication trials.
You'll find all of the removed engines, all the way to the end of this row and then turn left
hondalane.jpg

Ended up ordering from the dealer afterall.

Turns out pretty much all other shims are made in China. Not to say they're bad, but I'd like to do the job only once and know I won't have issues later.

Wiseco, moose, AHL, and more recently hot cams are all made in China.

The OEM shims I recieved from gp bikes have a stick which reads "made in Japan".

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom