What is your experience riding a KTM enduro 690 R on trails? | GTAMotorcycle.com

What is your experience riding a KTM enduro 690 R on trails?

mki972

After so many years, I finally got the bike of my dreams. Trail capable, good looking, and not be a slug on the highway.
After 3 months, I got used to the gentle speed wobble that can come from time to time when I ride above 130 km/h, and finally took it on the trails a couple of months ago. I definitely went to places I wasn't expected. The bike is more capable than I thought, but it still feels quite heavy compared to a regular enduro. I know it is kinda impossible to find a unicorn bike, but was wondering about other 690's owners out there:
What is your experience riding it?
How hard do you take it on trails? Do you do single track?
How mod did you do?

That's a bike that sure caught my eye when I was buying my 390 Adventure. Nice looking bike, but about 180kgs wet if I recall. I was drooling over the Supermoto version of it.

I bought a 2017 Husqvarna 701 Enduro in early 2018 brand new and got a smokin good deal on it too. Was super pumped about the bike but as I rode it more I became aware of just how bad it’s limitations were. If you live near Bancroft or similar area with lots of Rocky two track or snowmobile trails, sure it would be outstanding bike to have. If you live near the city and have to ride 100-170 kms away just to enjoy off road riding it’s a bloody misery. Too big to be good in tough single track. It’s okay in Ganny single track which is relatively easy. Too small for extended highway jaunts. I only ended up putting 2000kms on it before replacing it with a 450exc. The 450/500 exc bikes are much better in my opinion for what most people will use these bikes for. Further to that I also currently own a 1090 Adventure and that bike is far more enjoyable than my 701 ever was and I ride it in the rough stuff.

I think best combo is a small two stroke enduro coupled with a bigger adventure bike 790, 1190 or 1090.
My 0.02$

I bought a 2017 Husqvarna 701 Enduro in early 2018 brand new and got a smokin good deal on it too. Was super pumped about the bike but as I rode it more I became aware of just how bad it’s limitations were. If you live near Bancroft or similar area with lots of Rocky two track or snowmobile trails, sure it would be outstanding bike to have. If you live near the city and have to ride 100-170 kms away just to enjoy off road riding it’s a bloody misery. Too big to be good in tough single track. It’s okay in Ganny single track which is relatively easy. Too small for extended highway jaunts. I only ended up putting 2000kms on it before replacing it with a 450exc. The 450/500 exc bikes are much better in my opinion for what most people will use these bikes for. Further to that I also currently own a 1090 Adventure and that bike is far more enjoyable than my 701 ever was and I ride it in the rough stuff.

I think best combo is a small two stroke enduro coupled with a bigger adventure bike 790, 1190 or 1090.
My 0.02$

Thanks for that review.

I was debating adding a 690/701 to the stable but you've convinced me to just get a proper mid-weight ADV since I already have a plated dirt bike.

Thanks for that review.

I was debating adding a 690/701 to the stable but you've convinced me to just get a proper mid-weight ADV since I already have a plated dirt bike.

I think this is probably the most sensible thing for most people to do

Anything that is super specialized isnt really practical or sensible for most people, no point getting a supersport if your not regularly tracking
no point getting a full on dirt bike or dual sport unless you live close to lots of accessible dirt

I think this is probably the most sensible thing for most people to do

Anything that is super specialized isnt really practical or sensible for most people, no point getting a supersport if your not regularly tracking
no point getting a full on dirt bike or dual sport unless you live close to lots of accessible dirt

You know, after all this time, I still find myself trying to hone in on that Holy Grail of Adventure Bikes: Light and nimble for the trails, adequate passing power for getting past trucks on the freeway, long range, capable of hauling luggage for weeks, if not years, on the road, comfortable for long distances, long maintenance intervals.

I spent years traveling on a 600+lb German behemoth, cursing every time we tackled gnarly terrain. So, in knee-jerk-response fashion, I got a pseudo-dirt-bike, but then found out that it was underpowered and overweight. Pendulum swing to a more powerful bike, only to find out the suspension and handling sucked off-road. So pendulum swung further and now I have a ultra-light dirt bike with amazing power-to-weight ratio, handles super-awesome in *ANY* terrain. But now I have to change the oil every 3 days, and the tank range is 200 kms... optimistically. And there's no subframe to strap down luggage to, so I'm forced to Frankenstein something to the frame and foot pegs.

I read online reviews all the time, and I've come to really value first-hand accounts, like @Mikel 's above. I also shake my head at all the Internet arm-chair pundits who will cart out some RTW traveler who rides the bike they are championing: "Look at so-and-so, she rode a CRF250L/500 EXC-F/HD Sportster around the world. So it's possible!"

You can make any motorcycle work beneath you for any application. But is it good for *YOU*, specifically? For your skills, for the kind of riding you do, your comfort, your sciatica, your carpal-tunnel, your wallet, etc.

I find it highly amusing when I'm on a R1200GS forum and people are arguing whether it makes for a good RTW bike or not. "Too heavy!", "Too expensive and complicated to fix!" And then someone will link to our blog: "Look at Gene and Neda, they rode around the world on one. So it's possible!"

It just emphasizes to me that CRF250L girl traveling RTW *AT SOME POINT* wishes she had more power and comfort. Also 500 EXC-F guy *AT SOME POINT* wishes he didn't have to change his oil again yet again so soon. Harley guy wishes... well, wishes *ALL THE TIME* he had taken any other bike but a Harley... :)

The more motorcycles I burn through, the more I realize that the One-Bike-To-Rule-Them-All is going to have to be one that compromises the least on your own personal checklist. And if you're going to read reviews, then figure out if the person writing it has the same checklist as you do.

I'm starting to realize that I Like Big Bikes and I Can Not Lie.

The more motorcycles I burn through, the more I realize that the One-Bike-To-Rule-Them-All is going to have to be one that compromises the least on your own personal checklist. And if you're going to read reviews, then figure out if the person writing it has the same checklist as you do.

I'm starting to realize that I Like Big Bikes and I Can Not Lie.
Big Adv bike towing a dirtbike on a trailer? The big bike gets you to the door of off-road adventure (and holds extra gas/oil) and the small bike allows you to have fun while exploring.

Big Adv bike towing a dirtbike on a trailer? The big bike gets you to the door of off-road adventure (and holds extra gas/oil) and the small bike allows you to have fun while exploring.

futurama-fry-joking-or-serious-memes.jpg

In all seriousness and in line with this thread the New 2021 690/701 are the best they’ve ever been with improved suspension and fuel injection fixes. If you are dedicated and wealthy you can definitely outfit the bike to be a do it all bike it’s a great platform minus the terrible terrible seat. For someone like me in my mid 30’s , 2 young children at home, good job with above average vacation time, living in the GTA. I find my riding still has to be focused. I need to plan to get the most out of my riding. That’s why companies like Rally Connex and OVR crew are good things for me because I’ll pay for someone to pre ride a new area and tell me it’s good. Helps me get the most of my limited riding time. That’s why I currently own a 250 xcw and a 1090 R. I love doing the small bike events and I also really enjoy the guys weekends with lots of alcohol bad dietary decisions while riding the 1090.

I wanted a 690 for years and bought one last year with the expectation that it would be a do it all bike with a focus on leisurely riding on back roads and broad trails

It is a great bike, but after one year I sold it when I found a good deal on a 1090R. It's a better leisurely back road bike that has the all day comfort and range to explore further.

As for riding single track on it I found it to be unpleasant. Stock gearing is too high, the bike is heavy and the turning radius isn't sharp enough for single track.

After riding a 530 and now a 690 in single track I am thoroughly convinced that smaller is better and 2 stroke is more fun in the woods.

Do you hit the pavement often with your 690? If so, stock tank or aftermarket?

We have the same range (500 EXC), debating whether to go aftermarket or jerry can/deflectable bladders.
This season, I was mostly on the road (ratio: 90/10) as I got my offroad gears progressively and started late.

The tank is stock; I was no more bothered by the autonomy than by the absence of a fuel gauge on the 2018 model. I usually try to fuel up every 150k and before hitting the trails.

What I love about the 690:
  1. The torque. So much torque, so fun.
  2. Highway ride and passing are really comfortable. If you were in Germany, you could potentially hit 160km/h really easily on their unlimited highway.
  3. The aggressive look.
  4. Went on the trail still have fun. I live in downtown Toronto. I don't have a truck to haul a pure dirtbike.
What I like less about the 690:
  1. It is heavy on trails. Get tired faster but still having fun.
  2. Sometimes there is a speed wobble above 130km/h. It was freaky at first, but I just need to deaccelerate and reaccelerate, and I am good. it lasts 5 seconds. After searching online, it could be tire alignment or could be fixed by installing a Steering Damper, which could apparently also help with the heavy feel on trails, and...
  3. then Vibrations. (Steering damper??). Lost some screws need some screw Loctite.
  4. Monkey butt on the stock seat (seat concept: validated (y))
You get a LOT of love, particularly if you live around Ottawa (Where I picked it up).

Next season plans:
  • More trail riding
  • Upgrades:
    • Aluminum skid plate
    • the steering damper
  • Events like rallyconnex
  • Go to trail tour at the beginning and the end of the season

Sometimes there is a speed wobble above 130km/h. It was freaky at first, but I just need to deaccelerate and reaccelerate, and I am good. it lasts 5 seconds. After searching online, it could be tire alignment or could be fixed by installing a Steering Damper, which could apparently also help with the heavy feel on trails, and...

Yeah, I get that too on the EXC, for me it starts around 120 km/h and then gets progressively worse from there.

I tried to find out what was causing this and then on one highway run, I noticed the front fender vibrating like a sumbitch. I reached down with my hand to steady it and the wobble lessened noticeably. Not totally gone though.

Other things that contribute could also be the 21" front or the knobbies. Assumed you've already checked the wheel balance. Rim lock on the front wheel?

Haven't tried the decelerate and accelerate trick. Might be some resonant frequency thing if that works.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom