Weekend Trip Ideas? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Weekend Trip Ideas?

BeastieGirl

Okay, I need to get on the road again. This weekend has been full of family things, which is great and I just got back last weekend from the Grand Canyon, but its 4 weeks until my 5 days weekend to West Virginia the end of July and I need at least one little filler trip - preferably one that gives me a break from border crossings.

I'm thinking Algonguin Park/Georgian Bay or Kawartha areas, but the cottage country traffic going up and coming home is the big downside. All are relatively close (I'm in Hamilton) and I'll be camping, but there is nothing I hate more than sitting in stop and go traffic twiddling my thumbs with on my bike.

Anybody have any favourite weekend get-aways this side of the border?

No matter which direction you go you'll have an issue unless you either ride late on Friday or early Sat.
If you feel like a different sort of adventure - ride up to York Soaring early morning on Sat ( or camp Friday night there ) and take a demo flight and hang around for a while and chat - ideal demo time is around noon. They'll guide you and you might, like me, get hooked and get your licence.
It's a thrill and not all that expensive. Great people, much fun. Best way you could EVER spend two weeks vacation time.

http://www.yorksoaring.com/try-soaring

I'd train at York and then fly at SOSA - free wireless at York so you can stay in touch.
http://www.sosaglidingclub.com/

which is much nearer to you ( my home club when I was active ). The National Championships are on this weekend tho not looking great today - would be worth having a look.
This was yesterday
Screenshot2011-07-01atJul1201132740PM.jpg

Then if you don't stick there (the clubs have camping ) head up to Chatsworth and check out the MotoCross park there.

http://www.motoparkracing.com/

Again nice people - and free wireless
Always fun to watch and there might be a race on.

That's one day and then you could mosey up to Tobermory and take a local cruise - there is also lots of camping spots in the peninsula as well.
You will of course be stuck with home bound traffic.

This is a Tobermory route worked out by another
http://www.motowhere.com/maps/route/Kitchener-to-Tobermory-and-back

Not a bad second day route for you. At least you stay to the west of the main traffic routes and you can slide into Hamilton from there.

I'm riding most weekends so happy to ride with you tho no camping for these old bones. -
Could do the first day - show you the ropes on the sailplanes etc - you could get a jump and ride up to York on Friday and camp - great bunch there.

and then do the Tobermory loop the next day.
If you want some company happy to meet up where ever either day and do that loop which is a nice distance. I'm in Mississauga so not bad vectors.

Girl, I can relate to your predicament. Like myself, you have got the touring bug in your blood bad. I've been on two trips so far this summer and plan on a couple more, but like your self, I have no opportunity for further trips for a few weeks (August). The thought of going that long with out another adventure is torture. I suggest you squeeze in another Pennsylvania trip. It's close and there are always roads you haven't explored. Btw, do you usually travel solo or in a group?

Good Luck

Yeah I'm stuck for longer trips til staff get back in mid July. Filling in with day trips and hanging out at the gliderport :D
Thoms up learning the skill.

Yeah I'm stuck for longer trips til staff get back in mid July. Filling in with day trips and hanging out at the gliderport :D
Thoms up learning the skill.
I plan on two consecutive days at York this coming week. Don't know which days yet though. I'd like to get an additional whack (8) lessons/flights in as I am then tied up till mid August. That's all I've been thinking about since Tuesday's intros..

keep me posted - should change this thread to Thom's Excellent Adventure

snoopy%20ww1%20flying%20ace.jpg

even some resemblance ;)

Girl, I can relate to your predicament. Like myself, you have got the touring bug in your blood bad. I've been on two trips so far this summer and plan on a couple more, but like your self, I have no opportunity for further trips for a few weeks (August). The thought of going that long with out another adventure is torture. I suggest you squeeze in another Pennsylvania trip. It's close and there are always roads you haven't explored. Btw, do you usually travel solo or in a group?

Good Luck

Actually Pennsylvania does come to mind - Warren is a easy trip and there are some areas I wanted to go back and explore that I saw on my way back from the PA Grand Canyon. Also lots of places around the Poconos I just touched on when I went there - but I think I would want more than a two-day weekend for that trip.

I ride alone and in groups, but most of my touring is done solo. When I went to the real Grand Canyon last month, that was a two-week solo trip for me. I have friends I've met at various rallies in the States that I meet up with on some trips, and I have a friend here who goes on one trip a year with me (his girlfriend doesn't like to ride at all, but is okay with us travelling together) and I belong to a riding club which I try to get out with at least once week, although in the summer they know I'm not around a lot of weekends.

On my last trip I met a lot of solo riders. Its one of those things, like riding itself I guess, that if someone can't understand why you love it, its at least hard, if not impossible to explain it. I enjoy my rides with other people, but I love my trips by myself. I feel a connection to my bike and my surroundings that I don't feel when I'm in a group. (Edit - at the risk of sounding really corny, the best way to explain it is I feel "at one with the universe") In the south-west you can go for miles and miles without seeing another soul (so never pass up a gas station) but for that time it feels like the world belongs to you.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom