We DID it and NOW it's time..... | GTAMotorcycle.com

We DID it and NOW it's time.....

cutekill

Administrator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Rider Training Professional
THANK YOU to all the members of the GTAM Online Ride Team for participating in the Ride for Sight this year AND for making sure GTAM keeps it's #1 Spot.

We have two team members in the top ten for the Individual Fundraising Goals. Way to go Tony and Sheri!

We all have our reasons for doing Ride for Sight.

My Ride for Sight adventure went like this.....

1998 - Got up wondering what to do on a beautiful sunny day. Jumped on the back of the bike (yes, I was a passenger then) and found myself at the International Center parking lot with tons of other motorcycles. Stood in awe for quite some time. Happened to be standing beside a gentleman and got to talking. Turns out he was the Windsor coordinator. He told us, if we got up there and found that we were having a ton of fun and wanted to stay the night, to come find his group and he's be sure we had a place to lay our head.

We got up there with the parade, which was the most amazing experience I'd had on a motorcycle up to that point, had an amazing time and went to find him. His group found us a tent, sleeping bags and a few beer!

1999 - In February, Steve, the Windsor coordinator, invited us to come to the coordinators meeting, just to see what it was all about. We did. They went around the room introducing themselves and when it came Steve's turn, after he introduced himself, he introduced me as the Brampton coordinator. Yep, I was a bit shocked, but said I'd do what I could, because I had so much fun the year before. After being in the parking lot last year and seeing all the bikes, many of them with lady riders I was determined to be on my own bike for this one.

RFS time came and this time I was Riding my OWN bike. Totally topped the experience of the year before.

This is the year I met the executive team, was officially the Brampton coordinator and joining the Planning Team.

2000 - I volunteered at the RFS booth at the bike shows and heard the RFS song that was playing in the background of the videos. It was just the music, and I had no idea there were actual lyrics to it. RFS weekend comes... it's a blast... time goes on.

2001 - Am now a Regional Coordinator, part of the planning team and volunteer for the event weekend.

2002 - MUD FEST. I've never seen so many people have so much fun in a fairground, walking around with mud upto their knees. Never mind the tears in my eyes, while standing in the outside bar, under a tent, when the RFS Parade pulled in. These people rode through extreme weather conditions to get to the event location and when they got their bikes parked, they were full of nothing but smiles!

2003 - RFS created a CD with some of the music that had been played on the Main Stage for the past couple of years. One of the songs on the CD was the Ride for Sight song. This was the first time that I heard this song with the lyrics. Here they are... pay attention to the section in bold...
We are proud of who we are
Cause we believe in what we do
We are the soldiers fighting for
those without means
To see their dreams come true

We won't leave you in the Dark
No, but you are the cause
We are the cure
Standing together, we'll open the door
And it won't be long before the light shines in

Yea, cause we made the spark
that builds the flame
Let's built this fire
To its victory day
We gonna find the way

We'll ride down every highway
Til the whole world knows our name
We got a strong cause to believe
And we're the choice that lights the way
And we won't give up til find a cure
Til the blind they have their light
We are what do
WE'RE THE RIDERS FOR SIGHT

I can't imagine what it would be like
Not able to see with my eyes
For the ones who've seen for all their lives
To know they're going blind
Where days always night

You are the hero's
In you we believe
Standing together we'll kill this disease
And it won't be long before the light shines in

Cause we made the spark
Which made the flame
Let's built the fire
It's VICTORY day
We're gonna find a way

We'll ride down every highway
Until the whole world knows our name
We've got a strong cause to believe in
And we're the choice that lights the way
And we won't give up til we find a cure
Til the blind, they have they're light
WE ARE WHAT WE DO.... WE'RE THE RIDERS FOR SIGHT!!!!!

I wear contacts, so every morning I wake up vision impaired, until I can feel around my nightstand for my glasses. I have the ability to fix my sight by this simple action. For a brief moment, and sometimes longer, if my puppy's are misbehaving, I can only see very fuzzy shapes. I honestly can't imagine only being able to see like this ALL THE TIME.

That's why I Ride for Sight and I look forward to the day when I don't have to anymore!

What's your reason!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom