Water wetter - how long to keep in bike? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Water wetter - how long to keep in bike?

Phoenixfire99

Hi Ya'll,

I take my street bike to the track. When I go to the track I swap out the coolant for water wetter.

Is there any harm in keeping the water wetter in (assuming the bike is running at a normal temp)?

I've heard some folks say that after the track, 1-2 weeks max is how long you should keep it before switching back to traditional anti-freeze.

Thoughts?

My track bike has had water & wetter in there for the last 8 years. Sure, I change it now and then, but never back to anti-freeze.

The issue with water instead of coolant is corrosion. Regular antifreeze prevents it. Water alone of course will generate rust and scale.

Water wetter however has anti corrosion additives, so providing you have it in there along with the water, you're good to go.

If you're storing your bike in a cold garage or outdoors over the wintertime, you'll want to replace the water-wetter with anti-freeze again before the temps go below 0C.

Water wetter doesn't significantly lower the freezing point of the coolant and you'll risk damaging pipes, rads, pumps, etc. if the water expands when frozen.

^^ Yes, very important. Those leaving it in all winter are storing their bikes in heated environments. If you don't very bad things will happen.

Water wetter cools better in summer, so why change back and forth to antifreeze. I have had track bikes where I drained the system completely and left it empty.

There is no reason to change out water+WaterWetter until there is below-freezing temperature in the forecast and the bike is in an unheated place.

If you're going to just drain the system and not fill it with anything for winter storage ... Open drain / disconnect lowest hose with the bike upright and tip it from side to side to encourage most of the water to get out of the low spots. You don't need to get every drop out ... only enough so that water doesn't get trapped in closed spaces where it can't expand as it freezes. (Your ice cube tray has an open top, and it doesn't break when the water freezes into ice cubes ... same thing.) Then put a piece of tape over the ignition switch and write "NO COOLANT" on it to save making a big mistake come springtime ...

No issues unless water freezes where you park in winter. Water when Frozen water wetter in the lines will expand and cause serious issues.

I change it back to coolant in Oct. then next season change to water wetter before first track day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom