Virago riders 1987 535 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Virago riders 1987 535

rome

i was riding yesterday and notice that it would back fire a litttle bit, it runs fine until you ease of the accelerator and do an engine brake. I already change the plugs,and put new fuel on it. Would this be normal for this type of bike this is my first bike.
And where could i find a good bike shop on the east end.
i just got the bike a month ago

thanks
rome

Hey Rome. Typically backfiring means you running lean - too much air, not enough fuel. You bcouldlook at changing the needle position in the carbs or the air/fuel mixture screw below them. I've got an '85 XV1000 and an '86 XV700 but have never looked at the 535 so I'm not sure how similar yours is to mine. For Virago Technical information though, I've found that http://viragotechforum.com is an awesome reference site and forum. Many amazing people there.

Johnhttp://www.canpages.ca/page/ON/north-york/rosey-toes-motorcycles-inc/3471219.html

I started riding on a '89 535. They run lean stock and if your exhaust has been replaced or rotted out it will run leaner causing the pops. Not a huge deal with them. The carbs a bit of a pita to get at with where they are located. Biggest issue with them is the starter (like all virago's I think)

i was told that the pipes on my bike is aftermarket pipes, my question is' are virago original pipe loud anyway i'm just curious.

The bike runs great after it warms up, other than the poping sound when you descelerate. This is my first bike, and got it from a co worker who said the he really hasn't ridden for almost a year.

thanks John and Skip

The stock pipes are very quite on that bike. Mine the resonator rusted out and then I just made them straight pipes (which were very loud). You may want to have the carbs cleaned really well if its sat for that long. It could be as simple as some varnish in the jets restricting the fuel flow.

BTW I had about 200k on my 535 when I sold it...

Back
Top Bottom