Using the clutch too much? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Using the clutch too much?

Eli

When coming up to a brake light or slowing down considerably I roll off the throttle and pull in the clutch just slightly before I actually apply braking. Is this wrong? I tend to to pull in the clutch whenever I feel I need to brake fast (faster than if I just rolled off throttle) in addition to braking. Not sure if that is right.

Also, if I am correct when you are accelerating from a stop you feather the clutch till you're up to a certain speed before letting out the clutch fully? Still having trouble smoothly accelerating from a standstill. Don't know how people leap off when the light goes green (just more throttle?).

Just last year (after 33 years of riding) I started experimenting with braking without grabbing a handfull of clutch. I still prefer to clutch when braking, it's embedded in my brain now. I normally do not feather the clutch when accelerating, unless I think I may be stopping quickly. I'm currently riding a sportster, often the harley's are compared to tractors, and after riding current sport bikes, I can see why, so maybe a different bike may mean different clutching.

Yeah I was just curious. I hear people going on about clutch wear or how some experienced riders say "Oh, I never touch the clutch." I have an older Honda twin, it's fast but not as responsive as newer bikes obviously. I'm still trying to find the sweet spots in the rev range for gear shifts. Sometimes I wonder if I shoudl go with stiffer clutch springs.

In my M1Exit course, we were told to never coast around with the clutch pulled in, unless you plan to come to a complete stop, for two reasons (if I remember correctly):
  1. To help ensure you're always in gear--and the correct gear--in case you need to take off.
  2. Not healthy for the transmission since a motorcycle tranny is different than a car's tranny.
I can understand the 1st one, but can any veterans validate and/or elaborate on the 2nd reason?

:confused:

Obviously, if you're braking hard, then you'd probably pull in the clutch. But what about when you see a red light in the distance? Is it incorrect to pull in the clutch and coast to the red light and slowing down using your brakes instead of the engine (of course while still shifting down to match your speed, but never engaging the clutch)?

Yeah, I know coast into and through corners is a no-no. Can't see why coasting to a stop is bad. I'm usually downshifting on my way to a stop anyways. Instinctually I tend to grab the clutch and brake at the same time. Like if I see a car at an intersection wanting to turn and I haven't ascertained if he/she's going to turn in front of me or after me I roll off, pull in the clutch and if needed begin applying brake. Seems to make sense as even without touching the throttle your bike is being propelled forward, which is the opposite of what you want in a braking situation, so pull in the clutch and brake makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom