Use of GPS devices “discouraged”? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Use of GPS devices “discouraged”?

Msowsun

This sign is on Monk Rd. near Highway 28 just outside of Bancroft, Ontario.

Why would anyone want to discourage the use of GPS?

E3C5224D-140C-4DCF-8835-7C3661B18B3F.jpeg

Hahaha. I can't speak to that area specifically, but there are some well known errors in GPS navigation systems. To get to my inlaws cottage, it routes me to a boat launch and tells me to drive 300m across the lake to my destination. Near apsley, there is a road with huge signs as so many people blindly follow GPS and get stuck. I know of at least one house where most navigation systems stick you kilometres away on the far side of an unopened concession. In short, you still have to engage your brain and many many people blindly follow the track on the screen.

I think the real problem is navigation, not GPS, however most people don't understand the distinction.

Deals Gap is like that as well. GPS routes huge 18-wheelers onto the Tail of the Dragon as the "quickest route" and then they're stuck trying to negotiate 270° corners while a lineup of motorcycles and sports cars builds up behind them.

5735118bedc5b.image.jpg

For somewhere like deals gap or the few roads with switch backs in Ontario, do you have any idea why they don't put a height bar at each end where they have room to turn around (like they put on parking garages or drive throughs)? Yes, I know, it is length and not height that is the major issue once you get in there, but I would expect if you set a bar at 10' or so, anything taller than that would also be too long to safely transit.

HG-CDBE-CPBE.jpg

EDIT:

Hell, for something like TOTD, put a shall chicane on each end with tire shredders on the inside of the corners. That ensures the vehicle and driver are capable of making it through (or don't make it in).

For somewhere like deals gap or the few roads with switch backs in Ontario, do you have any idea why they don't put a height bar at each end where they have room to turn around (like they put on parking garages or drive throughs). Yes, I know, it is length and not height that is the major issue once you get in there, but I would expect if you set a bar at 10' or so, anything taller than that would also be too long to safely transit.

They don't have a bar, but they have a sign:

NewSign.jpg

However, seems some truckers would rather trust the GPS over a road sign...

They don't have a bar, but they have a sign:

NewSign.jpg

However, seems some truckers would rather trust the GPS over a road sign...
People are dumb. Signs don't work. You need to hit them in the head or pop their tires to get their attention.

When we first move here, we'd see people pull up to the neighbor across the street's house, look at it strangely, and then drive off.
Later I found out by accident that her house was flagged as having a Scotiabank cash machine in it.
She had been a loans officer or something there, and had a phone line the bank paid for.
Somehow that grew online into being a full on branch, after she retired.

Signs, flashing lights, safety bar, and now a flashing sign.
The 11'8" (12'4" now) can opener:

I believe when you enter the forks from hwy 10? There are numerous signs telling truck to turn around. So obviously the first one was not enough..

Well, similar to when Michael Scott drove into the lake.

An inaccurate GPS will get you very lost. It's just saying know where you are on your own.
Was it apple that had people driving into lakes at one stage?

I grew up on that road ( actually in a house ) from the ages of 6 to 19. I believe the GPS warning has more to do the blind corners, road surfaces changing from pavement to gravel and back again without warning. My father still lives there and I visit regularly . And please,spell the name right, it's Monck Road.

Sent from my UMIDIGI X using Tapatalk

This sign is on Monk Rd. near Highway 28 just outside of Bancroft, Ontario.

Why would anyone want to discourage the use of GPS?

E3C5224D-140C-4DCF-8835-7C3661B18B3F.jpeg
What the really mean to say is:

THERE ARE NO TWISTY OR INTERESTING ROADS IN THIS AREA. GO HOME.

Back
Top Bottom