USA/Canada from Ontario to California | GTAMotorcycle.com

USA/Canada from Ontario to California

Flatliner

Hey GTAM,

I just came back from an absolutely amazing 22 day tour across the USA & Canada and thought I'd share with you my Facebook albums from this little trip. Ever since I got my first 500CC Vulcan 13 years ago, the motorcycling bug bit me and bit me hard. This is really my first trip outside of Ontario and it was a doozy.

If you ever have a chance to follow your passion, follow it with gusto. You won't regret it.

Cheers.

I know most of these photos doesn't show off the motorbike but I still hope you'll still enjoy the scenery.

USA/Canada 2011 - Days 1-14
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150286908910196.379162.721135195&l=c351417ec0

Hit the limit of number photos in an given album, so here are the rest:

USA/Canada 2011 - Days 15-22
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150309192925196.384730.721135195&l=4d9c2a98c4

STATISTICS:
Dates: June 17 to July 8, 2011
Actual travel days: 18
Kilometres Ridden: 13,310
States & Provinces passed through: 17 & 4:
Ontario, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, Utah, Arizona, Nevada, California, Oregon, Washington, British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, North Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin
Deers seen: 15.5 dead, 6 live
Number of times ears popped: 4
Total number of photos taken: 726

Last edited:
Awesome trip! Just scanned through your photos and it brings back memories. Theres so much to see on the west side of America. Do you have more pictures?

Btw, on your SPOT, you can create a SPOT adventures page where it draws your whole trip as a continuous line instead of breaking it up day by day.

Thanks. These are the more interesting photos. The rest are more of the same road shots, etc., trees, etc. I agree, the West side of North America is much more varied. I did get some video footage using my Android phone and the ram mount through Badlands Nat. Park and the roads leading up to Yellowstone. The resolution isn't great and the wind noise is loud so I didn't post them. I should've gotten the Contour or the GoPRO HD before I left but decided to get the Zumo GPS.

I only realized to create the SPOT adventures page after I finished the tour and unfortunately it only captured the last 5 days of the journey. Oh well, the main goal for the SPOT was to alleviate some worries my family had. I read your Epic Trip from Toronto to California on a 600RR blog before I left and I thought, wow amazing! It was much colder when you went and I didn't do any camping since I'm not that tough. I did bring an emergency bivouac just in case.

I thought California had crazy drivers. For scenery, Montana was my favorite although Banff comes in a close second and Badlands is third.

I love the "point of interest sign" correct this on the way to Portal... If I recall corretly its near one of the "oil" towns

Went to Saskatoon a few years back saw this spot on the way there and on the way back. Never could figure out what was so interesting heading into or heading out :confused::D

Last edited:
Great pics, I'm presently here in Vancouver and will continue the next part going south to LA then back to TO- then Delaware.
Any good POI from BC to SF?

djez if you are coming LA way, let me know. Happy to go for a ride with you.

BC to SF take PCH 1 in Northern California... truly amazing. If you want some SF - LA ideas, let me know. There are some side highways that are truly amazing.

Unfortunately I was on a bit of a time crunch from California and took the I-5. Going through the mountain range with its massive walls of rock on either side was a unique experience.

The PCH 1 looks fantastic on Google Streetview though and I'll definitely check it out the next time I go. :D

thats some amazing photos u've taken there bro! hopefully 1 day i'll do a trip like that too! those US twistie roads make me jealous lol

Will spend time visiting the aquarium in Vancouver first with friends kids, then plan to sleep at Mt Rainer. Then Ill stick to the coast through the redwood national Park. I'm looking at campsites beside the beach such as gold bluffs beach at redwood national park.

I love the "point of interest sign" correct this on the way to Portal... If I recall corretly its near one of the "oil" towns

Went to Saskatoon a few years back saw this spot on the way there and on the way back. Never could figure out what was so interesting heading into or heading out :confused::D

Yeah, I did a quick Google search on Point of Interest signs but the results weren't specific to this one. This sign is 46km from Moose Jaw. The exact location is 50.466557,-106.001021. Enter that in Google Maps and check it out on Streetview.

WOW that was one epic trip! Those photos are amazing.

How much did your trip cost in total for those 21 days? and did you do this alone?!?!

Thanks, it was a solo trip but I didn't feel alone. Posting the photos and comments on Facebook kept me connected. I've never done a group ride...maybe one day I'll actually hang out with my fellow riders :).

My cost calculations would be based on 18 days since I stayed 4 days at my sister's place, I estimate the cost of the trip to be close to $2700 ($800 for gas, $1350 for lodging averaged at around $75 per night, and $30 a day for food).

Other items I needed for this trip but would be useful long after were luggage ($250), luggage rack ($200), back-rest ($180), seat cushion ($135), throttle-lock ($225), GPS ($400), electrical work to hook up the GPS and a 12volt power outlet ($160), dry-bags (2x$25), and a SPOT Satellite GPS tracker ($150 + $150/yr subscription) = $1900. I also bought a new pocket camera but I needed one anyways. I'm glad I got it, the camera takes pretty good photos.

Cool trip - great pix - makes me want to head back out west again and catch all the places I missed in June.

Back
Top Bottom