Touring on a Suzuki GW250 19,000+km | GTAMotorcycle.com

Touring on a Suzuki GW250 19,000+km

guzzirider

GW250-1.JPG
Purchased brand new, tax and PDI included for $2999.00 with 5 year warranty.

250cc straight twin producing 26HP
Liquid cooled, fuel injected and no ABS
Top speed about 130kph and cruises all day at 95 to 105 kph.
Modifications where adition of windshield with extension.
Front sprocket with 1 tooth larger (same as Asian version)
Rear carrier bodged from a windsurfing boom and plywood (I am just to cheap to pay $250.00 for aftermarket)
Nelson-Rigg bags.
Modified seat with more padding in front so I did not slide forward against tank.
I am 5'8 with a 29 inch inseam and weigh about 175lb

At the time I only had vintage bikes and for the price & thought it would make a good townie with maybe a few short Sunday rides.
I had planned a 12 day 5000 km trip to BC with a friend and was going to rent a bigger bike.
The rental was going to cost almost as much as the purchase price of the GW250 so what was there to loose.
19000+ kilometers proved that decision correct. Sold the bike in 2019 for $1800.00
I now regret selling the bike but it was sitting in my sisters shed in Kingston and home was Edmonton AB.

I have been riding since age 16 and am now 70 years of age.
I have owned 4 Moto Guzzi ( 850T, 850T5, 1200 Norge and currently a V7iii Milano)
The fastest bike was a Laverda RGS1000 that has been rumoured to have done 250+ kph between Hurst and Nippigon.
I have owned over 100 motorcycles in my life.
The GW250 rates near the top of the list for best liked.

Anyway on too my trips.

IMG_0907.JPG

This is a composite of 13 day maps that where combined into 1
It is functional if loaded onto my iPad mini in an App called MapMe.
It contains 185 way points (made not visible to declutter the map)

2017 BC Trip.png

20017 Alberta, BC & Washington 12 days 5013 kilometers.
No rain the entire trip but had to do 750 km (2 days rolled into 1) to out run a huge snow storm.
The other rider was on a Honda 1000 Varadaro.
He could pretty much keep up in the corners but would blow past me on the occasional straight just to keep me from getting to cocky.
At one point I was being chased by a Ducati on a section of road with corners posted at 50kph with no straights between them.
He just could not get past me and when the road started straighten out I slowed down and waived him past.
He pulled up beside me to see what I was ridding.
When he discovered that I was on a 250 I think it ruined his day.
My bad! we are supposed to be courteous to other riders.
Nothing like soaking in a hot spring to relieve the sores of riding. (Aintworth, Nakusp pus several more)
Notable rides in Central BC are:
Kaslow to New Denver
Nakusp to Vernon thru Needles
Creston to Belfor
Up the hill from Osoyoos and if you have the brakes and nerve, down the hill into Osoyoos
West Side Road along Okanagan Lake that has been vote worst road in BC by cage drivers (TOO MANY CORNERS!!)
Nakusp to Nelson on hwy 6
Route 3 from Pincher Creek to Vancouver.

Hi Ho Hi Ho off to Ontario we go.
8 Days 4261 Kilometers
No rain other than a shower as I was pulling into Prince Albert SK.
I carried a 5
litre can off gas because in the southern praries gas stations in small towns are often key card and no premium gas.
I never needed it but was close a few times.
The only problem was I lost all power to the bike in Chaplleau ON
Thought it was just the side stand not up. Gave it a kick and the bike started. Problem solved or I thought (see later in story).
I left the bike In Kingston after doing some day rides (about 1000 km total) and flew back to Alberta.

IMG_0027.png

2018 Edmonton-Kingston.png

In the Spring of 2019 I returned to Ontario to retrieve my trusty steed from storage.
I had planned a 5,400 kilometre, 15 day trip in the Adirondacks, Catskills and Green Mountains.
The plan was to stay at a base locations for 2 to 5 days.
Do to the flexibility of optional routes I was able to avoid some of the rain.
Over the trip I only had 2 wet days but some of the mornings where only a few degrees above freezing.
Usually by afternoon it would be above 20 degrees.
I stayed in an Airbnbs in Jay (Lake Placid), Peter Corner (Lake George), Livington Manor (Southern Catskills) and Barnveld (Western Adirondacks)
I attended the 37th Americade and test drove some bikes plus doing day trips.
Woodstock!! 50 years too late but I finnally made it.
The Bethel Woods Center for the Arts situated on the original site is a must.
Willy Nelson, Santana, Sting, Beach Boys and Gordon Lightfoot are some of the entertainers who perform here.
Book seats in the pravillion or rent a lawn chair and sit on the hill.
Our guide for the museum tour was a lighting tech during the original festival and had many insights into what really happened.
In my travels there where 21 covered bridges and I drove across 18 of them.
Most of the roads I travelled where posted at 50-55 mph.
Remind me why I need a litre bike!!
I had a fabulous time with wonderfull Airbnb hosts with only one glitch.
Remember the problem in Chaplleau ON?
I crossed back into Canada by ferry from Cape Vincent to Wolf Island.
The bike would not start and had no power (no dash lights).
The bike was pushed off the ferry and thru Customs/Immigration.
The owners of the ferry loaded the bike into their truck after the next trip and drove me to the Wolf Island ferry to Kingston.
They said they where going for lunch anyway and refused my offer to buy.
After pushig the bike on & off the ferry I called K-tec and they sent a trailer for the bike.
It turned out to be the main solenoid and had one in stock so I was back on the road next day.
The GW250 went back into storage and I returned home to Edmonton.

This is a screen shot of my iPad mini and is a composite of 15 day maps
Red pins are coffee/food/toilet, Green pins are covered bridges, purple are accommodation and brown pins are gas station
2019 Compilation.JPG
Americade.JPG
IMG_1086.JPG
woodstock.jpgBethel Woods Center.png

I sold the bike with gust under 20,000 kilometers.
I truly miss it and have been looking to buy a used one but everybody want more than I paid new!
And to all the Harley (see Indian, Honda Gold Wing, Victory or 875 lb Yamaha Star Eluder) riders sitting at the local Tim Hortons who commented that I was a brave soul travelling so far on such a small bike. Get a life! What I saved on purchase price paid for my trips.
Yes I am the first to admit big bikes have there place, just not in my garage.

And coming soon
Touring on a 50 year old 125cc Yamaha 2 stroke.

and final note
cage driver - think 4 wheels

Last edited:
Robert Persig (of Zen and the art of MC maintenance) completed his epic 2 up ride on a 1966 Honda Super Hawk with all of 305cc's.

If you NEED a full liter or more you're probably doing it wrong.

Robert Persig (of Zen and the art of MC maintenance) completed his epic 2 up ride on a 1966 Honda Super Hawk with all of 305cc's.

If you NEED a full liter or more you're probably doing it wrong.
Nobody needs a litre but the drive out of a corner puts a smile on your face every time.

I once met a couple in Sault Ste. Marie who where on a trip from Montreal to Vancover on a Honda 90 Cub
The total weight of the riders was near 500lbs.
When I asked the woman passenger what they did on the steep hills her answer was she got off and walked to the top and waited for her husband.
Its all in the attitude.

What puts a smile on my face is coming to a corner, picking my braking point at the fastest and latest point, deciding on a route thru the corner depending on pavement condition and shape of corner, adjusting foot, hand pressure & body position to maintain that line thru the corner and then excelerating at the soonest possible time without braking the back tire loose. Then I usually back off to near the speed limit and wait for the next corner. If I get 10 corners in a row without any straights I have been know to start giggling. Anything else is just drag racing.

Great Ride Report

Excellent write up and I'm another fan of small bikes. My CB300F sips gas but cruises easily at 110 kph with more left and 300km on 10 liters of fuel is appreciated every time.
I'm 75 and also riding 50+ years. First bike was Honda Superhawk 305.....very similar in ability to my current ride but the CB has way better brakes and shocks.
Glad you are still riding. Passed my driver check up which is now annual and aiming for riding til I'm 80 but have an eBike as a fall back tho I feel safer on the CB.
I try to ride twice a week at least and more if I can. I get rusty very quickly.

What puts a smile on my face is coming to a corner, picking my braking point at the fastest and latest point, deciding on a route thru the corner depending on pavement condition and shape of corner, adjusting foot, hand pressure & body position to maintain that line thru the corner and then excelerating at the soonest possible time without braking the back tire loose. Then I usually back off to near the speed limit and wait for the next corner. If I get 10 corners in a row without any straights I have been know to start giggling. Anything else is just drag racing.
Not that there's anything wrong with that.....

IMG_8485.jpg

Back
Top Bottom