To train or not to train? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

To train or not to train?

Always train.

Motorcycling has a far higher skill floor, but similar skill ceiling to operating a car. The stuff they teach you on the M2Exit does not result in what I'd call a sufficient skill floor (not saying it's useless; it is perfectly valid for the time they provide.) You can acquire a sufficient skill floor by understanding the physics and how things work (hanging off, traction, target fixation, rake and trail.) Once armed with the base line knowledge of how things work, you can reach for the infinite skill ceiling through practice and failure.

Vast majority have too much ego to subject themselves to failure, so assume what they know is sufficient, and proceed to do a whole lot of bullshitting.

Bottom line: I am always a student and never a master. I will continue to train, reflect, and fail to become faster and stronger than the me from yesterday.

I like how you say that you will continue to train and reflect because I think some people think that they can go to one riding school or take one series of schools and then they are done, like they put in the time and learned some stuff and now they don't have to work on it anymore....but I think that the best riders in the world are constantly working on technique and fitness and understanding their machines in order to become better and better and to push the envelope. So I appreciate your comment that training is not something you just do once but continue to utilize over and over. I'm a riding coach, yes but I'm constantly seeking out ways to improve on my own riding, from training in other disciplines (motocross, flat track, mini bikes etc) to improving my own fitness, to being a student myself and learning from others. It's a never ending process :)

+1 I've been riding a while and haven't taken any formal training since my beginning course. But I consider my self still learning. When something new or improved comes along, I try it out and if it's good I incorporate it into my street riding.

Back
Top Bottom