Throttle push/pull adjustment | GTAMotorcycle.com

Throttle push/pull adjustment

TwistedKestrel

King of GTAM
Site Supporter
This is an embarassing question, but I forget how this works and the factory manual does not mention this whatsoever. It used to be hard won knowledge but it leaked out somehow. How do you set freeplay on the "decelerator" cable? Like I know where the adjuster is and how to manipulate it, but what is your goal when adjusting it? Every single guide I've found on the internet omits this completely and only covers adjusting freeplay on the "accelerator" cable, which is simple enough.

You are slightly shortening the outer sheath on the pull cable :unsure: wow I sure hope I said that right lets try another way,
you want to make the pull cable work less effective.
That will result in freeplay at the twist grip, but the cable that makes sure the throttle slams shut, will slam it all the way shut.

Model should not really matter, they all have either only one cable that is pulled tight by a spring like on a competition dirt bike throttle,
or they have a second cable safety feature added to make sure the throttle can be shut down manually, even if the throttle hangs up causing the engine to rev uncontrollably. That's the only reason the second cable is on there, it is not required to make the engine function it's a safety feature.

The reason you are not finding a spec for free-play on the decelerator cable
(the one that prevents the throttle from accidentally sticking in an open throttle position)
is because it should not have any free-play in that cable, once you have introduced a small amount of free-play in the accelerator cable, that's all you need & you now have an idle adjuster screw that will function within the range of that cable free-play.

Roger, thanks. I just remember screwing it up before on a ZX-11, and the idle would drop if you cranked the bars to the stops

Roger, thanks. I just remember screwing it up before on a ZX-11, and the idle would drop if you cranked the bars to the stops
That's a different situation again, something was pulling the throttle decelerator cable tight or the throttle cable was too tight and stoping the throttle valve from contacting the idle screw adjuster. Either way the idle screw is the physical stop that the cables should hand off to and idle should never drop below where the idle stop screw is set. The free-play is not in there to accommodate a change in the cable action when the bars are turned, that is more likely indicative of a faulty or improperly routed cable :|

Reactions: TK4

Back
Top Bottom