Taxes on buying a used motorcycle? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Taxes on buying a used motorcycle?

Ive put 1$ on every slip they handed me while doing the paper work at the MTO for every bike Ive ever purchased and registered. Just tell the seller to throw out the letter "if" they get one.
Only some sellers are aholes and do respond to those letters, sometimes with an even higher amount that you paid. I swear I read a post here too about someone claiming to do just this.

Dont feel bad skirting around this particular tax... it's just greed on the part of the gov't.
They can try to collect only because the bike/car is registered and they know when it changes hands.
It's a huge charade... we cheat on it. They know we cheat on it, but.... theres little they can do about it.
They get to collect some money which is better than no money...

Thanks for the responses everyone. Bought a bike yesterday and will be registering it on Saturday. Seller brought up the taxes himself and said F the tax grab. I'm still a little cautious though so won't go to too low since it's a 2018 barely broken in.

pictures or it never happened ;)

... jus kidding congrats on the bike purchase.

Only some sellers are aholes and do respond to those letters, sometimes with an even higher amount that you paid. I swear I read a post here too about someone claiming to do just this.

no words.....our species never seizes to disappoint me.

Exactly. When ins. asks what you paid, you tell them it WORTH $xxx. What you paid is irrelevant.
My insurance company valued my bike at more than I paid for it. Apparently they use their own system to determine value, but then I am wondering why did they even ask how much I paid?

Yes, you can cheat the system. It currently still relies on honesty. But really, if you need to cheat on the tax, then you can't afford to ride.
Didnt the provincial government just vote to keep using only contracted employees that are unionized, rather than saving tens of millions of $. They can go get ******

What you paid for the bike is of no concern to the ins company. They pay the market value + hst.
If this wasnt the case, one could buy X bike for $4000, tell their insurance company they paid $10K for it and then promptly have it disappear.

you can lie on the uvip but be reasonable.

insurance companies have their own method to determine the value of your motorcycle...

Back
Top Bottom