Starting Trouble - desperately in need of advice! (1983 Honda VT 750 C) | GTAMotorcycle.com

Starting Trouble - desperately in need of advice! (1983 Honda VT 750 C)

moecruise

Hey,

Just bought this 1983 Honda VT 750 C Shadow, and it worked fine the same night, rode it on the highway and came back, and then in the middle of the night felt the urge to ride it again, when tried to start it, it would just make the sound like its about to fire, but woundn't fire up :mad: Eventually it drained the battery when I kept trying to start it.

I put the battery on charge for five hours, and it was done charging, I tried starting again, and it worked after a few tries, but had to keep giving it throttle, b/c felt like it was going to die again!!

After a while it was okay, took it on the highway, came back to gas station, left it running for 10 min, and slowly it sounded it like its about to die, i rushed to touch the throttle, and as soon as i gave it lil bit of that, it died!

Tried starting numerous times, with choke on/off, to no avail, told mechanic to pick it up, he changed spark plugs, said they were covered in oil, when i looked at the old ones they were clean :S , he said that was before he cleaned them with a wire brush, im not sure if he's lying, why would he clean them with a wire brush!? (not sure!, maybe to see if they would be okay to reuse ?:S dont know!)

Anyway, he tried said he tried starting after that, almost started for 2 seconds, then died, he checked new spark plugs again to see if they got covered in oil again, and they wereclean, he said he drained the carbs and gas came out :| ..and then eventually said he gave up, b/c theres too many safety features on the bike and it could be anything preventing the bike to start, and he cant also find the fuse box!

So here I am, i have no experience with these cruisers, and I am looking for someone to point me in the right direction pls! Need to get on the road asap!!

After you start the bike how low is the idle? Open the fuel cap and try to start it. Could be the filler cap is not venting and you dont have air behind fuel. It will make it bogg down and die. It also could be a spark problem. I have heard of a few bike after they run for a bit and the coils warm up is will produce less spark and die. For the spark, as your riding it could be cooling it down enough to keep them going. Also for the tank, as your riding it could be forcing air into the vent lines enought to keep it running. Hard to tell, could be many diferent things wrong that would give you the same effect.

EDIT: Also the only way the plugs would be covers in oil is if the bike has a bad set of rings and is allowing oil to creep up past them. Does it puke out alot of blue smoke once you get it started?

Last edited:
There's no need to panic.

Start with the simple and work to the more complex. You did start your bike and rode it on the highway. This should mean that your fuel system is Ok and in general the bike's electrical system runs Ok.

The most obvious issue is your battery. If you don't know how old it is then you may need to change it. Jump start your bike using a car (car OFF). If it starts then the battery may be at fault. If it still does not then it's something else. These bikes need a reasonable charge on the battery or they refuse to start.

Check your battery terminals to ensure they are clean and tight. Also check the ground connection to the frame.

Get a multimeter and measure your battery at idle. it should be around 12v or so. Rev to 5k RPM and the battery should read ~14.5v. If these cases are true then your rectifier and regulator are also Ok. For each electric start you need to run your bike over 4k RPM for about 10 minutes in order to replenish the power you used for the starter. Idling the bike will not recharge the battery.

If you are in North York you could try Rosey Toes.

Back
Top Bottom