"SPOT" Tracker on sale/clearance | GTAMotorcycle.com

"SPOT" Tracker on sale/clearance

7up

Site Supporter
I have not been able to find it online but yesterday (May 25th) I found that Canadian Tire had the Spot Tracker on clearance for only $57. Excellent deal if you are planning any long trips and the emergency/help features that works where there is no cell service is comforting. They are in the Hunting/Outdoor area (not automotive).
Spot Tracker
Service Plan

It isn't on the website although I'm sure I saw a Spot in the cabinet last time I was at the local CTire. I might have to pick one up. I though the Spot Connect would be neat too since one could use their smart phone.

Is this the 1st gen or the 2gen Spot? I bet this is the 1st generation one. Still, good deal.

oh-really.gif

Sounds like a good deal!
Just got the flyer for radioworld and it's on sale for 99$ or something in that area.

I may just have to get it while it's this cheap!

How effective is their SOS system, especially out in the bush?

I cant comment on their SOS system but I have experience with their other functions.

Generally, you should be in an open area when you send a message. If you are in a building, the message may or may not go through. There is a light indicating whether or not it went through. If it doesnt go through the first time, there will be a notification and the device will try to keep sending it every X number of minutes or until you turn the unit off.

It shouldnt be a problem in the bush, I"ve only had weak signal inside a building and the message usually sends when I step outside.

I think if you send an SOS, the SPOT team monitors it and attempts to send help until you deactivate SOS. If I'm not mistaken, if you lose battery power or somehow break the device while an SOS message is still active, they'll send help to the last known location.

I picked it up at the Stouffville CT @ 48 south of Stouffville Rd. $57.79. As it is not on their website I think it is an actual "clearance".
There was 1 left in the display so if you can't find one at your local CT let me know and I'll grab it for you if I can.

I haven't even opened the box yet but I think the SOS button works even without subscribing to the service. If I'm not mistaken that would be similar to cell phones in that a call to 911 has to go through even if the phone is not active on a service plan.

Last edited:
When you register pay the extra $12.00/yr for the SAR insurance, $100,000 worth of SAR if you need it. I have my SPOT and it's great. I think my subscription was about $180/year for basic + tracking + SAR insurance.

Garry

I was back in Canadian Tire tonight, long story but anyway, I asked if they could check if the other CT's close by had any in stock and they do but some stores are still selling them for $169 while others have them on sale for between $99-$129. It turns out the store I spotted them at is the only store selling them at clearance for $57.79. I guess that is why the sale does not appear on-line or in the flyer.

The $57.79 price appears in their system so you could try and ask your local CT to check their system and match the price. Claim discrimination or something. You are almost as deserving as us Stouffvillians....right?

Last edited:
I went into my CTire store yesterday to pick one up but they're all gone. I thought I saw one at Walmart as well, and it was on sale, although I'm not sure it was going for $57.

I went into my CTire store yesterday to pick one up but they're all gone. I thought I saw one at Walmart as well, and it was on sale, although I'm not sure it was going for $57.

See if you can get a raincheck, thats way too good of a price to pass up if you were planning to get one anyways

I don't think you will get a raincheck as it appears as "discontinued" on thier system meaning they will no longer carry the SPOT tracker.
Anyway here is my recent adventure...when I finally opened the box to check out the unit the box was empty!! Batteries, warranty card, instructions, etc. all there but no device. I returned to CT and explained they had sold me an empty box and of course the Manager (a kid) said "How do we know you didn't just take it out when you left the store?" I had to explain that I do not open every box or package before I leave any store especially when they were in a locked cabinet. While waiting for him to figure out what to do I bought the other (last) unit for $57.79.
Today I went to CT in Toronto (L&L) and they had the same SPOT on sale for $49!!! So I bought it, then I got a call from the first CT they agreed that they probably had one on display and didn't put it back in the box so they gave me another one.
The Manager told me that if you go to another CT and have them pull up the Stouffville or Lakeshore/Leslie location price they most likely will match thier price. Good Luck. Let me know if sending you a copy of the receipt will help. I have had some PM's come in asking if I could pick up a unit for them. If they do not end up taking them I'll let you know. ($57.79 +tax+large dbl/dbl) w/original receipt.:thumbup:
Told ya it was a long story. haha.

Back
Top Bottom