Speed is my Need on Netflix | GTAMotorcycle.com

Speed is my Need on Netflix

justride

It was an ok doc.

your wife is not going to watch it. lol

Terrible.

It's like the documentary makers wanted to appeal to people who don't know anything about motorcycle racing and decided the only way to capture their attention was to just show crash after crash after crash.

Like making a hockey documentary and just showing the fights.

Also, the intercuts to the sports psychologists echoing what all the racers were saying was redundant and annoying:

Colin Edwards: "You just get addicted to that speed"
Psychologist: "Motorcycle racers are addicted to the exhiliration and thrill of the speed"

Colin Edwards: "You get older and you get slower"
Psychologist: "Motorcycle racers get slower when they get older"

Stupid.

Makes you really appreciate the Faster series.

Well, I didn't think "terrible", but it was focused too much on crashes and injuries and bad stuff than on triumphs and overcoming adversity and good stuff. I suppose it's to be expected from sensationalist mainstream-media being involved in the production. It's not something you want to use to sell the idea of participating in roadracing to your family or spouse. The "Faster" series is getting to be a few years old but was, and is, much better.

If you can handle picking up a book and reading as opposed to watching something on a screen ... Jonathan Rae's recent autobiography book "Dream, Believe. Achieve" is really good. I think it's better written than Valentino Rossi's autobiography "What if I never tried it" from a few years ago. (I have both) It probably helps that JR is a native English speaker ...

If you can handle picking up a book and reading as opposed to watching something on a screen ... Jonathan Rae's recent autobiography book "Dream, Believe. Achieve" is really good. I think it's better written than Valentino Rossi's autobiography "What if I never tried it" from a few years ago. (I have both) It probably helps that JR is a native English speaker ...

Funny you mention that:

jr-L.jpg

I actually finished it a few days ago. Picked it up on your recommendation in another thread. So belated thanks for that!

Interesting seeing how he's from a racing family, but a lot of the first half of the book I could have skipped.

You were right, it is interesting reading about the behind-the-scenes machinations of how he jumped from Honda to Kawasaki.

His side of the clashes between Tom Sykes and Chaz Davies is kinda cringey, he comes across as a bit smug and douchey, but it also reveals his personality which is a good thing, you don't want a filtered, PC, PR-sanitized account in an autobiography. You don't get to be World Champion by being humble. Oh wait... Nicky Hayden...

Anyway, although those sections were cringey, it was a bit of a guilty pleasure reading it, like watching bad soaps on TV...

That's reality, though. Real reality, not the fake reality on so-called "reality TV" (which I've stopped watching). Conflicts and disagreements are inevitable when there's that much at stake, and it's obviously being seen from his viewpoint, not theirs. I'm sure Tom Sykes would have had something different to say about a few things in that book ...

Nicky Hayden was indeed special (RIP). But even he couldn't make the CBR1000 work - as far as I could tell, he only beat JR once - at Sepang, in the wet. I don't recall him writing an autobiography - I don't think he ever got the chance - he was obviously a piece of the story in the "Faster" series.

WSBK guys don't get the recognition they deserve. Look at the comments section...

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom